Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015228 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3405 on: February 06, 2017, 08:58:20 am »
Love the food in signatures also would recommend the new tal y cafn another very good local chef .

Thank you Norman for your recommendation for Tal-y-Cafn.
We went along there for lunch today having prebooked. It isn't really a fair test to go for a Sunday lunch and especially as the place was packed when we arrived at 2pm.
I had the roast beef and Mr H the lamb. We both thought the meat was excellent quality (Edwards of Conwy) but the vegetables were rather tired, a symptom of the mass catering Sunday lunch probably.
Unfortunately we were seated in a smallish area upstairs which wasn't as pleasant as the downstairs rooms which were attractively decorated.
It looked as though a lot of money had been spent on the building and the decor.
There are loads of chairs and tables on the terrace outside which I imagine will be very pleasant in warmer weather. By the time we left the place was empty. I think everyone had gone to watch the rugby.

That food doesn't look up to your usual standard Hollins although by the look of it the Yorkshire ( odd shape !) did look home made. What was the odd looking thing next to the potatoes please?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3406 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:43 am »
Parsnip!

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3407 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:32 am »
I bloody love parsnips. For Sunday lunch my favourite is probably the Bee Inn in Eglwysbach - although I think every roast dinner should come with a yorkshire pud, not just beef.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3408 on: February 07, 2017, 09:17:18 am »
Mr H agrees with you about the yorkshire pudding. He had the lamb but no yorkshire so I had to give him some of mine!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3409 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:31 am »
I think the debate on Yorkshires depends on family tradition. Nowadays, the trend seems to be to serve them with every roast meat and with the meat. When I was a kid they or it and it was usually a huge thing, cut into portions, was served before the meal, complete with gravy to help fill people up before the meat, probably as there wasn't as much, it being just after the 2nd World War. Any Yorkshire left over at my parents, my Grandma used to take it home and have it warmed up with jam on it !!! She lived to be well over 90 and her diet, to todays standards, was full of fat and sugar.

As for parsnips, I can take or leave them, I only asked because it seemed such a pale affair :o

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3410 on: February 12, 2017, 12:41:43 pm »
Rhos-on-Sea's Cayley Arms pub set for major revamp
The seafront tavern would be re-branded the Cayley Flyer if Conwy council gives the plans the green light.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/rhos-seas-cayley-arms-pub-12580078

Offline hollins

« Reply #3411 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »
Looking for somewhere to go for lunch tomorrow (Monday) with mum and Mr H in the area. There are a lot of places closed on a Monday and I won't go back to the skip until the menu changes. Still the same when I looked a few minutes ago.
Needs to be somewhere with parking not too far away.
I was thinking about the Toad but is that on the stretch that is closed to traffic at the moment?

Online Hugo

« Reply #3412 on: February 12, 2017, 05:04:12 pm »
That stretch isn't closed Hollins but it is one way and parking can be quite difficult and a bit steep on the side streets.   Also there are steep steps leading in to the building.

Offline Neil

« Reply #3413 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
My wife and I often lunch in Osbourne House Hotel Llandudno, you might be on your own on a Monday, but it has a lovely ambiance and the foods quite good.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3414 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:59 pm »
Thanks Neil, It was empty last time we went but yes the food was good and the decor is unusual to say the least!

Thanks Hugo, I was a bit worried about the steps so I think I will leave it until another time. Don't want mum falling again!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3415 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
Looking for somewhere to go for lunch tomorrow (Monday) with mum and Mr H in the area. There are a lot of places closed on a Monday and I won't go back to the skip until the menu changes. Still the same when I looked a few minutes ago.
Needs to be somewhere with parking not too far away.
I was thinking about the Toad but is that on the stretch that is closed to traffic at the moment?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/north-wales-chef-bryn-williams-12594904

Don't think the menu will be on his mind at the moment. :roll:

Online Hugo

« Reply #3416 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:51 am »
No new menu coming
and old pier going!

What on earth will Hollins do?        :o

Offline hollins

« Reply #3417 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
We have decided to go and try Pen-y-Bryn. Still got a Bryn in there!
Not been before what do we think forum???

Offline Neil

« Reply #3418 on: February 13, 2017, 02:00:42 pm »
We gave up after three small faults on three consecutive occasions. Good luck!

Offline hollins

« Reply #3419 on: February 13, 2017, 02:03:13 pm »
Oh dear! On route , will let you know!