Poll

Would you like to take part in a golf competition?

Yes
16 (80%)
No
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Mike's Llandudno Orme Cup  (Read 25338 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Mike's Llandudno Orme Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
nice to see you again mike, pity about the weather, still met Hollins, Yorkie and Quiggs so it was not a wasted trip after all. The course is looking in good nick the lads did a good job yesterday hope to play tomorrow when hopefully the weather will be a little more forgiving, Bri

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »
Well Yes I think so!!! After having dried another couple of wet guests, I went into town to pick up some bread and arrived up with Mike at about 1.45pm. I had missed Yorkie by a few minutes, also Hollins and a few more-- should have fetched my bread 2nd!
Such a shame for poor Mike-- it was appalling up there, the rain was almost horizontal.
Thanks Hollins for the two lovely scones which Mike gave me, my OH and I have just eaten them and they were yummy.
Are we rescheduling or abandoning ship?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »
Sorry to miss you Nemesis but I am glad the scones found a good home!
I felt so sorry for Mike, all those plans but nobody can predict the weather.
I hope someone out there played a round of golf, they deserve the trophy for attempting it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »
Well done to everyone who made it to the Course today and especially Mike.  You all deserve medals because  today was absolutely horrendous.     &well&

This is not Mike's first soaking of the week either because I was walking down Killens Hill on Tuesday thoroughly soaked and yet Mike's course was full of golfers all carrying umbrellas supplied by Mike.   The wind was bad enough then but nowhere near as bad as today and poor old Mike had hired out all the brollies and hadn't got one for himself! 
He was keeping dry in his car at the time doing the sensible thing though. 

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »
Thanks for the scones Hollins, Mike gave me some, as he said there were too many for him and it did not look as if anyone else would be coming, due to the weather. My wife and I enjoyed them.   :-*
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 06:50:27 pm »
   So the cup competition comes to a wet and windy end.

As you will know the idea was not mine, it just arose out of one or two posts from forum members, and I was happy to offer the course. But, today, I did find great pleasure in the few of you who found their way up just to say hello, because there was little chance of playing.

And I must especially thank Hollins, who I had never met before, who brought up a great feast of home backed goodies with cream and jam. And an airtight container which I will have to find a way to return.

As to the future, the cup is still here, unclaimed. I am prepared to give the idea another go. I don't wish to appear to be taking over the whole idea, but I do think that, maybe, we should all wait until the weather appears to be in a settled period, and then --- go for it -- fast.   i.e. maybe five or six days ahead. I know people like to make plans ahead, but the weather just will not allow us that luxury.

Any one elses ideas are welcome, I ve just thrown that idea in for consideration.

Thank you again Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2012, 12:19:50 am »
Well, I take my hat off to anyone who ventured up the Great Orme golf course today.
Especially Hollins who had to travel a fair old distance.

Despite Yorkie's rebuke, I have always found golf to be enjoyable as a fair-weather game ONLY.
I have played a fair bit of golf,  but never enjoyed it when forced to go round in the rain.
And... I have NEVER played in weather as bad as today's.

When this idea came up originally, I couldn't wait to press the YES vote.  I had this idyllic image of strolling around Mike's course on a balmy June evening, after work.... and then retiring to The King's Head for a few cold ones.

Reality proved very different, like most things in life.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2012, 12:39:36 am »
lets not give up the ghost as Yorkie said this afternoon we can always try again later when the weather is looking a little kinder, I'm sure the members who were due to turn up today will strive to give it a go again at another time, that's if mike is kind enough to give it another go.