Author Topic: Film Scanners  (Read 2572 times)

Offline martin

Film Scanners
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:21 am »
I have a large collection of old slides and negatives that I want to scan digitally to my computer.  I have looked at various flat bed and the other box shaped scanners, however, when I read the reviews of people who have purchased a particular model, there are so many negative comments that I am now completely confused.  Can anyone on the Forum recommend a scanner please?  One of the additional problems I have is that I have quite a large quantity of the square format slides from the 60's and 70's, I am fairly certain that the modern scanners do not support this format, but again, if anybody can suggest a way of scanning these slides I would be very grateful.  I am hoping that DaveR with his wealth of experience may have some suggestions.  I have a fairly small budget for a scanner, £200 - £300, so one of the high end scanners costing thousands is well beyond my reach. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Film Scanners
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:44 am »
I only have a cheap scanner for using with old postcards etc, so can't offer a lot of advice.

Would something like this be suitable:
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?ix=ucb&q=slide+scanner&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1239387221470051405

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:45 am »
We bought this one about 18 months ago and it has been fine (touch wood)!

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=155863&source=froogle

Offline martin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:36:27 am »
Thanks DaveR and Hollins.  I will follow them up, one question Hollins, does your scanner do slides and negatives please?

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:07 pm »
Yes, it does slides and negatives.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »
Gezzy's Mum bought one of those film scanners (DaveRs link) off the internet a few months ago and I used it to transfer all her husbands old slides of Llandudno onto his computer and it's excellent.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline martin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »
Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I have settled on one.