Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015358 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3480 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:19 am »
An expensive and indulgent weekend for me...

Friday night was dinner at Johnny Dough's, absolutely top notch as always. Good sized pizza, tastes fresh, good selection of local booze. 10/10

Carlos in Craigydon on Saturday night, very good Italians (something I'm not normally too fussed on). Great service and quite a nice little restaurant.

Sunday morning soup at Tu Hwnt I'r Bont (spiced parsnip), a hearty portion size served with crusty warmed bread. Personally prefer curried parsnip to spiced parsnip but still good. The scones are good too.

Sunday lunch at The Albert, I am morally AGAINST having to pay extra for a Yorkshire pudding with your roast dinner if it's not beef. Listen here, if it doesn't have a yorkie, it is not a roast dinner in my view. Other than that, the beef I had was a touch overcooked but other than that it was good.
We went to East on Friday evening, very busy in there. Great meal, as always, a good alternative to Tops if you fancy a change.

Like Tom, we also went to the Albert for Sunday Lunch, had the Beef. Delicious, and a decent sized portion as well. A pint of Birra Moretti washed it all down nicely.  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3481 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:41 pm »
This caravan park restaurant will take on Gordon Ramsay and Pierre Marco White to be named UK's best eating place
Signatures in Conwy has been shortlisted for Restaurant of the Year 2017

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/caravan-park-restaurant-take-gordon-13081570

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3482 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:00 pm »
May I stick my nose in to all these eating posts. Because I don't eat out often so don't feel qualified to comment. Also I am not too sure about posting with very dubious comments. However, moderators no hard feeling if you delete.
  This week was the AGM of an association I am a member of. The venue is moved but for the last few years it's been the Marine in Old Colwyn. Light refreshments provided, nothing fancy, not a meal.
  But this year the venue was changed to Porth Eirias, the main reason being car parking space. I was told that the room costs were the same. I presume that covers the refreshments.
  I cannot beat about the bush. In scouse language I would say " you're having a laugh." The refreshments, if that is the correct word, were terrible. Two choices of sandwiches, both with dried up bread and nothing much in between. Some sort of, I don't know, was it a cold sausage roll. And coffee which I didn't even have.
  By comparison the Marine was a feast. A good choice of fresh hot snacks.
   At least I can boast " oh I've eaten in the Porth Eirias". But don't hold your breath for me to return for a proper meal

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3483 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:57 am »
The Mulberry in Conwy was always the same for sandwiches. Dried up bread and a tiny dot of butter in the middle of the sandwich! couldn't even be bothered to spread it to the edges - they always charged about £7 for them as well, ludicrous. Give me Edwards or the Ham Bone any day (although if you're eating outside the battle with the Seagulls might well void your enjoyment)

Offline BMD

« Reply #3484 on: May 24, 2017, 06:17:27 pm »
  But this year the venue was changed to Porth Eirias, the main reason being car parking space. I was told that the room costs were the same. I presume that covers the refreshments.
  I cannot beat about the bush. In scouse language I would say " you're having a laugh." The refreshments, if that is the correct word, were terrible.

Are refreshments provided to the rented conference rooms (I assume that's what you mean, rather than the main restaurant area) served up by the Bryn Williams people?

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3485 on: May 24, 2017, 06:45:08 pm »
We made a reservation for the skip today as we had friends visiting who live inland and we thought they would enjoy the sea view.
We also read on the reviews that a new menu was due end April, beg May.
Sadly, this was not the case so all four of us chose the fish fingers again as did the couple on the next table to us.
Shame the choice is still so limited and not in my view very seasonal at all.
The same cannot be said for the tea menu which has plenty of variety and we spotted a rhubarb spritzer. This was delicious and most unusual.
We were served today by an excellent Spanish waitress from Seville.
When I think of the huge varied choice available on the Dylan's menu I can't help thinking the takings are going to take a dive at the skip when they open.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3486 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
Last weekend, one of our daughters, her husband and another couple visited Wildwood.

Everyone ordered a main meal but because our daughter wan't feeling brilliant, she asked if she could please order a half portion of risotto.

Her request was refused leaving her to pay for a £12 meal and having to leave half of it.

Needless to say none of the four will be returning and I doubt if we ever will either.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3487 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:49 pm »
We made a reservation for the skip today as we had friends visiting who live inland and we thought they would enjoy the sea view.
We also read on the reviews that a new menu was due end April, beg May.
Sadly, this was not the case so all four of us chose the fish fingers again as did the couple on the next table to us.
Shame the choice is still so limited and not in my view very seasonal at all.
The same cannot be said for the tea menu which has plenty of variety and we spotted a rhubarb spritzer. This was delicious and most unusual.
We were served today by an excellent Spanish waitress from Seville.
When I think of the huge varied choice available on the Dylan's menu I can't help thinking the takings are going to take a dive at the skip when they open.

Fish Fingers ?  OMG.....I'll send our great granddaughters with you next time ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #3488 on: May 25, 2017, 05:30:39 pm »
Lunch at Dylan's today service was perfect they did phone to put back our booking by 30 mins I had Caesar salad it was spot on with a good dressing the other half had seafood linguine plenty of seafood and perfectly cooked our guests had hake ,and sea bass both well cooked and of ample size, so a good start they gave us a tour of the building and we were impressed with the referb but it's going to take some filling in the winters

Offline hollins

« Reply #3489 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:16 pm »
That's good to hear. Very brave of you going on the first day.
I was wondering who would be first to report back.
Thanks for giving us all the feedback.   $good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3490 on: May 26, 2017, 08:03:28 am »
I haven't been to Dylan's yet but you're right to say it will take some filling, it is MASSIVE, 250 covers, without including the outside seating.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3491 on: June 02, 2017, 10:14:51 am »
Mrs B and I visited the refurbished Erskine Arms Conwy yesterday evening and I have to say that I was very impressed. The fitting out is a work of art, with lots of beautiful oak. It's nicely planned too, with different types of seating areas, open plan in parts. (A pity Robinson's didn't use the same interior designer for the Mulberry....) And delightfully, no muzac! There was a good choice of draught beer and the food was very good, the staff keen and friendly. It's a real asset to Conwy.

A little different to the response to when we called in at the new Dylan's on Tuesday lunchtime. No-one sitting outside despite it being a lovely day and just five people inside on the ground floor. We just wanted a light lunch but were told by a bored waitress that upstairs was full and they didn't do food downstairs..... 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Dave

« Reply #3492 on: June 02, 2017, 11:29:23 am »
[quote author=Bosun link=topic=1493.msg98746#msg98746 date=1496394891

A little different to the response to when we called in at the new Dylan's on Tuesday lunchtime. No-one sitting outside despite it being a lovely day and just five people inside on the ground floor. We just wanted a light lunch but were told by a bored waitress that upstairs was full and they didn't do food downstairs.....
[/quote]
Do they serve food outside or is that too risky because of gull attacks?
Not a good way to kick off your business though!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3493 on: June 02, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
I was looking up Dylan's details on Google the other day, and saw the review section, and was surprised by the negative comments....price of drinks,(careful which wine you order some are £11 per glass) food quality and the comparison to their other sites, bearing in mind the hype over opening of this restaurant, it's hardly a good first impression, which is so important to any new business, let's hope it is just teething problems. 

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3494 on: June 02, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
I only have anecdotal evience of the food quality of the new Dylans, of my three chums who have managed to eat there, one person raved about it (but he is an elderly bachelor who has to eat his own cooking) and two who took parties of five and six people and both described the food as no better than average, certainly nothing special. I have to say that after my experience, I won't hurry back.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.