Author Topic: Historic Jewish community in Llandudno  (Read 29622 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Historic Jewish community in Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:50 pm »
Does any one remember Mr. Langley?  he was a lovely man who had an antique or jewellers shop, can't remember which in one of those little shops next to the Con Club in Upper Mostyn Street.  Probably in the 1950's.

Offline Ashley Goodall

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »
Hi
My name is Ashley Goodall, I'm the son of Albert 'Bunney' Goodall (Abraham Goodstone) the son of Minnie Goodstone (Cohen) and Julius Goodstone. They were residents of Manchester (Cheetham).

I've just found this site and am intrigued as to the presence of a Jewish Community in Llandudno. I know from family in Manchester, the Sauls (once Zacharofskis) that Granny Minnie Goodstone had a Kosher food business in and around Llandudno. Sadly I never knew my grandmother Minnie Goodstone (Cohen).

I would love to hear from anyone that specifically remembers her or her business at this time. All I know of her was that she is supposed to have had distinctive flame red hair and spoke with a heavy accent. I'm not too sure why she came to Llandudno, but would be very happy to hear from anyone that has any information about her. I know that she also worked in the Penmaenmawr area as well.

Strangely enough my mother grew up in Llandudno as a child, she was Kathleen Hill, the daughter of Fred Hill one of the main gardners at the Haulfre gardens.

I now have an extensive record of the Goodstones in Britain, their family tree and other associated records.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 08:20:07 am »
Can't help you about your own family, but there is a rapidly growing Jewish community in Llandudno, now, with the hotel adjacent to Headlands having been purchased by an Orthodox / ultra Orthodox group and several dwellings along Llys Helg Drive now in similar hands. The old Railway Convalescent home in the same location is now a maternity home for Jewish Ultra Orthodox, I think. 

I have a Jewish friend from Manchester whom I see fairly regularly, so I'll ask him next time we meet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline sam

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:14 pm »
Hi, can't help you with you're enquiries either sorry but was interested to hear about your grandfather who was a gardener in Haulfre Gardens. My grandfather (taid) was also a gardener in Haulfre (head gardener if I am not mistaken) and lived in the flat above the Sunshine Cafe as it was then called from approximately the mid 1960s to mid 1980's. He has sadly passed away so I can't ask him if he knew your grandfather - would he have lived in the old cottage in Haulfre as my grandmother (nain)mentioned that the retired head gardener lived there when my taid took over? I will ask her if she remembers Fred Hill though she may not as her memory is not great these days. Good luck with your search :)

Offline Ashley Goodall

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »
HI Ian and Sam

Thank-you so much for all your information, it's really appreciated. Ian, if your friend does know anything that would be fantastic.

Sam my grandfather married Betty...(sorry don't know her name) but they lived in their later years as caretakers of Lloyds? Bank. They had a daughter, my mother's half sister called Freda.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the cottage I think that Betty may have been a Nicholson as Bobby Nicholson, a relation, worked on the Pier during the 1950s. Unfortunately I only visited from time to time as a child, and therefore my memory is somewhat imprecise.

Thank-you for our comments,

Ashley

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 11:32:28 am »
Mr and Mrs Hill and their daughter Freda  lived for a short time at 8 Tudno Street, renting from Mostyn Estate, I don't remember but it must have been late 50's or early 60's.  I don't remember them but Freda and I would knock on the wall sending messages to each other!  She was older than me and I'm sorry but I don't know what happened to her or where they went after leaving Tudno Street.

Offline Bedelia

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 09:32:59 am »
Hi Forum,

I'm a research student at Bangor University. I'm nearing the end of my studies (and writing up my dissertation) but I wanted to ask you lovely, knowledgeable people if you have any memories of the Jewish community that used to be in Llandudno. I'm aware that the old synagogue in Church Walks is now run as a Chabad centre, and I know that many orthodox Jewish visitors come to Llandudno every year, but I am talking about the people who lived in Llandudno, had businesses, etc... I know that the Lazar family ran a business there till the 1970s or 1980s? Any memories, reminiscences, or anything like that- or better yet pictures or memorabilia- would be helpful.

And if you were a member of the Jewish community then I would love to speak to you personally! I am aware that many people retired away to London and Birmingham to be nearer to their children.

Many thanks,

Jennifer

Further to this post and replies from 7 years ago now, is anyone in touch with Vicki Lazar or members of the Lazar family today?  I'm researching a theatre project set in WW2 Llandudno and am interested in personal accounts from families who ran hotels at this time and whose businesses were requisitioned.  I have found reference in the Flintshire Archives to a hotelier "Mrs Lazar", who had expressed concerns to landlords Mostyn Estates re payment of insurance premiums on requisitioned properties.  I've trawled the newspapers of the time (Llandudno Advertiser, North Wales Weekly News, and the Inland Revenue magazine, Ormescliffe Gazette) in the British Library, but most elusive is detail on what happened to hoteliers who were turfed out of their businesses for the duration - where did they go when given often only hours' notice to quit the premises?  How did they make a living in the meantime? Any direct local or family info would be most welcome.  Thank you.

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:40 am »
You might like to try Terrence Lazar or Marcia Lazar on Facebook children of Vicki

Offline Bedelia

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 09:45:04 am »
Thank you!

Offline Helig

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 10:29:42 am »
Since a number of government departments were relocated to Llandudno during WW2, many of the larger hotels were requisitioned for their use. The Inland Revenue took over The Imperial Hotel for the duration of the war. The Probate office remained in Llandudno as well. Their employees were also housed with local families. I seem to recall my mother speaking of an Inland Revenue employee who stayed with them in St David's Place. I think some of their neighbours had other Civil Servants staying with them. I might be wrong but I don't think they had a choice in this.

Helig.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 10:42:06 am »
This is a recent link which might be of interest.....

Fascinating stories of Second World War evacuation revealed at the places where they happened.       Including Conwy County

The start of the Second World War 80 years ago triggered a mass relocation of people and organisations to Wales.
Now, evacuation stories are being revealed on the sites where they happened

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17871306.fascinating-stories-second-world-war-evacuation-revealed-places-happened/

This is the start point for Conwy County http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=ancaster-square-llanrwst

Offline Helig

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 10:48:03 am »
There is some more information on a number of hotels on these sites:

http://www.hotelambassador.co.uk/historyhotel.html

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=home-front-llandudno

The Imperial Hotel site confirms my suspicion that people had no choice then to accommodate the Civil Servants.

Helig

Offline Bedelia

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 11:00:38 am »
Thanks, yes, I'm aware of these public links and have extensively researched the hotels commandeered for the Inland Revenue (100+ pages of notes!).  However, what is missing from these press/public/bureaucratic sources are the personal stories of how those turfed out coped for the duration.  It wasn't written about in press accounts and documentary evidence beyond concerns about insurance and compensation for fixtures and fittings seems scant.  I'm keen to find stories from families who experienced this from the inside.

Offline Helig

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 11:30:45 am »
As it is 73 years since the end of WW2 I think you will be lucky to find anyone alive who remembers this now. My mother used to talk about the war years in Llandudno, so her knowledge can be passed on through me. It depends on how many other people spoke about this to their family and whether they absorbed the information. An appeal in The North Wales Weekly News might assist you in this quest.

Helig.

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 12:47:28 pm »
Hello

Spotty dog mentioned the Lazar family. I have been looking online, and, most regrettably, Vicki Lazar died late last year at the age of 92.

My family knew the Lazars in the early 1960s - Mum and Dad were in Ladies Circle and Round Table, as were Mr and Mrs Lazar.

Regards

TL