Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 173937 times)

Offline Sara

Re: The long running saga of Maesdu Bridge
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:37 am »
I heard the other day that it will be one way traffic for a couple of days soon so they can finish off bits and pieces.  :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 11:38:41 am »
I heard the other day that it will be one way traffic for a couple of days soon so they can finish off bits and pieces.  :(
Nooooooooooooooo.....  :o bawling.gif

ps. welcome to the new forum.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
Does anyone know what the red stripe round the island is for?  Please don't tell me it's a cycle track! :-[

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:15 am »
Please don't tell me it's a cycle track!

LOL!  I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's a way of deterring folk trying t take the roundabout more tan one car at a time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:49 am »
I suspect its similar to the extra bit they did on the big roundabout in Penrhyn Bay, so that larger vehicles can take the roundabout safely but cars have to keep on the other side of the line?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:18 am »
They learnt from the mini-roundabout at the Staples - MChampneys that too small a roundabout creates its own problems, so they created a visually large roundabout, but with sufficient clearance for the largest vehicles, I'm guessing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:35 pm »
Having been away on my hols for a couple of weeks I missed the Grand Opening.  Just to make up for it I went over the bridge 3 times today.   Didn't want to chance a fourth so left myself on the wrong side and had to journey home the long way via Builder Street, which actually seemed shorter today!   *&(

Offline Indigo

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »
Good to see they kept the original lamp standards.

Ah yes  - the red stripe around the roundabout must be a future pay zone.  Someone is always going round in circles.   :laugh:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »
I passed over the bridge tonight and noticed a sign which I think said "Dawnus - a talent for construction".

Has anyone really come out of this saga with any credit?

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 09:13:36 am »
I bumped into a few highways officers over the past couple of days.
I still haven't found the exact reason for the inner red circle on the roundabout. :huh1:
One of the officers did admit it may have been done so that the target was easier to see when he is pushed from a passing aircraft. ;D

They did reassure me that the roundabout has been tested with various different vehicles including HGVs etc. They have all passed the tests.

The roundabout does seem to keeping the traffic moving, and seems to be working better than the old slip road system Has anyone found it a hinderance?

One officer that I won't name did say that its now finished and time to move on. Well as far as I can see it still has not finished as we still have temporary crash defences. As far as Members are concerned there are still many questions outstanding and for them to suggest it is time to move on is a very wrong assumption to make.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
To be fair, it does seem to be operating quite well and I am not aware of any mishaps/incidents as yet.

However for someone to say that it is time to move on after all that has happened (or not happened as the case might be), is a statement of sheer arragancy  and demonstrates their lack of respect for the general public who were severely affected by the bridge being closed for so long.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:45:39 am by Bellringer »

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »
 :o The Town council promise is too do nothing about their town manager,the xmas lights,early closing of bog island toilets,xmas parade[exactly the same every year],disgusting state of the small beach by the cenotaph lets be honest there is no leadership that counts. :-[
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:36:32 pm by Ian »

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Roads in the area
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »
 :rage: Having just been for a walk past Mostyn Champneys,i noticed again how chaotic it is trying to leave at the Broadway exit,made worse now with the opening of Smyths toy store,Right opposite the exit is a very busy bus stop with no direct crossing too get to it,traffic on a Saturday backs up from the Asda lights,this whole area needs traffic management. :'(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:25:00 pm by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »
I saw this on Mike Priestley's blog:

"Having polled more votes than Plaid Cymru in the recent General Election, Aberconwy Libdems are targeting the Plaid held Aberconwy seat for the Welsh Assembly.

The result of their candidate poll was announced late on Monday with local Councillor Mike Priestley of Llandudno Junction selected with the overwhelming support of Liberal Democrat members.

Mike more than doubled the vote, gained by the Libdems in the last Assembly Election in Aberconwy and supporters are confident that with the retirement of popular Plaid AM Gareth Jones that they can also obtain more votes than Plaid at the Assembly election to be held on Thursday, May 5 2011.

Mike holds the Conwy County Borough Council Environment portfolio and was recently elected a Foundation Governor, representing north Wales, of Liverpool's highly esteemed Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery."

$wales

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:44 pm »
Information Needed: I have been asked to give a talk on Maesdu Bridge for a local organisation. I would be really interested in any information or photographs I could use in relation to the original bridge and site (the level crossing)

Latest Info
I asked the Head of Service for an update on the bridge yesterday and have received the following information today:

1. The parapet sub-contractor are making final adjustments to the parapet beams and will be returning them to site and installing them at the end of the week.

2. The final 3 lighting columns should have been installed today and will be connected to the power supply this week.

3. The Surfacing Sub-contractor will be returning to site on Friday to reinstate Maesdu Rd,  where utilities trenches have been dug. They will also surface the westbound cycle exit near the Hospital Road junction.

4. The red area on the roundabout is an "overrun" area. The overrun area is defined by the Department of Transport. Although there is no physical difference it does provide an optical illusion which controls the flow of traffic around the roundabout. Having used the roundabout several times I can confirm I have tended to use it as the "overrun" area is intended. i.e. that most traffic will use the wider circumference of the roundabout, whereas longer vehicles will make use of the red segment to navigate the roundabout.