Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 173902 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #600 on: December 18, 2014, 04:03:29 pm »
I see that prat Bebb voted to keep the bedroom tax ,it's ok for them to claim on two houses and fiddle the expenses .

Are you sure he is a prat, claims on two houses, and that he fiddles his expenses?   Thought that sort of comment was more in Oscar's domain!

Z**
I'm sure there's a bit of mileage in Norman08's claim.  :twoface:

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #601 on: December 18, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »
"So we can do the legal bit at the same time, I'll have a word, or a thousand, with David Jones MP.  But, of course, he may have to make a retraction at a later date."

Are you saying that Jones has made improper claims or he has implied Bebb has?
I'm confused.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #602 on: December 19, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
It may be better to stay confused,  Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #603 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:30 pm »
I'm surprised you made such an inflammatory comment and have been unable to substantiate your implication.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #604 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »
I'm surprised you made such an inflammatory comment and have been unable to substantiate your implication.

Please tell me what you find inflammatory about my comment, as I do not see anything that needs further substantiation.  Unless you are completely unaware of the statement by Bebb in the H of P which had to be withdrawn at a later date.

At the moment it is a bit of light hearted banter twixt two Members of the Forum, however if you wish to escalate the discussion into recent matters with Oscar, Bebb, Jones and others I will be pleased to assist you in your endeavours, Mr Tunnock.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #605 on: December 20, 2014, 07:38:10 am »
"however if you wish to escalate the discussion into recent matters with Oscar, Bebb, Jones and others I will be pleased to assist you in your endeavours, Mr Tunnock."

If you can add anything not already in the public domain please do, I'm sure I'm not the only person, who is fascinated  to see  how this whole story has escalated into such a huge local conspiracy theory, aided by a few local characters well versed in such matters.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #606 on: December 20, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »

If you can add anything not already in the public domain please do, I'm sure I'm not the only person, who is fascinated  to see  how this whole story has escalated into such a huge local conspiracy theory, aided by a few local characters well versed in such matters.

No doubt you profess to include yourself in the dramatis personae?  As  all I know is already in the Public Domain, I assume there is no requirement of me to add to your, probably, boundless knowledge of such matters.  End of discussion as far as I am concerned.
 ££$
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Council merger plans rejected by Leighton Andrews
« Reply #607 on: January 27, 2015, 02:04:45 pm »
Council merger plans rejected by Leighton Andrews

Voluntary merger plans by six Welsh councils have been rejected by the public services minister.

The Williams Commission had called for the 22 councils to be cut by half.

Blaenau Gwent and Torfaen, Bridgend and the Vale of Glamorgan, and Conwy and Denbighshire had suggested pairing up in response to an appeal for voluntary mergers by Leighton Andrews.

However the minister said he was "not persuaded" that the councils had set out a "compelling vision" for merger.

In a statement on Tuesday, Mr Andrews said: "I am disappointed to report that on the basis of this assessment I am not persuaded that any one of these Expressions of Interest sufficiently meets the criteria for moving ahead to prepare a full Voluntary Merger Proposal."

He emphasised the need for councils' merger proposals to set out a "compelling vision" and provide assurances that the new authorities would "reduce complexity" and increase the "coherence" of public services.

Denbighshire council leader Hugh Evans said the authority was "astounded" by the announcement and felt the minister had "missed a real opportunity".

Vale of Glamorgan council leader Neil Moore said he was "deeply saddened" that the plan to merge with Bridgend had been rejected.

Conservative shadow local government minister Janet Finch-Saunders called the "astounding" development "another symptom of Labour's haphazard, uncertain approach to managing local government in Wales".

Plaid Cymru spokesman Rhodri Glyn Thomas said Mr Andrews "clearly has other plans" and called on him to "come clean with the assembly and tell us what exactly his plan is".

Liberal Democrat Peter Black said Labour seemed "hell bent on ignoring local democracy and ploughing ahead with their preferred combinations at all costs".

A bill paving the way for voluntary council mergers was published by Mr Andrews on Monday.
Is Williams dead?

Last year the Williams Commission recommended that the existing 22 councils should be reduced by around half through a series of mergers.

It was actually a small part of the report but inevitably it generated the most attention.

Since then the Welsh government has been urging council leaders to take control of their own destinies and look to merge with a neighbour.

This decision throws that strategy into doubt.

Leighton Andrews indicated last year that there are "well known" figures in Welsh Labour who want as few as six councils.

It would suggest the proposals were thrown out because the new authorities would not have been big enough.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: March 06, 2015, 08:40:33 am »
CCBC receives a lot of stick in here, much of it related to or because of the way in which they behave. The image the average person has of a CCBC councillor is not a pretty one, and their penchant for secrecy during meetings, combined with a total reluctance to engage with the voters ensures they're berated at every turn, whether it be for their apparent incompetence in failing to ensure any sort of business plan was prepared before they bid for and built Porth Eirias, the...interesting approach to the West Shore, their inaction with regard to Haulfre Gardens and Happy Valley or their own determination to ensure they claim every last penny in expenses and salaries.

The biggest problem, both for them and the voters, is fear: they're terrified of attempting to explain their thinking, terrified of facing the voters en masse and terrified, it would seem, of letting the people who pay their salaries and who elect them know what they're doing and - most importantly - why.

I've approached some of those I know personally to come onto the forum but they refuse in every case.  Now, I can comprehend why they fear forums: our own PC Mike Smith found that although he could deal with the forum through moderating his own topic in here, and because we generally behave in a reasonable way during debates, the existence of Oscar meant those who disliked what he was saying meant the trolls could win.

But that issue no longer exists. We would be prepared to offer any member of CCBC  their own topic, their own powers of moderation, and total anonymity. Obviously, we'd have to know who they were to prevent just anyone from trying it on, but they could use a screen name, so no one else would know and we'd guarantee their anonymity.  That way at least they could start to explain what they're doing and why they're doing it. And perhaps explain the thinking behind some of the apparently odd decisions that seem to have been taken.

So to the CCBC councillors who are already members of this forum in secret, we invite you to take a chance and take up this offer.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #609 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
A good point Ian.
I am a little pessimistic to be honest, yesterday it is reported that fewer than half of the Welsh MPs paid for by us a fair wage to represent us failed to turn up to the St David's day debate at the house of commons.
Guto Bebb, the wife says was one of those who did not bother to attend, one subject of great local importance she says was discussed at length, that of the downgrading of the maternity unit at YGC.
What hope have we left if the MP can not be bothered to even turn up to his place of work of getting the council to engage with us?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #610 on: March 06, 2015, 11:10:29 am »
A very good point Mr T especially as there is a  £10,000.00 pay rise on the way to those MP's .      Hopefully  he won't get a seat in the coming election and gets voted out.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #611 on: March 06, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
Good point ian ,but not one of them will take you up on the very good idea ,can anyone tell me one thing gutto Bebb has done for this area ,also stated this week he agrees with the health board with the downgrading at ygc ,also on the bbc news this morning the am,s are in line for £ 10,000 pay rise ,good to see they get their priorities right .

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #612 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:35 am »
Back to our 12 county councillors who are  supposed to act with Llandudno in mind,have any of the 12 ever spoken about the town beach quarry,the Pier Pavillion,answer as we all know is NO and we all know they are a closed shop ,just like a secret society,what a way to treat your electrate but of course it safe guards their wages.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #613 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:38 pm »
Llandudno has always been looked upon as a cash cow to feed the rest of the County and as long as Conwy Council is controlled and run by a Small Inner unaccountable Cabinet, who are able to control the finances and rubber stamp all their own private decisions, the other Councillors of whatever political persuasion are rendered impotent. They are just there to make up the numbers and to give the appearance of local democracy.

Therefor I think it's totally wrong to blame Llandudno County Councillors for what has happened to the town; they couldn't stop or change anything, even if they tried. Put the blame where it belongs, fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the totally incompetent Inner Circle of the Conwy Cabinet.    :rage:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:35 am »
That is no reason whatsoever not to stand up for Llandudno and show US they are trying.