Author Topic: Outrageous Behaviour.  (Read 42354 times)

Offline Tosh

Re: Outrageous Behaviour.
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »
I would guess that if the car was " hurtling " towards her it was one of the younger generation, male or female, take your pick.
As for mandatory tests for everybody over 70, which I'm not, just wait until you are over 70 and see if you like being bracketed like that.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:47 pm »
The medical profession are supposed to report any medical conditions which might interfere with the ability to drive. This latest case, involving the 84 year-old, is one of a string, where older drivers become 'confused'. That needs dealing with, and can be, through reporting.  However, statistically far, far more dangerous is anyone aged between 17 and 25. Ban them from driving and the roads would be much safer.  Anyone fancy their chances?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »
Ian, I agree with monitoring and particularly where medical conditions are relevant regardless of age, I just don't think that BTR can justify everyone over 70 being re-tested etc.
Who monitored the 90 year old who ran into the shop frontage at Rhos 2 years ago with fatal results.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »
I agree, totally. The group that cause the most accidents, deaths and destruction are the 17 - 25 year old group. Older folk - well, we all know someone who ought not to be driving, and it's up to us or the doctor to report them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »
I used the word 'hurtling' towards her, because even if both cars were travelling at 30mph lets say, then it is a combined speed of 60mph on impact.
It just happens that when one experiences that situation, it happens very quickly and it is a shock.

A head on crash at those speeds would almost certainly have resulted in no survivors.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tosh

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:25 pm »
I know exactly what you mean Fester.
 A few weeks ago we were travelling west on the A55 and pulled off to go into Mcdonalds at Northop.
A wise guy in a BMW came hurtling around the corner going the wrong way towards the expressway.
He managed to stop with inches to spare but if we hadn't been there he would have straight onto the A55 the wrong way, phew.
I wasn't making light of your wife's experience Fester, sorry if it came across that way.
 :-[

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:24 pm »
Not at all mate.

She was over it within a few minutes anyway, after a bit of swearing!   
Fester...

Offline Minime

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »
Dvla are useless sorry.  People over a certain age tick a box that they are fit to drive and yes lots tick it who know full well or are too stubborn to admit theyre beyond safe driving capabilities.  Even when professionals like me report them they take NO notice whatsoever.  Ive had a man with a moderate dementia being directed by his physically disabled wife.  Would he be able to react in an emergency - like hell!  Ive had a man whod had numerous heart attacks and lived by a school go out driving day after discharge for his latest attack.  His gp near choked when i told him he was driving.  Did dvla listen, nope.  Its scary who is on the roads!

I also have a 20yr old who drives in 6" heels despite me having a fit on her and the rare times ive been passenger ive been afraid....very afraid.  Even her bursting the tyre walls god knows how many times hasnt made her twig shes going too fat and kissing the kerbs! Pfffft!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:22 am »
Even her bursting the tyre walls god knows how many times hasnt made her twig shes going too fat and kissing the kerbs! Pfffft!

Seems like she needs to go on a diet and find a different fettish!   L0L

Silly question. What is your professional driving qualification?

Have you tried reporting these Drivers' to the Police rather than the DVLA?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »
Minime seems to be having a go at the old gits brigade but they are not the ones who are responsible for the vast majority of accidents on our roads.

Take 18 to 27 year old men off the roads and the world would be a much safer place.

If doctors had to certify a licence holders 3 year renewal application for the over 70's that would prevent the real crusties from driving past their use by date
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
If we think about the recent incidents in Llandudno (2 people run over in St Georges Place, Shopfront in Upper Mostyn St demolished), they were both older drivers, to be fair.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2013, 08:53:37 am »
If we think about the recent incidents in Llandudno (2 people run over in St Georges Place, Shopfront in Upper Mostyn St demolished), they were both older drivers, to be fair.

I suspect Llandudno's stats are skewed, given the elderly demographic of the area. Nationally, statistics by age are difficult to get hold of, since we rarely know who was to blame.  However, we know that in 2011 there were 10,974 accidents involving drivers over the age of 70 compared with 35,953 accidents involving drivers aged 17 - 24.

Even that statistic isn't comparable, since there are probably many more drivers aged above 70 - apparently more than 4.000.000 - than the 17 - 24 year-old age groups.  Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured.

So yes;  the young male driver appears the most dangerous by a long way, but I suspect that many people aged above, say - 75 - might find it increasingly difficult to make quick decisions, such as entering motorways on a slip road (having said that, my impression is that few drivers seem to know how to perform that manoeuvre properly around here...) or dealing with increasingly complex junctions. There's a great example of one of these on the roundabout where the A45 Coventry Road joins the M42 going North. Clearly designed by Satan, or a close relative, this roundabout tests the mettle of even experienced and hardened drivers, so I would feel for anyone with impending dementia.

The important factor in all this, however, is that all individuals are different. Whilst some 70+ drivers might not be safe driving a supermarket trolley, others might well have a background in Police or Army driving and could be far more competent than most younger drivers.

Offline Minime

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2013, 12:13:54 am »
Minime seems to be having a go at the old gits brigade but they are not the ones who are responsible for the vast majority of accidents on our roads.

No thats just the group I work with.  I also commented on my 20 year olds driving.  Im near catatonic by the time she stops!

Yes I agree that the renewal should be countersigned for over 80s.  The young drivers have an option of a black box kind of thing fitted to monitor their driving and technically reduce insurance premiums but most wont as they fear it will penalise them more and theyre probably right.  My dds insurance for 1st year was 1600 if we paid in full or 2500 in installments on a 500 quid micra :/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2014, 12:44:33 am »
After reading this article, I with I had not read it.

However, I had to share it here on this thread, as it beggars belief what the human mind can do for gratification.

I tell you what, this guy is going to struggle to get a girlfriend,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27643702
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2014, 06:40:13 am »
 :o how very odd! Not sure a 'human' mind was involved with this nutter!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas