Author Topic: Harris Family of Penrhynside, Pant Y Wennol etc.  (Read 12608 times)

Offline janet jellicoe

Re: Harris Family of Penrhynside, Pant Y Wennol etc.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »
Hi, Just joined the forum and found a conversation about the Harris family Pant y Wennol and Mount Pleasant Penrhynside. I have 2 postcards sent from the trenches in Belgium from Robert Harris 10 Mount Pleasant. He sent them to my Nain (Nell Harris) his cousin. Her father was Robert Alfred Harris , brother to Robert George Harris. Would be interested to hear from any other relatives. Janet

Offline Margaret J

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:36 pm »
Hi, Just joined the forum and found a conversation about the Harris family Pant y Wennol and Mount Pleasant Penrhynside. I have 2 postcards sent from the trenches in Belgium from Robert Harris 10 Mount Pleasant. He sent them to my Nain (Nell Harris) his cousin. Her father was Robert Alfred Harris , brother to Robert George Harris. Would be interested to hear from any other relatives. Janet

Offline Margaret J

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »
Hi Janet
Sorry didn't mean to quote you, just getting my head round responding.

My father Hugh Harris was Robert Harris' brother.  He was one of the youngest of the 14 children, would be interested to see copies of the postcards from Robert Harris as he was my Uncle.  We have visited the memorial at Tyne Cot where he is listed.

Also would like more information on Pant Y Wennol where Ellen my great, grandmother was from but apparently my great grandfather Robert Harris was from Melborne, Derbyshire.  I think Ellen's maiden name was Evans.

I have quite a-lot of information about the paternal side of the family but not much on the maternal side, so any new information would be great.

MargaretJ

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 03:57:28 pm »
This is Pant Y Wennol in February 2015 when I had a walk in that area.    In the 1800's there were three little terraced blocks of ten houses in total and the old Chapel of Penberth ( on the right of the photo) was opened in 1861 but later closed and was converted into a house.
Nowadays the cottages have been modernised  and there are only a few families up there but the views are fantastic.

Offline Margaret J

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 12:24:55 pm »
Thanks for the photo we were up there last week and thought that cottage was the old chapel, appreciate the confirmation.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:49 pm »
Penberth was originally the Chapel for Pant Y Wennol and was opened in 1861 but when the larger  Bethania Chapel opened in Craig Y Don in 1886 most of the Chapel members preferred to worship there.
As a result Penberth Chapel later closed and was converted into a house.
I don't know if you are aware or not but the late Kenneth Dibble wrote a very interesting booklet on Bodafon and Pant Y Wennol and you can see it at the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno.    He also wrote about Penrhynside and the Little Orme amongst other articles and there are loads of interesting details in all of them.

Offline Margaret J

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »
Thanks Hugo I have the Kenneth Dibble books except the one on Pant Y Wennol but next time I am in the Archive centre in Lloyd Street I will check it out.
Margaret J