Author Topic: Craig y Don history  (Read 10357 times)

Offline andyCYD

Craig y Don history
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:59 am »
Does anyone know if the history of Craig y Don has ever been documented? I would like to add a history section to www.craigydon.co.uk  but would not know where to start.

Thanks

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Craig y Don history
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:18 am »
There's a chapter of Ivor Wynne Jones' book about Craig Y Don:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Llandudno-Resorts-Ivor-Wynne-Jones/dp/0902375385/

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:08:59 am »
I was just about to post - Chapter 16 of Ivor Wynne Jones’ ‘Queen of the Welsh Resorts’ provides a very interesting overview.

Perhaps, Craigydonian may be able to help you better as I have only lived in C-y-D for 30 years.

However, around 10 years ago I can remember the late Bill Hitchinson wrote a useful book about the history of the local bowling club.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:53 am »
With the 2012 All-England Tennis Championship at Wimbledon nearly upon us, 2012 is the Centenary of when local solicitor, J C Parke, played in the singles and in the doubles (with A E Beamish) when Britain won the Davis Cup in 1912.

Mr Parke played his tennis at the Riddell & Jarvis public tennis ground where St David’s English Methodist Church stands today.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
Was he the "Parke" in Chamberlain, Johnson & Parke in Trinity Square?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
That has always been my guess, Stan.

Offline sam

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »

However, around 10 years ago I can remember the late Bill Hitchinson wrote a useful book about the history of the local bowling club.

Wouldn't mind reading that book as my late Grandfather George Harris was a member of the Bowling Club in CYD probably until the late 90's. He used to have loads of medals/trophies at home (also for darts though not sure what team he played for).

Have memories of my brother and I being taken to the green while he played bowls and that it was veeeeeery boring to us as kids. We weren't allowed to 'have a go ' of the game so spent our time trying to occupy ourselves and keep out of trouble and hoping to get some juice and biscuits at break time - the most exciting thing that could happen there as far as we were concerned!

My taid was also the Head Gardener in Craig Y Don park up until approx. the mid 60's when he took over the HG's job in Haulfre Gardens and Happy Valley where he lived and worked up until his early retirement around the mid 80's.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Craig y Don history - J C Parke
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »
Stan,

Yes he was a partner in Chamberlain, Johnson and Parke.  There is a small plaque near the front door of the office commemorating his achievements.  He was also an Irish Rugby International.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »
Wouldn't mind reading that book as my late Grandfather George Harris was a member of the Bowling Club in CYD 

sam, I have many fond memories of your taid and played alongside George several times in the Caernarfonshire county bowling team during the sixties and seventies.

I don’t believe George Harris ever playing for the C-y-D team in Clarence Road.

However, I do remember George being a regular midweek team player for the successful Queens Road Bowling Club, the other side of the hedge.

I also seem to remember him often riding a bicycle everywhere.

When George looked after the bowling green in Queens Road, it was in pristine condition; a far cry from the plough field it is today!

You can certainly feel very proud of him and his bowling achievements.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Craig y Don history - J C Parke
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:00 pm »
Stan,

Yes he was a partner in Chamberlain, Johnson and Parke.  There is a small plaque near the front door of the office commemorating his achievements.  He was also an Irish Rugby International.

I must look more closely next time - I went into their office only yesterday.

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:39 am »
Just did a quick google and found this site about J C Parke

http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/famousgaels/stories/parke.htm

Seems like he was a real sporting legend.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:58:29 am »
Amazing. I wonder how he found time to become a solicitor!

Offline sam

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »
sam, I have many fond memories of your taid and played alongside George several times in the Caernarfonshire county bowling team during the sixties and seventies.

Bri that's lovely to hear - it's nice to have a connection to my taid through someone else's memories of him.  $thanx$  Whoops I may have got the facts slightly wrong.....it would have been Queens Road then not Clarence Road - I didn't realise there were two clubs! Yes he always rode his pushbike everywhere until later on when he bought a moped! And yes I am and always have been very proud of him  :)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
Stan,

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:50:25 pm »
I have added a history page to craigydon.co.uk. If anyone would care to correct my errors and provide further details it would be very welcome.

I have gone for a simple, chronological list of key events. I will try to add additional pages for stories that deserve more detail.

The page is at http://craigydon.co.uk/home/craig-y-don-history/

Thanks

Andy