Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015211 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2595 on: February 03, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »
Having been to the Jai Ho several times, I can state that the food is excellent. I have been to India and Asia numerous times and love the food, and the Jai Ho is on a par with the best UK Indian restaurants. My only gripe is that the beer, Cobra or Kingfisher (in my opinion the only thing to drink with Indian food....) is excessively expensive at £3.50 for a small bottle making it about £7 a pint.
Other than that, the Jai Ho is delightful with food to die for and nice staff. Do try it, it's not a curry house, it's Indian fine dining at it's best.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Yorkie

Re: What would YOU like to see developed?
« Reply #2596 on: February 03, 2015, 07:41:53 pm »
The car park in Gloddaeth could be either excavated or sympathetically built on to form more car parking spaces at surely far less expense ? It certainly couldn't look any more modern than the new block of flats next to it .

Both of the Gloddaeth Street Car Parks are leased to the Council by Mostyn Estates.  The Maelgwyn Road one is a short term lease and is due for development for Residential use.  Or I should say, was, the last info I had.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2597 on: February 03, 2015, 08:59:48 pm »
The Maelgwyn Road one is appallingly dirty and the Gloddaeth one is full of pot holes and the parking lines are barely visible
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2598 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:55 am »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wales-first-cat-cafe-could-8571028

Much as I love animals, I shall avoid this or be sneezing my head off !

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #2599 on: February 04, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »
1: Do SOMETHING with the Boulevard and the Washington. More in the pipeline with the latter than the former I suppose, but it's an absolute waste to have two cracking venues of that caliber going to waste at that end of town. Even if one were a restaurant and one were a nightclub, rather than both being turned back into pubs/clubs, fine - but right now, there's nothing, and there's little worse than that!

Given a choice (plus a big, hefty pile of money), I would bring back the Boulevard as a nightclub while at the very least preserving the former, hidden theater - apologies to campaigners looking to restore the former Broadway theater but given Venue Cymru is right next door, while a smaller community theater could be the answer to what Conwy Civic Hall USED to be (don't get me started on the travesty of that closing down!!) and could provide kids' groups and the like with a place to rehearse, that space is now served by the improved Theatr Colwyn. I appreciate the costs at Theatr Colwyn may be a smidge prohibitive for small groups, but they at the very least provide a space for community pantomime etc.

Llandudno needs a choice of nightclubs that isn't restricted to Club 147 (apologies to enthusiasts of Fountains, but it's just not big enough). And at the very least, both Boulevard and the Wash need to be open and doing something.

2: (Don't know whether or not it's been touted before, BUT) Create a single, monthly (or every-other-monthly) meeting at a big enough venue where town police officers; town councillors; county officials; members of the Chamber of Trade and Federation of Small Businesses; business owners; the chaps from the Pier; the RNLI; the Hospitality Association; the organisers behind the Extravaganza, Daffodil Campaign and the Alice Trail; representatives from Mostyn Estates; the North Shore committee; the guys from the Great Orme Country Park; Friends Groups of the various parks and management from the Victoria Centre, Parc Llandudno and Mostyn Champneys ALL come together to chat things over in a forum. I've seen it done in other places and it's surprising how many wheels it can oil. Regardless of how busy their schedules might be, I'm sure those various parties have interest enough in Llandudno's welfare to put it together. That creates a single, unified talking shop where everything from parking to rates to crime to tourism to all else besides can be hammered out quickly.

Chaps behind Extravaganza are concerned about rates? Federation of Small Businesses and the Hospitality Association can discuss a way forward with them. And so on and so on. Everyone gets to express their concerns in a frank but forward-thinking environment.

And make it a repeating date so the press know to attend on a regular basis. That would make the people spearheading some of the big initiatives wider-known. And moreover, one would hope it would help stem antagonism - everyone would realise that everyone else is trying to improve the place; just everyone has different ideas on how to do it. I'm sure the Alice Trail is benevolently intended, even if there are natterings on the effect it will have on the town; I'm sure the Extravaganza is difficult to run and organisers hope to bring it back to its Victorian roots; I'm sure the council WANTS to get the Pier Pavilion back in use etc.

My feeling is that a heady chunk of the problems affecting this area are the apparent cloak-and-dagger way in which they are dealt; once that is sorted and everything's out in the open, it's hardly a fix-all button, but it makes sure that everyone is watching everyone else on a frequent basis.

3: Redevelop the tram line, but make it a PIECEMEAL approach; first to the pier (no need for a station, just a drop-off point); then further along the prom; then along Penrhyn Bay etc. Piece by careful, tedious piece. Of course, to have it run along the prom would require improved sea defences (don't want high winds pelting tramcars with stones, do we?) but that can be looked at in the light of what's going on. Likewise, stretch it down to the old station on the West Shore.

4: (Not an outright development, more a change in thinking, but ) - create some sort of Towns Partnership; yes, I'm serious!

Right now, there seems to be a lot of envy between Llandudno and Colwyn Bay; the foremost point being that Colwyn Bay got a new beach while Llandudno had its more prominent one repeatedly covered with layers of stone. And Colwyn Bay is in receipt of various bits and bobs of funding (Townscape Heritager; European regeneration funding etc), while Llandudno is having to fend for itself and fight for its own corner.

Won't bore people with how the two towns differ in social demographic and so one may tick more funding criteria boxes than the other etc etc, but like with the forum idea I mentioned above, there needs to be a greater sense of mutual benefit rather than competition and envy. While Llandudno my be the Queen of Welsh resorts, Conwy Council also has to focus its efforts on a multitude of other tourism offerings, towns, villages, services etc further down the Conwy Valley and stretching from Llanfairfechan to Kinmel Bay. There needs to be less a feeling of everyone fighting for pots and attention and more of helping one another out.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2600 on: February 05, 2015, 07:19:10 am »
Lot of effort put into that Jonty and very well said.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2601 on: February 05, 2015, 11:37:22 am »
Yes, great post Jonty.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2602 on: February 05, 2015, 11:51:02 am »
We visited Asia (the restaurant, not the country!) for the first time before Christmas and found it excellent.

Where is Jai-ho?

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2603 on: February 05, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
Deganwy Road, Deganwy.

www.jaihorestaurant.co.uk/

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2604 on: February 05, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
We visited Asia (the restaurant, not the country!) for the first time before Christmas and found it excellent.

Where is Jai-ho?

Next door to Nikki Ips
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2605 on: February 08, 2015, 01:03:04 pm »
I popped into the Rabbit Hole near Trinity Church yesterday and had a lovely meal and latte, followed by a chocolate cake and a complementary smoothie.        $good$   
Until very recently I didn't know the cafe existed which is a shame as the place is well worth a visit.  The place is very inviting, the staff pleasant and the food is good and reasonably priced

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2606 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:17 am »
Having a nose at Travelodge last nite as you would expect,noticed 5 men inside Vollams and the lights on in the old navel club so i take it both have had planning permission.

Offline chemirocha

« Reply #2607 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:23 am »
Do you mean naval? Then again, maybe not, it takes all sorts  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2608 on: February 15, 2015, 10:46:35 am »
I've always enjoyed the themed evening meals at Home from Home in Penrhyn Bay and yesterday's Valentine Night was no exception.  The management and staff always go that extra step to ensure that you have a really good evening.
We were welcomed with a complimentary glass of bubbly when we arrived and then we had an absolutely delicious 3 course meal followed by a coffee of our choice.
We all had the Thai spiced strips of Welsh black extra mature sirloin steak as starters and I had the fillet of plaice with lobster tails as the main course.   Then that was followed by the most delicious profiteroles I have ever tasted. A cappuccino then finished off a lovely evening.
Excellent value at £24.95
Can't wait to see what the St David's Day menu will be.       $good$ 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2609 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »
I see that the Fountain in Upper Mostyn Street has applied to serve until 3.30am on 2 nights a week !