Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015396 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2790 on: June 27, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »
Nice pizza in Snooze bar last night,very busy and nice to see ,then ended up in Cooneys what a contrast,but that is always good,you know what you are getting and Cooneys was busy.

After reading your post, I tried to find their menu on line, ended up on Tripadvisor ...........Interesting comments, all but one positive, bearing in mind the discussion on the "No Riff Raff" sign outside, the majority seem to appreciate the policy.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190724-d7247448-Reviews-Snooze-Llandudno_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html#REVIEWS

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2791 on: June 27, 2015, 08:51:08 pm »
  Just for a laugh ----- true story of me going into the Liverpool Arms in Conwy 25 years ago when it was run by a very enthusiastic young manager. Heaving with customers and staff in the tiny bar.
   Young manager shouting "hold on. Hold on everyone. Stop serving. Just for a minute. For a joke."
   "What happens when an eskimo goes for a pee?"   The manager grabs a handful of ice cubes from the bucket and proceeds to propel them like bullets all over the floor of the bar serving area.
   "O.K. now, everybody back to serving."
     Hugh laughs all round. Especially when first one, then another, then another bar staff slipped and fell over the ice.
    Oh if only youtube had been invented in those days

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2792 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:58 am »
Liverpool Arms had boarding down and lots of renovation work going on inside on Saturday.

Also, Conwy was rammed. Stopped three tourists from feeding the bloody seagulls.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2793 on: July 23, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »
Dozens battle for Liverpool Arms licensee job in Conwy

Fifty applicants are battling to become the new licensee at Conwy’s most iconic pub.
Last month the Liverpool Arms located on Conwy’s quayside suddenly closed after it was shut down by its parent company Enterprise Inns who went to court to remove the publicans just before Conwy’s Pirate Weekend.
Since then the pub has looked a sorry sight with windows fitted with metal grills. Locals says the quayside has also become visibly quieter since the closure.

But such is the interest in the pub that Enterprise Inns have had to extend interviews for a new publican.
Matt Frost Enterprise Inns area manager said: “I can confirm interviews have had to be extended into four days, as there are 50 applicants.
“It is very unusual as we hadn’t even advertised the pub, people have just heard through the grapevine.
“We are taking our time to find the right applicant, somebody who is local and understands the local community and cares about the area.
MORE..http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dozens-battle-liverpool-arms-licensee-9713164

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2794 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »
Today I was treated by my wife to an afternoon tea at the St Tudno's Hotel in Llandudno and what a treat it was.   Tea & Coffee and a  selection of cut finger sandwiches on either white or brown bread of Highland Smoked Salmon with Fresh Cucumber, Roast Honey Baked Ham with English Mustard Egg Mayonnaise
Then Warm home made Scone with Butter Whipped Cream and Preserve, Welsh Cake with Hot Melted Butter,  Slice of Buttered Bara Birth
Followed by Freshly Made Assortment of Cakes of the Day.
Everything was delicious and very well presented but it turned out that my eyes were bigger than my belly and we had to take some home in a doggie bag.
But what an enjoyable experience with very friendly and helpful staff.    From this ideal location we could see the visitors having a great time in the Summer sunshine.  The pleasure boats were full as were the land trains that kept passing by all the time and the children were enjoying the nearby Punch and Judy show.
We will be going back there asap as it was excellent value for £11.95         $good$

Online Hugo

« Reply #2795 on: July 26, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »
My wife and I enjoyed a lovely evening with a couple of friends last night at The Toad in Colwyn Bay.   We all enjoyed our meals which were
very tasty and well presented.
The friends were very impressed with everything about the restaurant and I'm sure that they will be back when they next visit the area.   $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2796 on: July 26, 2015, 02:37:00 pm »
We have just returned from an excellent lunch in Watkin & Co in the Empire Hotel together with a harpist.

From past experience, we have found sunday lunch is not always available for non-residents.

When it is, I recommend it.

Online Hugo

« Reply #2797 on: July 26, 2015, 06:08:35 pm »
I've always enjoyed a nice meal in the Poolside bar but a neighbour recently told me about the Watkin & co and how much she liked it there so I must put that on my list for places to go to.
Thanks Bri for recommending it.        $good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2798 on: July 27, 2015, 10:38:12 am »
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2799 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:31 am »
Sounds excellent. And well done to them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2800 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:06 pm »
I have got a Swiss friend staying with me at the moment so we had a super treat today, lunch at Bodysgallen Hall. It makes such a great day out with the walk around the garden afterwards and this time we were so lucky to be sat in the big window with fabulous views.
Good value considering the high level of excellent friendly service and well cooked food.

Online Hugo

« Reply #2801 on: July 28, 2015, 10:31:29 pm »
A great photo of that cake Hollins,  the others are good too.      ;D

We are going there for afternoon tea soon so I hope that our cakes will be as nice as yours.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2802 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
New licensee of Conwy's Liverpool Arms Pub appointed

Two local businessmen have been appointed as the new landlords of the iconic Liverpool Arms pub on Conwy Quay.
Lance Scally, who is already the owner of the Castle View in Deganwy and The Gladstone in Dwygyfylchi, and Toby Watson, who owns Watson Catering Services and Outside Catering Co based in Llandudno, beat 50 other applicants to take on the role.
The pub was closed suddenly last month by Enterprise Inns, and has looked a sorry sight ever since with boarded up windows, while the Quay has been noticeably quiet.

Matt Croft, regional manager of Enterprise Inns said: “We believe that the experience and combination of skills that Lance and Toby will bring to the Liverpool Arms has justified our decision in appointing them from what was a difficult choice.
“They are both well-known in the county, and understand the local community.”

The pub has undergone a programme of refurbishment, including new toilets, internal decoration, kitchen fit out and a full cellar refurbishment. Following completion of the works, the Liverpool Arms will reopen early August.
Toby said: “We are looking to establish the Liverpool Arms as a quality drink and food quayside venue within Conwy and provide the community with a local hub in such a fantastic location.
“We have listened to both previous customers and staff and we believe that the offering provided will reflect the needs of locals and tourists alike.”

Lance said: “When we reopen in early August we look forward to welcoming back the loyal customer base that Jon and Clare Roberts built up over the last 18 years and a return to its former glory with a creation of the “Pub is the Hub” atmosphere.
Lance confirmed the first floor will be opened for the first time in the near future, and the pub will be serving food such as local Conwy mussels with chips. REFDPost

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2803 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:30 pm »
I would really like to believe that this is positive news, but based on The Gladstone and Castle View, I'm not optimistic.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #2804 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:06 am »
If Toby is be doing the food then the food will be of a high standard. Knowing Toby and his outside catering company, there offering is a of a very high standard.

Good luck to them both.