Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 173951 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: The long running saga of Maesdu Bridge
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56:52 pm »
Here's a photo of the old crossing Jason. Forum member Bri Robert's relation used to live in the nearby house and operated the crossing gate. She was known as "Lizzie Crossing". I seem to remember a connection to the Atherton family if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Bri can add some additional info.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »
The original bridge under construction:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »
 8)  Trogan, how long did it take too build the original. _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
8)  Trogan, how long did it take too build the original. _))*

Not as long as this one, that's for sure.  L0L

However, they did over-budget on the original bridge too:

MAESDU CROSSING (RAILWAY BRIDGE).

20 December 1927

Major Owen:

Asked the Minister of Transport whether any grant has been sanctioned by his Department for the erection of a bridge across the railway at Maesdu crossing, Llandudno; if so, what is the sum allotted for the purpose and what are the conditions upon which it is made; and when will he make arrangements for this work to be started?

Colonel Ashley:

"The construction of a bridge across the railway at Maesdu crossing, Llandudno, is part of a scheme for the making of a new road. A grant of 50 per cent of the original estimated net cost of £25,117 was made in September, 1925, and I am sending the Hon Member a copy of the conditions upon which the grant was made. The works are now estimated to cost £29,657, based on the lowest tenders received, and the Conway Town Council has applied for an additional grant towards the extra cost. This application is under consideration"

Mr. Griffiths:

"Has not the Minister of Transport a Welshman to tell him how to pronounce these names?"

Colonel Ashley:

"I am going down there in February, and I hope to learn the proper pronunciation"  L0L

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:37:53 pm by Trojan »

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 11:33:17 pm »
Thanks for that Trojan. I know Brian so I will have a chat with him.  *&(

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »
 :rage:  Still not sure why the traffic lights exiting Mostyn Champneys only go on green for eight seconds causing long hold ups and exiting the other end is just as bad.  :rage:

Yorkie

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2010, 04:55:35 pm »
:rage: Having just been for a walk past Mostyn Champneys,i noticed again how chaotic it is trying to leave at the Broadway exit,made worse now with the opening of Smyths toy store,Right opposite the exit is a very busy bus stop with no direct crossing too get to it,traffic on a Saturday backs up from the Asda lights,this whole area needs traffic management. :'(

Wrex you may remember that when ASDA's consultants presented their 400 page traffic analysis to the Council  they stated that there would be no traffic hold ups, no traffic chaos, or any gridlocks.  I seem to remember one Member of the Council replying that if it needed 400 pages to tell us there would be no problems, then it was virtually certain that there would be. :rage:

His prophesy proved correct!   D)

Modesty prevents me from naming the particular Councillor!    L0L    VV %0%
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:57:29 pm by Yorkie »

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »
 :-[  I know exactly what highways will say,we dont want traffic backing up towards Asda,BUT stuff people stuck on Mostyn Champneys who can't get out,do the buisnesses on there not realise it could be effecting some of us from going on there at certain times of the week. :huh1:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2010, 07:33:57 pm »
Wrex you are absolutely right - I would hesitate to come into town to visit any store on Mostyn Champneys on Saturdays unless it was in the early morning.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:17 pm »
Hi Dave and Nettle, I think you have both lost your bets It`s over 4 weeks and the glass lamps are still intact. D) D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »
Hi Dave and Nettle, I think you have both lost your bets It`s over 4 weeks and the glass lamps are still intact. D) D)

Bah! <:<:<:<

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:36 am »
 *&(  If any of you are passing Mostyn Champneys today take in how busy it is, take in how chaotic it is trying to leave either exit and see how very dangerous it is crossing Mostyn Broadway and then try to appreciate why i rant about this lack of concern by councillors,highways. :rage:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
There has been temporary traffic lights on Conwy bridge this week and at times queuing traffic has been as far back as the Weekly News island.
And it doesn't help when drivers obviously continue to go through the lights on "RED" on lots of occasions.

It looks as if they are going to be there for a few days yet.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »
Parked up near the Collinge antiques shop at Llandudno Junction  and walked past on my way into and out of Conwy. I must admit I could see no obvious reason for such a large spread of cones and road works. Next weekend might be interesting if they are still there!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
???  The whole of Augusta St is full of potholes and is in need of resurfacing. :weeping: