Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015524 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2490 on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:03 am »
Sounds like the thieves went to a lot of trouble for nothing.  &shake& I'm amzed that the Post don't know that the lake is called 'Llyn Elsi', not 'Elsie Lake' either.

Llandudno cafe's stolen cannons discovered at the bottom of a lake
Dec 11, 2014 07:00 By David Powell

The ornaments were taken from the Rest and Be Thankful Cafe, but are due to be returned after an angler found them in Elsie Lake, Betws y Coed

The stolen cannons which were found in a lake and returned to the Rest & Be Thankful cafe on Llandudno's Great OrmeThe stolen cannons which were found in a lake and returned to the Rest & Be

But an angler found them poking out of the water in a dry spell and now they’re set to be returned to the Rest & Be Thankful Cafe on Llandudno’s Great Orme.

Joint cafe owner Dave Kilpatrick said: “I’m delighted to have them back.

“They were stolen four and a half years ago and I thought I’d never see them again. I’m always being asked by customers if there’s any news of them.”

A previous Rest and Be Thankful cafe owner Frank Gorka bought the reproduction cannons in 1998 to add to the dramatic hilltop setting.

It’s thought they had been swiped to order or for scrap to be melted down.

After their sudden disappearance in February, 2010, he said: “It is an awful thing to happen.”

He had thought that they may have been taken to be cleaned but then realised criminals had struck.

He ran the eatery until Dave Kilpatrick and his brother it took over eight years ago.

He said: “They’d been bolted down on concrete plinths facing out to sea and used to have model soldiers standing next to them.

“Four years and a half years after they were stolen I got a phone call from the police saying they’d been found in a lake near Betws y Coed.

“They’d been dumped because the thieves couldn’t get rid of them. I had to identify them.”

Mr Kilpatrick believes it was an angler who found them and reported the find to police.

He and a partner have been given a free stay in his brother’s nearby B&B The Lighthouse on Great Orme’s Head as a thank you for their honesty.

The cannons were black and gilded but now look in a sorry state after about four years underwater.

Said Mr Kilpatrick: “They will be restored then go back in situ in the New Year.”

The cannons are currently in storage at his home in the Llandudno area.

The extremely heavy cast iron curiosities had been bolted to concrete blocks at the Llandudno beauty spot.

In 2010, North Wales Police had said the perpetrators had used bolt cutters to release the 3ft cannons from their fastenings.

It would need at least two people just to lift the cannons.

Officers said the cannons were distinctive, because they also had Spanish writing along the barrels.

Today, Sian and Tony Godbert and daughters Kimberly and Katie, who live in the Betws y Coed area, said they had spotted the cannons in nearby Elsie Lake.

Mrs Godbert said: “They had been thrown off the middle of the dam into the lake. A river keeper Peter Pugh found them with us and helped winch them up.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-cafes-stolen-cannons-discovered-8267933
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:11:22 pm by Ian »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2491 on: December 11, 2014, 12:25:12 pm »
I'm really pleased to hear the news that the cannons had been recovered as the cafe owners have gone to a lot of trouble to make the place so nice.   They were a popular attraction and many visitors and locals alike used to have their photos taken next to the soldiers and cannons and the objects were so well know that it would not be possible for crooks to dispose of them locally without being caught out.
From the location where they were found it seems that the low life perpetrators must have from the Conwy County area

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2492 on: December 11, 2014, 12:37:58 pm »
As an Arsenal fan I'm very pleased

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2493 on: December 12, 2014, 09:13:58 pm »
How to prevent them getting nicked again though??      Bolted on to concrete wasn't enough!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2494 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »
A party of eight of us went to the restaurant in the Queen Vic on Church Walk, for their Christmas menu. Everything we were served was first class and we will certainly be going back to give it a second go in the New Year.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2495 on: December 18, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »
Local cafe owner with may be taking over Badgers in the new year.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2496 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »
The new Costa in Conwy:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2497 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:27 am »
Interestingly, Signatures has emailed all its members to let them know there are still vacancies on the 22nd, but their website states they're closed on the Monday. It's all a little confused.  Two emails have been sent out.  The first states:

"MONDAY 23rd DEC- BOOKINGS STILL AVAILABLE!"

and that was followed, 29 minutes later, by the second:

"MONDAY 22nd DEC- BOOKINGS STILL AVAILABLE!"

This is the first I'd heard about them being open this coming Monday. Curious.

The other issue is that their website is misleading:

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2498 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:50 am »
I'd imagine that you might have the place pretty much to yourself if you fancy fine dining tomorrow. Shows how simple mistakes can cause a business a lot of problems.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2499 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:02 am »
Ian, I also received the same e-mails.

if you click on View Xmas Menu Here further down, not only will you see the menus but also the opening days in December.

http://signaturesrestaurant.co.uk/resources/downloads/signatures-xmas-menu14.pdf

The menus look very attractive.

Shame about the error on dates.  :-}}}

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2500 on: December 20, 2014, 10:07:38 am »
if you click on View Xmas Menu Here further down, not only will you see the menus but also the opening days in December.

They are attractive, beyond doubt. But they need to think about web site presentation. It shouldn't be necessary to follow a link to Menus to find the opening days, when they're displayed (albeit incorrectly)  on the main site page along with the little Xmas logos. And the second email ought to have alerted the recipients to the fact that there was an error in the first. These are little things, but they can lose businesses a lot of money.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2501 on: December 21, 2014, 03:41:25 am »
Ian, while I totally agree with what you say about an accurate and updated website presence but have you ever visited http://www.johnevanscomedian.co.uk/ ?

Now there is an example of a website belonging to a comedian with local connections, who is so funny and popular, that he hasn’t found a need to update his website for many years.

I wonder if it is the same with Signatures?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2502 on: December 21, 2014, 08:08:56 am »
It's amazing how many allow their websites to become outdated. Even major organisations are guilty. In Signature's case, I suspect the website is done by someone there, and it's very easy to leave something in place and not even see it yourself when you've designed it. That's one reason why the best web site designers always work in teams of two, so one can do the proof reading. We like the place and I think it's good for the area, so when we received the two emails, with conflicting information which wasn't quickly clarified by the website I was concerned, because that could lose them business.

Now, all this reminds me that there's a site I've left an incorrect address on...  :rage:

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2503 on: December 21, 2014, 03:42:23 pm »
If anyone is interested Costa Coffee, Castle Street, Conwy will be opening 10am Monday 22nd December.  ££$  $walesflag$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2504 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:27 pm »
Not really one for going out of town to eat,plenty of choice in town ,even a few i have not tried like the Tudno but im sure plenty come into town for their favorite restaurants.I think my problem is i like to have a drink in town after the meal and don;t really want to drive or get a taxi but i know maybe when i get a bit older having a drink might not be a priority lol,lets hope signatures stays around that long.