Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015283 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3000 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »
That's very true guys, and the Sphinx, plus the Cup's n Cakes shop were both discussed on here at the time of their opening.

Cups n Cakes had very high rents / rates to contend with, and it seemed that only a national branded outlet might succeed in there.

The Sphinx didn't really have a range, and were reliant on the Shisha culture taking hold in Llandudno.  It's not really that kind of town is it?  Not even with the young ones.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3001 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:14 am »
The chips look like frozen ones and a bit insipid to boot. Must admit I don't like the trend for putting everything in different dishes on the plate either but that's just me. The worst offence of the lot is to serve food on a wooden platter or a piece of slate!

I agree there Dave, those chips or frites ( !!!) as they call them don't appeal to me at all. They look decidedly undercooked.!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #3002 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:42 pm »
A rather good lunch there earlier, excellent salt and pepper Squid followed by the Skate, 2nd lunch was Squid followed by smoked Haddock on creamed mustard potatoes and a poached egg as a special 2 course for £10.95, full price would have been about £20.
The place was busy by the time we left and 1pm, a lovely lady at reception and service was very good.
Unless you have tried it I think you should take a neutral stance.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3003 on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:34 pm »
Oh well Beefeater is the big signing into the Tudno Castle,not really good news but at least its getting started thanks to them and we will be getting Prezzo

Offline Chompy78

« Reply #3004 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:31 am »
Partner and I looked at opening a place. Rents make it impossible for a new business. Need to be a chain with money behind you to open there.

Llandudno unfortunately will become a pretty boring place, dominated by chains and pound shops.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3005 on: January 29, 2016, 08:43:08 am »
Partner and I looked at opening a place. Rents make it impossible for a new business. Need to be a chain with money behind you to open there.

Llandudno unfortunately will become a pretty boring place, dominated by chains and pound shops.
...as will most towns in the UK, unfortunately. It's fast becoming a corporate world.  &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3006 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:38 am »
Aren't Premier Inn and Beefeater both owned by the same company?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3007 on: January 29, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »
Aren't Premier Inn and Beefeater both owned by the same company?
Indeed they are, Bri.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3008 on: February 06, 2016, 04:48:45 pm »
Skip correspondent here!
We took my mum for lunch today.
Still no sherry and they shouldn't be too much longer with it as she will be 90 in April!
She had the skate and we shared the fish pie which we thought was over salty.
The last photo is for Hugo........your Swiss style brandy coffee in your home town of Colwyn Bay!
Would be lovely to meet up with you there for one of those some day!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3009 on: February 06, 2016, 06:11:12 pm »
That coffee does look nice hope that you enjoyed it and your meal too.     Let's hope that they get the sherry in for you next time you go there.
I was at the Toad yesterday and had one of their £5.00 lunches which was really tasty.   Their Valentine menu looks really appealing too  so I'm looking forward to going there next Sunday.     $good$

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3010 on: February 07, 2016, 11:37:07 am »
Living in a town with mainly small businesses and family run shops, it is heartening to see that many shops that were empty five years ago are now thriving, with plenty of variety on offer for  the people that stay at the Castle or the B&B's around the town, and lots of day trippers. There's even a cupcake shop/cafe that seems to do well. There are plenty of small cafes and hairdressers, three charity  shops and a really good antiques centre that features on the Antiques Road Trip now and again. Wetherspoons, who took over the Castle Hotel is always busy, and on a wet Tuesday in February I couldn't find a space in the main car park at 11 am!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3011 on: February 07, 2016, 07:58:30 pm »
Which is the good antiques centre? I love a look around those, although mostly I buy things in the Rogers Jones auction.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3012 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:56 pm »
Living in a town with mainly small businesses and family run shops, it is heartening to see that many shops that were empty five years ago are now thriving, with plenty of variety on offer for  the people that stay at the Castle or the B&B's around the town, and lots of day trippers. There's even a cupcake shop/cafe that seems to do well. There are plenty of small cafes and hairdressers, three charity  shops and a really good antiques centre that features on the Antiques Road Trip now and again. Wetherspoons, who took over the Castle Hotel is always busy, and on a wet Tuesday in February I couldn't find a space in the main car park at 11 am!

You're referring to Ruthin I think?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3013 on: February 07, 2016, 10:19:45 pm »
yes, Ruthin. The Antiques Centre is the Old Picture House on Well Street. A recent American Blog described Ruthin as "Pastoral Funky" which is a pretty good description, with lots of interests catered for in music, arts, crafts etc running alongside  the more traditional chapel, church, schools and sports  based communities. Some decent pubs and great restaurants.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3014 on: February 08, 2016, 07:07:22 am »
Poco coffee shop in Nigel Roberts old shop,small Liverpool firm.