Author Topic: The Three Towns during wartime  (Read 22966 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
The Three Towns during wartime
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:55:36 pm »
Anyone know when exactly the American's were first billeted in Llandudno. i.e. month and year was it 1941?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:06:51 am by Ian »

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
Re: American army
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 05:19:34 pm »
I think it was later than that - probably 1944 - possibly 43.
Micox

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »

I think you're right there Mike, it was definitely towards the end of WWII. They manned the gun emplacements on the Great & Little Orme's and helped run the Coast Artillery School.

They also brought quite a few vehicles with them - American tanks were often seen parked just off the Conway Road.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »

I think you're right there Mike, it was definitely towards the end of WWII. They manned the gun emplacements on the Great & Little Orme's and helped run the Coast Artillery School.

They also brought quite a few vehicles with them - American tanks were often seen parked just off the Conway Road.

I don't believe they ever manned the artillery school as it was only used by British Coastal Artillery regiments that were being trained in searchlights, gunnery and radio skills.
I once was told that they took over Lady Forester's (now St Dunstan's) and used it as a field hospital but this might just be heresay.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:37 pm »

I don't believe they ever manned the artillery school as it was only used by British Coastal Artillery regiments that were being trained in searchlights, gunnery and radio skills.
I once was told that they took over Lady Forester's (now St Dunstan's) and used it as a field hospital but this might just be heresay.

Oh, so what was the purpose of American troops being billeted to Llandudno then? They frequented a place named The Donut Dugout, which was an establishment in Vaughan Street, which catered to the US force.

Offline Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:51:44 am »

Oh, so what was the purpose of American troops being billeted to Llandudno then? They frequented a place named The Donut Dugout, which was an establishment in Vaughan Street, which catered to the US force.

Here is part of a biography of a nurse from US Army 297th General Hospital Unit:

" It seemed in no time at all after receiving our notification to join the 297th General Hospital that we found ourselves burdened with 40 pound field packs and struggling up the gang plank of the Queen Elizabeth on Memorial Day weekend of 1944 (date of embarkation, May 30, 1944). I would not describe this trip as exactly a pleasure cruise! We were packed in like sardines: 10,000 battle ready troops and 75 nurses! Despite tight security in rerouting our troop transport train from New Jersey and boarding ship after midnight as a large security secret, we sailed from New York Harbor at high noon on Memorial Day 1944 with all New York standing dockside on the bright clear sunny day to wave “goodbye” to our troop laden ship! (By now we were sure that all Germany knew we were on the way.)

Unfortunately, we hit stormy weather in the mid-Atlantic with gale winds as we neared the Irish Sea. It seemed like a sheer miracle when we safely arrived at Gourock, Scotland, hours before dawn broke through the mist on 6 June 1944. We waited on deck for hours in a cold light drizzle to be taken off the ship by tender and put ashore. We were all deeply grateful to the British Red Cross volunteers waiting for us dockside in the “wee” hours of the morning with sandwiches and hot coffee.

Soon after we disembarked, we boarded a train for our destination in Llandudno, North Wales where we would spend the next few days awaiting and assembling our medical supplies. It was at our Llandudno stop-off when we first learned of the Normandy invasion and [Operation Overlord]. Again, another long train ride across Wales and the cold grey English countryside to Stourbridge on the Severn River, our final destination in the midlands of England."

Obviously this doesn't explain the soldiers with tanks! However I believe that in the build up to D-Day, American and Canadian troops and equipment were shipped over to the UK in huge numbers and they had to dock ships on the West Coast from Liverpool to Scotland well away from interception by German Planes getting wind of the huge army gathering.  Llandudno was probably being used as a stop off for a while before moving South.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:55:31 am by Ian »

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:10 am »
Jack:  I edited your post to make the quoted section appear where you wanted it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:18 am »
Thankyou

Offline Trojan

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:29 am »
Spoke to my Father and he says 1944, the same as Mike. He said the American tanks were parked in the area opposite the old Council Field football stadium. He also mentioned that the American serviceman did indeed man the guns at the artillery school.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »
I remember tanks driving through Menai Bridge, possibly from Holyhead, Perhaps on the way to Llandudno?   *&(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Avondale
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
So I've been reading a novel set in Llandudno called Jampot Smith (by Jeremy Brooks). It's set during the WWII years and there are a lot of mentions of a place called the Avondale (coffee shop, I assume). Where was it located?

http://www.libraryofwales.org/english/low_detail.asp?book_ID=32

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Avondale
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:20 pm »
The Avondale restaurant was at 13 Mostyn Street,  now Mixers wine bar which is above Pebbles

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 08:52:08 pm »
The Avondale restaurant was at 13 Mostyn Street,  now Mixers wine bar which is above Pebbles
Thanks, Sue, I never knew that! Here's a pic:

[smg id=1132]

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:22 pm »
the avondale as i remember it was on the ground floor,you went through the bread /cakes shop into the bar at the back,the manager was  edmond the pole,no second name probably to many J kYs,did this bar belong to charlie payne?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
How long ago was this Dwyforite? it is in the 1929 directory at 13 Mostyn street, with J.E.Payne the proprietor and Chris.Pardon Manager, so was a long standing business.

I thought it was upstairs because 13 Mostyn street is the wine bar address and the address of Pebbles is 11a, I suppose numbers change as buidlings get sub-divided.

Incidentally does anyone remember the Skyliner in the 1970's in the same area? I remember it well but not the exact location