Author Topic: The Three Towns during wartime  (Read 22523 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Three Towns during wartime
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »
Gunsite and gun emplacements needed powerful engines in order to power the rotating platform that allowed the guns to rotate through a span of approx 120 degrees.

They also needed powered generators to allow the gun barrels to be raised and lowered.
Probably lighting and heating may have been provided as well?  Not sure...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 01:34:16 am »
The concrete blocks pictured on the floor of the engine room look like "beds" for diesel generators.

I would have thought the diesel engines would have been used to power the searchlights.

Second World War searchlights include models manufactured by General Electric and by the Sperry Company (of gyroscope fame). These were mostly of 60" (152.4 cm) diameter with rhodium plated parabolic mirror, reflecting a carbon arc discharge. Peak output was 800,000,000 candlepower. It was powered by a 15 kW generator and had an effective beam visibility of 28 to 35 miles (45 to 56 km) in clear low humidity.

Most of the school was probably hooked-up to the National Grid i.e. barracks etc, but you simply couldn't obtain 800,000,000 candlepower from household electricity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:35:53 am by Trojan »

Offline tonyf

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
Hi Suepp, just come across the 'Home Guard' photo you put on the forum. Are there any names on the back? Reason I ask is I'm almost positive the chap 3rd from right as you look at the photo is my Father. Though they are wearing RA badges they were called 'Home Guard' for some reason. They did most of the guarding and general duties on the Gun Site. He was 40 years old then. Any help much appreciated.   

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:53 am »
Hi Tony, the photo is a copy from my cousin, I will ask her if there are any names on the back, my Taid Bob Edwards is on the far left in the photo, he was in his 30's

Offline tonyf

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:27 am »
Hi Suepp, thanks for that. I made a mistake, I meant 2nd from the right. I have a picture at home of the local army cricket 11 at the oval during the war. I will get it uploaded, you never know?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:13 pm »
No luck with names, I have sent you a PM

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »
TonyF has sent me the following photo (click photo to view full size):

"Gun Site cricket 11 at the oval 43/44. My Father is the one in uniform (eleventh man or on duty?) Does anyone recognise anybody? "

[smg id=2397]