Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016416 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1650 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »
Seems like the lads from the Town House and Cross Keys have taken on the Parade,good luck.

I'd heard it was Kevin Chin? Either way that's not too bad they have done well with the Keys $good$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1651 on: July 29, 2013, 06:31:35 pm »
Best bara brith we've ever had was in a little coffee house just off the square in Montgomery. Coffee and service was excellent and the parrots were entertaining. $lol$

I didn't know the Parrots gang were still in existance.

Were they on a coach trip from Llandudno?  :-X

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1652 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:43 pm »
Long live the Parrots.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1653 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:35 pm »
When out for a spin this afternoon we were passing Tides Cafe at Llandullas so decided to pop in for a coffee and a slice of Bara Brith.  As it happens we should have kept passing.

We took  a table that had just been vacated.  A serving person cleared the used crockery but left the table dirty with crumbs, sugar crystals and wet areas.  The Mrs placed our order at the counter and in due time to cups of insipid Cappuccino arrived.  In fact it was an insult to the liquid in the oversize cups to refer to it a such.  We had to get sugar from another table as the receptacle on our table was empty.

The two small slices of Bara Brith arrived with some butter that was almost liquid in its wrapping, due no doubt to the heat!  The BB was virtually fruitless and any resemblance between it and the real stuff was totally coincidental.  How the quality of this National Delicacy can vary so much from place to place never fails to amuse me.

As far as we are concerned The Tide is now well and truly OUT for Tides.
 ZXZ

The most recent Bara brith we have had which was good was at the RSPB Conwy, really nice cakes too. Also bought from Aldi the Popty bakery Bara brith quite nice but more like cake than a loaf. There are many different recipes. I have tried to bake one but turned out so heavy could have broken a window with it. The birds enjoyed it for weeks on the bird table  _))* I think a Celtic fayre is coming to Conwy either this week or next, usually picked one up from one of the bakery stalls and usually they have samples.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1654 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:27 am »
I actually make my own, so do know what a good Bara Brith is like.  It should  be a bit on the heavy side due to the fruit and nice moist consistency.    Recipe available if anyone wants it.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #1655 on: July 30, 2013, 10:19:53 am »
Yes I would like the recipe Yorkie, I am a cake baker but Bara brith and other fruit loaves i havent made many of, so would appreciate that. I use to buy years ago from Cadwgan bakery when a dear old friend baked for them every christmas. Never had one quite as good since. ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1656 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:08 am »
Yorkie's Recipe for Bara Brith

INGREDIENTS
500 gr mixed dried fruit  (pop a few chopped glace cherries in if you wish, I don't)
300 ml cold strong tea (1/2 pint)
3 tbsp orange marmalade
1 large egg beaten
7 tbsp dark brown sugar (Muscavado)
1 - 2 tsp mixed spice (depending on taste)
500 gr self-raising flour
honey to glaze

METHOD
1. Soak fruit overnight in the tea.
2) Next day, thoroughly mix the soaked fruit, marmalade, egg, sugar, spice and flour to a wet consistency.  If it appears too dry add some more cold tea, or as I do, add a splash of sherry or a miniature Brandy.
3) Spoon into a large loaf tin or two smaller tins up to about the 3/4 level.
4) Bake in the preheated oven (set to gas 3, 325*F or 170*C) for approximately 1 3/4 hours or until the centre is cooked through. (Use the skewer test).  Check the cooking from time to time to make sure the top does not brown too much, or burn.  If this looks likely cover with foil or move down a shelf.   It is easy to overcook so be careful and you will finish with a nice moist, fruity result.
5) When cooked leave to cool for 5 minutes and then tip onto a cooling tray.  Glaze the top with the honey.
6) When cold serve sliced with salted butter and, if you like, some tasty farmhouse Cheddar.
7) Store in an airtight tin.  (I cut mine in two and freeze one half)

As the results of using this recipe lie with the person doing the baking, I will not accept any responsibility for any poor, undercooked, burnt or awful results.  It works for me!   :D
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1657 on: July 30, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »
Don't forget to grease the tin, even if it is the non-stick variety, or the BB may be difficult to remove.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #1658 on: July 30, 2013, 09:31:14 pm »
"Yorkie's Recipe for Bara Brith"

I very much appreciate this recipe having wanted to make Bara Brith for sometime. Thank you! I look forward to making it albeit in a few weeks.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1659 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:05 pm »
Yorkie's Recipe for Bara Brith

INGREDIENTS
500 gr mixed dried fruit  (pop a few chopped glace cherries in if you wish, I don't)
300 ml cold strong tea (1/2 pint)
3 tbsp orange marmalade
1 large egg beaten
7 tbsp dark brown sugar (Muscavado)
1 - 2 tsp mixed spice (depending on taste)
500 gr self-raising flour
honey to glaze

METHOD
1. Soak fruit overnight in the tea.
2) Next day, thoroughly mix the soaked fruit, marmalade, egg, sugar, spice and flour to a wet consistency.  If it appears too dry add some more cold tea, or as I do, add a splash of sherry or a miniature Brandy.
3) Spoon into a large loaf tin or two smaller tins up to about the 3/4 level.
4) Bake in the preheated oven (set to gas 3, 325*F or 170*C) for approximately 1 3/4 hours or until the centre is cooked through. (Use the skewer test).  Check the cooking from time to time to make sure the top does not brown too much, or burn.  If this looks likely cover with foil or move down a shelf.   It is easy to overcook so be careful and you will finish with a nice moist, fruity result.
5) When cooked leave to cool for 5 minutes and then tip onto a cooling tray.  Glaze the top with the honey.
6) When cold serve sliced with salted butter and, if you like, some tasty farmhouse Cheddar.
7) Store in an airtight tin.  (I cut mine in two and freeze one half)

As the results of using this recipe lie with the person doing the baking, I will not accept any responsibility for any poor, undercooked, burnt or awful results.  It works for me!   :D
So in other words if mine turns out heavy enough to break a window again or feed the birds for a month it is purely my doing.  ;D I love your disclaimer Yorkie, ill try to do your recipe justice thank you ! ZXZ

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1660 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »
Looks like the new takeaway business next to Zak's kebabs in Upper Mostyn Street is ready to open.
I saw the owner tonight checking that the door swings open without a problem.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1661 on: July 31, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
What exactly does one 'Take Away'?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1662 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »
Fish & Chips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1663 on: July 31, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
Fish & Chips

How many take aways in town now??!!! must be at least one per pub if not more - what a nation of fatties we really are   $good$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1664 on: July 31, 2013, 03:14:43 pm »
 Think there r a lot of takeaways in Llandudno? Then think again.

Crewe. Turn left coming out of the railway station and walk straight along that road. A couple of years back I did --- and counted. I got to over thirty on both sides of the road, often next door to each other, in a quarter mile. Now THAT'S what I cann takeaway land