Author Topic: A55 problems and alternatives  (Read 58304 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: A55 problems and alternatives
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »
from Abergele town centre take a left at the lights, signposted Llanwrst.(A548) follow the road until you get to a crossroads (garage and caravan site on the left) take the right hand road,B5381 this takes you through Betws yn Rhos, follow the road until a staggered crossroads and you turn right B5113 down through Bryn y Maen taking you back down to Colwyn Bay,

I usually go straight over these crossroads as it takes you down to Glan Conwy corner. B5381

You can also get onto the Betws yn Rhos road from St Asaph by coming off the A55 at the industrial estate and going to the right at the roundabout

Sounds promising... could you imagine that you are coming from Flint to Llandudno, and amend this route... so I could email it directly to my builder?
I'd be most grateful.
Or are you saying Flint to Abergele is OK via the A55, then come off at Abergele?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:54 pm »
It's the route I tried to explain to you yesterday! :P

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »

Thats as maybe, but it doesn't make as much sense when its given only verbally to an ignorant Englishman.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 09:47:10 pm »
On my route it's Flint to St Asaph on the A55 come off at J27/J27a St Asaph and take the B5381 via Glascoed until it reaches the A548 to Abergele. Head into Abergele then either 1. take a left at the lights in the town centre to Llandullas or 2. one of the other routes suggested from Abergele suggested by Suepp or Yorkie. In short if going West you are on the A55 beyond Bodelwyddan you're stuffed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »
Thats as maybe, but it doesn't make as much sense when its given only verbally to an ignorant Englishman.
Fair point.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2011, 02:09:06 am »

From Flint I presume he joins the A55 at Caerwys heading down Rhuallt Hill,

You can come off  earlier than Abergele at St Asaph Business park to avoid Bodelwyddan and Abergele snarl-ups to  get onto the road to Glascoed as the Medz suggests,   just carry straight on which will bring you to the caravan  site crossroads/petrol station, (Penyrefail on the left) just go straight ahead to Betws -y-r. past Hunters Hamlet,

Have a look on Google earth, you will see the road runs almost parallel to the A55 from St Asaph

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2011, 02:30:18 am »

from St Asaph Business park (Jnct 26)  follow the road (past Optic centre on the left and Police HQ on the right)  up to the mini roundabout,  turn right onto the    B5381 this takes you past the back of Bodelwyddan castle where to avoid heading back down to the A55  at Engine Hill you have to bear left to stay on the B3581 through Moelfre and winding lanes to the crossroads (Penyrefail) which is shortly after the trout lakes on the right.  Go straight over the crossroads heading to Betws yn Rhos,  follow the road until a staggered crossroads and you turn right B5113 down through Bryn y Maen taking you back down to Colwyn Bay,  I usually go straight over these crossroads as it takes you down to Glan Conwy corner. B5381

Offline Trojan

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:48 am »
I have a builder travelling down from Flint and back each day ... its taking forever, and driving him mad, and my costs UP !

Why not hire a local builder?  ???

brumbob

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2011, 05:18:51 pm »
Winner ! Came off the A55 at J25 at Bodelwyddan  and took the B5381 via Glascoed until it reached the A548 to Abergele. Headed into Abergele and took Yorkie's suggested "rat run" through the housing estate by taking a left just after the 30MPH/"Welcome to Abergele" sign. Turned left at Gwyrch Castle  and back onto the A55 at Llandullas. Hardly any cars at all and probably only added about 10 to 15 minutes to the normal journey time. I'll be going over that route regularly for the next few weeks so hopefully it will continue to be quiet.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
Yes, my friend. Just remember two things.   ONE: The road through St Asaph Business Park is 30 mph.   It doesent look like it and there are very few small reminder signs.  TWO: North Wales traffic police H.Q. is right alongside you

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2011, 12:57:55 pm »
I was in Rhyl yesterday and came home via the coast road and found that the westbound slip road at Pensarn was closed!
There was a massive queue from the Abergele traffic light so I thought that I'd go down the side roads into Sea Road and avoid the queues but I was wrong   :rage:  there was a massive tailback there so there was no alternative other than to be patient and just wait for the traffic to move.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:18 pm »
Oh Great Joy. Hearing of excessive tailback  problems on the A55 east bound on the radio travel news I decided to take my "recently  regular hospital bound" journey from Llandudno to Wrexham using the Betwys yn Rhos B5381 route, only to find they now have "Road Closed" road works prior to Betws on that with a diversion very close to Old Colwyn. As a result  I met all the all the other rat run traffic trying to avoid the A55. grhh!!!!!!!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »
Isn't the work supposed to be completed this week?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 08:12:37 am »
The current bit, certainly, but the news ahead isn't good, with the Assembly talking about "the maintenance schedule for the next 12 months, which shows work stretching from Bangor in Gwynedd to the Flintshire-Cheshire border at Dobshill and which will be conducted as part of a rolling programme."

What I suspect the WA has singularly failed to grasp is the necessity of the A55 to the communities that live in North Wales.  It isn't an 'extra' road or an 'add-on' facility;  it's absolutely essential for people travelling to and from either of the hospitals, or to any of he major population centres. I'm willing to bet the M4 doesn't suffer the same problems.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.