Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015565 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2955 on: December 12, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »
LLandudno restaurant scoops triple award.      I'm not a fan of Indian food but for those that are it's good to have this restaurant in the town

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/156065/llandudno-restaurant-scoops-triple-award.aspx#.VmxF6x2MQog.email

Offline squiggle

« Reply #2956 on: December 12, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »
LLandudno restaurant scoops triple award.      I'm not a fan of Indian food but for those that are it's good to have this restaurant in the town

And I'd take something like a vegetable biryani over most other food - spicy but not say Vindaloo (I don't see point in self torture for something too hot for me to taste) is my way.  I think this restaurant must be after my time but good to see you have one doing well.

Thinkng Indian meals in the area, at one time there was a place in the Junction we used a few times for takeaways at home. They did some splendid stuff that I suspect was more sort of Indian home cooking than standard Indian restaurant.  The only problem was you could wait an hour or more to get the meals.  I don't know what happened to it but we stopped using it for that reason.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2957 on: December 12, 2015, 05:45:57 pm »
Went to Jasmine House on Friday night. Decent meal, but I think that Tops is still the best Chinese restaurant in Llandudno.

Not keen on their food hygiene rating ! At least it has now risen from 0 !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2958 on: December 13, 2015, 10:10:54 pm »
To be fair Nem a lot of the low scores on the doors is due to the fact they have no conception of the paperwork and record keeping that is now required. I much preferred the days of the unannounced visit from the health inspector who actually put his/her white coat on and then carried out a physical audit. Now an inspection is just a box ticking exercise.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2959 on: December 14, 2015, 08:59:09 am »
Agreed Blongb,
I have actually heard of someone who said could the inspector come back when they had cleaned up !
Nowadays the book of 'fill in forms ' which has to be kept up to date, is more important to them than white coats and poking around in corners.
My granddaughter had to take her food hygiene certificate when she got a student job serving ice cream, and did it on line ! That says a lot in my old fashioned mind !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2960 on: December 20, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
I've just come home after enjoying a delicious Christmas lunch at Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay.    We both had the Turkey dinner and then the nicest Sticky toffee pudding I've ever tasted.
This was followed by a coffee and mince pie to round off a lovely afternoon meal.        $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2961 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:12 am »
I've just come home after enjoying a delicious Christmas lunch at Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay.    We both had the Turkey dinner and then the nicest Sticky toffee pudding I've ever tasted.
This was followed by a coffee and mince pie to round off a lovely afternoon meal.        $good$
I had the cooked Breakfast in there the other week, very enjoyable.  $good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2962 on: December 23, 2015, 09:09:04 am »
I had an evening meal in Watson's in Conwy last week which was absolutely excellent - and good value too at £22.50 for three courses. Service excellent too. 
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2963 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:43 am »
I had an evening meal in Watson's in Conwy last week which was absolutely excellent - and good value too at £22.50 for three courses. Service excellent too.
Going for a Sunday lunch there early next year, really looking forward to it.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2964 on: December 25, 2015, 12:38:46 pm »
Xmas present from Mr Hollins.........lunch at the skip on New Year's Eve!
Watch this space!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2965 on: December 25, 2015, 09:04:22 pm »
here too,a voucher for the skip to be used by June so i will wait for Hollins report first.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2966 on: December 26, 2015, 04:23:43 pm »
Let's hope they have got rid of the leaky roof problem and resulting buckets by the time you go

Offline hollins

« Reply #2967 on: December 31, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »
here too,a voucher for the skip to be used by June so i will wait for Hollins report first.

Lucky you Wrex, get that voucher spent. We had a super lunch there today.

We approached the skip in terrible weather conditions but were greeted very warmly by a Welsh girl who showed us to our table by the window with a great view despite the awful weather.
The restaurant was pretty full and yes it was quite noisy but we thought this made a good atmosphere.
This is where we had two minor hiccups. The first was that no one came to take an order from us, not even for a drink so I got up and found someone which proved to be our saviour as we were treated very well from that point on and were offered and given free desserts for the initial neglect.
The second problem, no sherry! Oh no, better get some Amontillado in for next time Bryn!
The food was delicious, all of it.
Starters, grilled prawns for me and Conwy mussels for Mr H who said the sauce was the best he had had outside France. We both thought these two dishes would have been better served with a basket of bread rolls.
For the main course I had mushroom risotto, lots of different kinds of mushrooms, exactly the right consistency and served very hot. Mr H had the lobster roll and chips.
The desserts were apple crumble with a crispy nutty topping and panna cotta with poached plums.
What made it for us was being able to sit there enjoying excellent food with the ever changing light from the sky on the sea despite the weather being atrocious at the start.
I would say that the younger staff are still unsure exactly what they should be doing but they now have more senior staff on duty intervening if necessary to make sure things are running smoothly.
We both said we should go with an open mind, in particular me because I had been so disappointed by the building itself but we found sitting inside it and especially by the window you soon forgot how awful it was from the outside. In fact having seen it empty and now with a bustling restaurant inside, I think they have done a good job (inside!).

Offline hollins

« Reply #2968 on: December 31, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »
Lunch, part two.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2969 on: December 31, 2015, 07:38:24 pm »
What is the name of the establishment you keep calling the skip?