Author Topic: A55 problems and alternatives  (Read 58322 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
A55 problems and alternatives
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »
Being a newbie I need a couple of pieces of advice re routes outof  here.

1. Is there a workable rat run run round the A55 Road works at St Asaph. (my son has to travel to Bromororough every day and is getting mightily ****** off with the hold ups)

2. Which is the best way of getting from LL to Heathrow. Is it M56 M6 etc or is there a better cross country route via Shrewsbury etc

thank you
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:08:47 am by Ian »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Getting out
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »
St Asaph on the A55 is a pain in the butt and has been for a few years and when I went past last week it seemed as bad as ever.
You can be lucky however, but it depends on what time of the day your journey is.
I'm sorry Medz but there is no easy way round that problem as St Asaph is probably the best bet for your son.
With regard to the journey to Heathrow. I did that journey twice last year and the Sat Nav picked the quickest route as M56,M6,M1 and then the M25

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »
I think Hugo is right about avoiding St Asaph. However you could try exiting the A55 at Abergele and going via Rhuddlan, Dyserth and rejoinging the A55 at Caerwys or vice-versa.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »
You couldn't do that route on a regular basis Bellringer, there are too many obstacles on the way as well as loads of 30mph speed limits and a new one of 20mph in Trelawnyd.
Just imagine peak hours or the school runs!
I lived in Dyserth for a few years and that High Street is really bad for traffic at the best of times.
On the way back from Chester I have taken the Trefnant turning and then gone through the St Asaph Industrial Estate but you have to know your way around there or you'll get lost. 

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Yes I think you're right Hugo and the better alternative is probably through Trefnant etc.

Frustrating as it might seem though sticking to the A55 is probably best.
How long is this work going to take?

Offline Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »
Yes I think you're right Hugo and the better alternative is probably through Trefnant etc.

Frustrating as it might seem though sticking to the A55 is probably best.
How long is this work going to take?

About eight weeks from the 3rd September, but remember Maesdu Bridge!!
I've travelled both ways thru it this afternoon and if you avoid peak rush hours there are no hold ups as I sailed through

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:43:07 am »
As they did with the August  they are probably hoping to complete just before half term holidays. Just waiting for the next sign to go up that says a new set of road works in the same place starting the week after half term !!! (or am I getting more cynical with old age)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:19 am »
At peak times returning towards St Asaph I've been getting off at Bodelwydden then up past the Castle onto the back lanes, this joins up to the Industrial estate and the lower Denbigh road. The Upper Denbigh road can get conjested towards Trefnant  but if you are on the lower road you can take a right before the junction  (signposted Henllan) this takes you to the Trefnant traffic lights - the road is closed but only after the crossroads! If you take the lower Denbigh road you go past the Topiarists garden!
Of course this is fine for me as I live in Ruthin but it is a long way off the beaten track if you want to go up the A55!
 http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/34490824.jpg
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:17:49 am by suepp »

Offline Jack

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:28:53 am »
The topiarists garden is fantastic, it should be a tourist attraction open to the public.  I have only noticed it in the last couple of years.  Suepp do you know how long the gardener has been 'working' on his bushes?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:49:56 am »
At least 15 years that I can remember!  A lot of coach drivers stop or slow down there to show it to the passengers, there are others in the garden not so easy to see from a car so coach passengers would get a good view.

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:21:46 am »
There is the story that the Council complained about the coaches stopping there which resulted in the "cock a snoot" being in a prominent position to the front!   L0L
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:34:07 am by Yorkie »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: A55 problems and alternatives
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:09 pm »
I know this area like the back of my hand.   Or,  I thought I did. I have no idea where this toparists garden is. I cannot believe this lack of my knowledge. I havent gone around that area so much for maybe the last five years, but even so---        Could anyone fill me in?  Mike

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:28 pm »
At the top of the double bend on the left. Went past myself today on the way to Afonwen Art & Craft Centre.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 09:04:19 pm »
There's a good view of the whole garden on Google earth

Offline dingo20

Best way to Heathrow
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:51:32 pm »
Best way to Heathrow for me was to park up at a friends near Manchester Airport and get a £65 BA flight to Heathrow considering the petrol costs and the long drive it worked for me (commuting)