Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015217 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3420 on: February 13, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
We are back, all was well apart from a slightly dry risotto.
The service was friendly and we liked the spacious inside and thought it was nicely decorated.
The distant sea views were also enjoyed from one of the many windows. One room off to the side had a log fire burning making it look welcoming.
I particularly like a place that serves food all day which suits my preferred eating time of a late lunch.

However the best bit of the afternoon came as we were driving away from the pub. I accosted a young man and his dog in the hope that it was Hugo and it was!
Lovely to finally meet you Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3421 on: February 13, 2017, 06:20:50 pm »
It was my pleasure Hollins and thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to speak to me.   It was nice to put a face to a name and to meet your Mother and husband.  It was good to see them looking so well after the accidents that they both have had.
I'm pleased that you all enjoyed your food and the experience of the Pen Y Bryn.      $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3422 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Dylan's release Washington Hotel cocktail lounge CGI image
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/dylans-release-washington-hotel-cocktail-12628883

The company is on track to open the new restaurant in the seaside town in May.
They have received £190,000 from the Welsh Government through the Tourism Investment Support fund. http://gov.wales/topics/culture-tourism-sport/tourism/tourism-investment-support-scheme/?lang=en

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3423 on: February 20, 2017, 02:14:01 pm »
Will be good to have another quality addition to the Llandudno eating/drinking scene.

Lot of work going on at the Links Hotel, I see. They're ripping it apart inside.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3424 on: February 20, 2017, 02:51:12 pm »
I got takeaway from Tops last night. Sadly, they got half the order wrong (no king prawn chop suey for us).

The food we asked for was great, the beef dish which was swapped in for the king prawn one... less so.

I've still not tried Nikki Yips, might do that next time I fancy chinese. 
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3425 on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
DaveR, I walked past the Links this afternoon.

There is an artist's impression of the improvements outside and on the corner by the roundabout.

Between the Links and Dylan's, in my opinion, CyD will fast become a much sought after area to buy a property with house prices expected to rise a least 10% in 2017.

Watch this space.  D)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3426 on: February 20, 2017, 04:42:26 pm »
I got takeaway from Tops last night. Sadly, they got half the order wrong (no king prawn chop suey for us).

The food we asked for was great, the beef dish which was swapped in for the king prawn one... less so.

I've still not tried Nikki Yips, might do that next time I fancy chinese.

Only been once to Nikki Ips, everyone hyped it to high heaven, so we went with high expectations so we were disappointed.
People come from 30 miles away apparently, as it's such great quality.
I thought it was rubbish to be honest.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3427 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:42 pm »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.

"The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally"

Two of those have only just opened! They don't show anything. I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Come back in a year and we'll see if they are still doing well. My guess is that in the winter they will be deserted.
Where as a 'dive' as you put it, will have a steady stream of local customers all year round. Just like the Malt loaf and mail coach do  that have been open years.

I have it on good authority (which normally means that it is a local rumour...) that the Albion and Bridge Inn Conwy consortium (and the Australian Bar, Port Madoc) are planning to take on another two pubs, location currently unknown, on the back of the success of the three current pubs they run. That's a pretty good success story that has shown that they have the a very successful business model. I don't think that it's a coincidence that since the Albion opened and it's success, every pub in Conwy has been re-vamped, tidied up or refurbished, including the Malt Loaf (soon-to-be Erskine Arms) which has reputedly had £750k spent on it. It's a really good news story for Conwy.

Unfortunately Conwy has yet to have a juggling shop......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3428 on: February 27, 2017, 03:51:58 pm »
This may be controversial, but the fact of the matter is that the Liverpool Arms had been in decline for sometime.  Once a delightful pub, it had become very a tatty and grubby establishment which often ran out of beer at busy periods. The George and Dragon was little better and desperately needs the refit that it's currently undergoing. The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally, and that the requirement is for well run clean pubs, not 'dives'. Let's hope that the LA re-opens with a refurbishment; it's a fantastic location with virtually a captive audience, and correctly run will undoubtedly be a very successful venture.

"The Albion, The Bank and The Bridge show that there is plenty of trade locally"

Two of those have only just opened! They don't show anything. I could open a juggling ball shop today if I wanted to, would that mean there was plenty of trade for juggling balls locally?

Come back in a year and we'll see if they are still doing well. My guess is that in the winter they will be deserted.
Where as a 'dive' as you put it, will have a steady stream of local customers all year round. Just like the Malt loaf and mail coach do  that have been open years.

I have it on good authority (which normally means that it is a local rumour...) that the Albion and Bridge Inn Conwy consortium (and the Australian Bar, Port Madoc) are planning to take on another two pubs, location currently unknown, on the back of the success of the three current pubs they run. That's a pretty good success story that has shown that they have the a very successful business model. I don't think that it's a coincidence that since the Albion opened and it's success, every pub in Conwy has been re-vamped, tidied up or refurbished, including the Malt Loaf (soon-to-be Erskine Arms) which has reputedly had £750k spent on it. It's a really good news story for Conwy.

Unfortunately Conwy has yet to have a juggling shop......

The Albion isn't comparable with the Bridge or the Bank as they don't do food.
Also every pub in Conwy hasn't been re-vamped. The Blue Bell and the Mail coach are exactly the same and as popular as ever. The Malt Loaf as you rightly say is being redone as an eatery so we'll see how well that bodes with the nearest two pubs doing exactly the same thing as well as competition from other restaurants.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3429 on: February 28, 2017, 03:24:08 pm »
I really hope the consortium are looking at Llandudno, from a personal point of view. Having said that, I was in The Snowon on Sunday and was very impressed, will definitely have to return for a bevvy or two. Ashamed to have not been before.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3430 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:54 pm »
I really hope the consortium are looking at Llandudno, from a personal point of view. Having said that, I was in The Snowon on Sunday and was very impressed, will definitely have to return for a bevvy or two. Ashamed to have not been before.

The Snowdon is owned by the same company that own the Cottage Loaf, Erskine Arms etc but hopefully they will leave it alone as it is great as it is.  As an aside the consortium that own The Albion, Bridge etc no longer own The Australian in Porthmadog. Instead, Purple Moose have taken it on, are refurbishing it and will re-open it without the other three breweries.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3431 on: February 28, 2017, 04:07:33 pm »
Refurbishing it? I could swear I wrote a story not too long about refurbishment when first taken on by consortium.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3432 on: February 28, 2017, 04:18:10 pm »
Refurbishing it? I could swear I wrote a story not too long about refurbishment when first taken on by consortium.

Having another refurb by the looks of it:

https://www.facebook.com/AustraliaPorthmadog/posts/1662506390709226

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3433 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:52 am »
A bit away from the thread. However a mention about the Australia pub in Porthmadog. Thought to myself, been in there years ago.
   However a funny incident years ago in my coach driving days. The firm was m and h of trefnant. I was being briefed by one of the bosses about a school run I was doing at 6 30 the next day. It was a long way, private school of course. Start st Asaph,Abergele, towyn, Rhyl, Prestatyn, meliden, dyserth , trelawned, lloc, gorsedd, Holywell off to Chester. In the towns in order all the pickups were close to a pub. George and dragon, swan in Rhyl, cross foxes Prestatyn, red lion
Dyserth druids gorsedd etc etc. At one stage the boss said to me "do you know where all these pubs are?" My reply. Never mind know them, so far every one you mentioned I have been inside at one time or another

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3434 on: March 02, 2017, 06:52:47 pm »
That reminded me of a couple of things that happened to me when I was playing football many years ago.    When we played against a team from Maghull near Liverpool we used to hire a coach and then pick up the players at certain pick up points on the way there.      The last pick up point was outside the Rose and Crown in New Brighton, just outside Mold where my friend Tony was waiting inside the pub for the coach to arrive.
I used to ask the driver to give two hoots on the horn and then I'd go inside to find him.
Unknown to the others the two hoots was a prearranged signal for Tony to order another pint for me and we would enjoy a quick pint together before going on our way to the match.        Z**

Another time was when we used to have the end of the football season do and hire a coach to take the team to and from Tremeirchion where we would enjoy an evening in a pub there.    That was quite a sensible thing to do we thought but the coach owner and driver, who incidentally, is well known to Mike and myself  used to turn up to take us home and join in in our drinking spree and have more to drink than we did.    How he got us all home in one piece driving down those narrow lanes at night must have been more by luck than by judgement.     &shake&