Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 174328 times)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »
There has been temporary traffic lights on Conwy bridge this week and at times queuing traffic has been as far back as the Weekly News island.
And it doesn't help when drivers obviously continue to go through the lights on "RED" on lots of occasions.

It looks as if they are going to be there for a few days yet.

I can't be sure of the reason but the location of the works on Conwy Cob are in the same location as the burst sewage pipe that had an emergency repair other the bank holiday weekend. It looks like Welsh Water may have been performing a permanent fix.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:04 pm »
Just come over the bridge and the lights have been removed and traffic is free-flowing again - hooray!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
The frustration and misery caused by the roadworks on the A55 at St Asaph is about to come to an end on Sunday. I think it must be nearly 11 years ago that a Tesco lorry damaged the bridge which  we were told brought about the works.

I suppose, a bit like Maesdu bridge, we shall forget the inconvenience in a few weeks time, but we still await an explanation over the bridge problems and delays, it all seems very quiet on the topic at present.

I wonder how long it will be before more work somewhere else on the A55 causes us so much inconvenience.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »
It’s no surprise that Llandudno has major traffic problems, when the people who make all the decisions don’t even live in the town. Scrap the County Council and bring back Llandudno Urban District Council. Then we might just get some local accountability :rage:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »
Scrap the County Council and bring back Llandudno Urban District Council. Then we might just get some local accountability :rage:
This is something I've advocated in the past and, with a lot of talk of council mergers lately, it's possible that a full merger of Conwy and Denbighshire County Councils could be on the cards in a  few years. Whilst things like Education and Social services can be handled at County or even Regional level, issues relating to the town itself need to be handled and decided upon at Town level.

Unfortunately, the Town Council appears to be woefully inadequate in dealing with relatively minor things like the Christmas lighting, let alone management of more major matters. What saddens me most about them at present is the paucity of ambition (and this is very evident in the Council Minutes) - it's not a case of 'we'd like to do this, this and this but we don't have the money' but more a case of 'we don't really want to do anything much' and this is a great shame, not to mention a great disservice to the people of Llandudno.

Yorkie

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »
Perhaps they are all awaiting the return (or not) of their illustrious Leader Mr Byron Davies to inject some enthusiasm!      ¢¢##  ¢¢##  ¢¢##  ¢¢##

Offline Trojan

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2010, 04:22:42 am »
Perhaps they are all awaiting the return (or not) of their illustrious Leader Mr Byron Davies to inject some enthusiasm!      ¢¢##  ¢¢##  ¢¢##  ¢¢##

We have to wait to see if Mr Davies is found not guilty of injecting something else first.  :-X

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:00 am »
 :o :o :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 08:06:04 pm »
Be very careful what you say about Mr Davies, as I'm quite sure he will be found not guilty in the very near future. His biggest mistake, was not knowing who his real enemies were inside CCBC. When he comes back look out for fireworks and a few hasty redundancies  >>>
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 08:10:56 pm »
Be very careful what you say about Mr Davies, as I'm quite sure he will be found not guilty in the very near future. His biggest mistake, was not knowing who his real enemies were inside CCBC. When he comes back look out for fireworks and a few hasty redundancies  >>>
I find all this internal nonsense at CCBC pathetic.No wonder problems like the Pier Pavilion site are left unresolved for 16 years if these highly paid plonkers at Bodlondeb spend all their time plotting against each other instead of doing any real work. Get rid of the lot of them.  :rage:

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: The long running saga of Maesdu Bridge
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 09:42:58 pm »
I went over the Maesdu Bridge on Mon. they were removing the temporary concrete barriers, having completed the metal barriers. So it seems the installation is just about complete.    ZXZ  Z**  $wales
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »
Does anyone know what the red stripe round the island is for?  Please don't tell me it's a cycle track! :-[

I always make sure to drive on the red bit, I've paid my road tax so want to use all the road D)  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2010, 07:51:02 am »
I've paid my road tax so want to use all the road

_))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »
 ;D  Glad to see Augusta Street is being resurfaced next week Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2010, 03:24:58 pm »
How about we scrap the Town Council in Llandudno and just have an elected Mayor, perhaps serving a 3 year term. The position attracts a decent salary in order to attract applications from people with some business sense. At an election, each candidate puts forward a specific agenda of actions that he/she intends to take and are judged upon their progress at the next election.

As far as their powers go, they have direct control over those depts that impact upon the look of the towns, i.e street cleaning & litter collection, public area maintenance, street lighting, parks & gardens, public events. They could also either control or have a strong input into other areas. i.e. economic development, planning etc. Depts such as Education, Social Services etc can still be handled at either County or even Regional level.

At present, the Town Council in Llandudno seems to suffer from a paucity of ambition, they do a 'little bit' here and there and think that is good enough. They would be more suited to running the affairs of a small village rather than the largest seaside resort in Wales.