Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1023945 times)

Offline Linda

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1575 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:58 am »
New takeaway eat in opened once again off the A55  Junction 23 Llandulas called Oinkys,  :D didnt think much of the ad in the Colwyn Bay Pioneer , but the breakfasts look substantial. Handy for A55 motorists .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1576 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:49 pm »
That's the one that used to be the 55 Diner. Must send Yorkie round to give it a try.  ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1577 on: July 01, 2013, 05:18:33 pm »
That's the one that used to be the 55 Diner. Must send Yorkie round to give it a try.  ;)

I'm on my way!    ZXZ
Going that direction tomorrow.    $drink$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #1578 on: July 01, 2013, 07:43:11 pm »
Of course the 55 diner used to be a little chef and before that a Happy Eater, so it's had a few owners.  Oinkys, as it is now called, could do with the trees and shrubbery cutting back, and some signage putting up as it cannot be seen from the a55 at all, which would at least give it a fighting chance of survival.  Interestingly the other twin ex little chefs at bodelwyddan are just starting transformation into Starbucks, as with the one near Rhos, Wrexham which succesfully transformed about 12 months ago.  East bound has started being worked on and is due to open in about four weeks, with west bound starting works in a few weeks.  Dave r will now be ok for coffee on his travels!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1579 on: July 01, 2013, 10:38:18 pm »
I remember the former owner of the 55 Diner waging a long battle to have the shrubbery along the A55 cut down to improve the visibility of his restaurant.

Thanks for the info re Starbucks, Yelboh.  $good$

Offline Linda

« Reply #1580 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:51 am »

I'm on my way!    ZXZ
Going that direction tomorrow.    $drink$

Lets us know what it is like Yorkie as it is quite close to us, and will give hubby a treat when he has finished tiling the kitchen in about six months by my rough guess. After yesterday, it was tiling verses Grand Prix.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1581 on: July 02, 2013, 01:52:18 pm »
Before I start let me just say that what I have to say is based on my experience and the opinions of 'er indoors and me.

Visited Oinky's today shortly after mid-day to partake of some light refreshment to satisfy our lunch-time craving.

As one enters this vast hanger like building one realises that it is more of a "truck stop" than a cafe for the more discerning person.  It is stark, lacks atmosphere and the dark decoration and furniture does little to enhance the ambience (if there is any) of the place.  When we entered there were 4 people at one of the low tables presumably just having a drink and 3 others sat at the plastic topped tables.   The tables and chairs were a mixture of fixed seating and pseudo leather and chrome chairs.  The plastic tables were a mixture of colours and the whole interior must have been designed by someone who was colour blind and devoid of any flair for co-ordination.

Enough of that, now down to the reason for our visit.

We ordered (at the counter, no table service), 1 cappuccino, 1 latte, 1 bacon and egg bap and mushrooms on toast.

The first things placed on the table were 2 plastic tea spoons,  a few sachets of brown sugar, and a   caramelised biscuit enclosed in its foil wrapper.   Then came is pretty pink perforated vase thing with knives and forks wrapped in cheap paper serviettes, and a Heinz condiment holder containing brown sauce, tomato ketchup, salt and pepper.   As our drinks were served we were advised that as everything was "local" produce and freshly cooked there would be a short delay. (This statement about everything being Local needs confirmation!)

The Cappuccino lacked any element of the standard froth and the Latte was just milk with a shot of coffee all mixed together, whereas I like my shot "floated" on the milk.  However it was hot and satisfied the palate, although at £2.50 and £2.35 respectively were overpriced for what was served.

The "freshly cooked mushrooms in a creamy sauce on 2 slices of thick toast" could land them in deep trouble with Trading Standards.  To my mind the mushrooms were tinned sliced mushrooms, deep-fried and there was no sauce, let alone the creamy variety to be seen.  The toast was medium sliced at the best.  They had not been seasoned so it was a case of pepper and salt yourself.

The "bacon and egg batch", for yours truly, also did not meet up with expectations!  The bap (as I prefer to call it) was devoid of any spread such as margarine or butter.  The bacon was well cooked which suited me fine.   However, the egg was "out of this World", or should have been sent into outer space never to descend on this Earth again!  It was round, having been cooked in an egg ring, and apart from being over cooked with no runny yolk, was discoloured on both sides from being cooked in a dirty pan.

The mushrooms were £1.99 and the bap  just under £3.00, total bill a smidgen under £10.00.

The whole menu seemed to revolve around Burgers, eggs, bacon, beans, chips, black pudding with a couple of other items such as lasagne etc.    I don' think you will ever see any normal vegetables or boiled potatoes in the place.    Their business will have to rely on car trade as there is no room for truckers in the reasonably sized car park, and I believe the quality and value will have to be adjusted to suit a more discerning clientèle.

My summary - just another GREASY SPOON and under average, even after having been open for a few weeks.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1582 on: July 02, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »
While Yorkie was slumming it in Llanddulas I was living it up in Llandudno!
 ;D

Offline Linda

« Reply #1583 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »
Before I start let me just say that what I have to say is based on my experience and the opinions of 'er indoors and me.

Visited Oinky's today shortly after mid-day to partake of some light refreshment to satisfy our lunch-time craving.

As one enters this vast hanger like building one realises that it is more of a "truck stop" than a cafe for the more discerning person.  It is stark, lacks atmosphere and the dark decoration and furniture does little to enhance the ambience (if there is any) of the place.  When we entered there were 4 people at one of the low tables presumably just having a drink and 3 others sat at the plastic topped tables.   The tables and chairs were a mixture of fixed seating and pseudo leather and chrome chairs.  The plastic tables were a mixture of colours and the whole interior must have been designed by someone who was colour blind and devoid of any flair for co-ordination.

Enough of that, now down to the reason for our visit.

We ordered (at the counter, no table service), 1 cappuccino, 1 latte, 1 bacon and egg bap and mushrooms on toast.

The first things placed on the table were 2 plastic tea spoons,  a few sachets of brown sugar, and a   caramelised biscuit enclosed in its foil wrapper.   Then came is pretty pink perforated vase thing with knives and forks wrapped in cheap paper serviettes, and a Heinz condiment holder containing brown sauce, tomato ketchup, salt and pepper.   As our drinks were served we were advised that as everything was "local" produce and freshly cooked there would be a short delay. (This statement about everything being Local needs confirmation!)

The Cappuccino lacked any element of the standard froth and the Latte was just milk with a shot of coffee all mixed together, whereas I like my shot "floated" on the milk.  However it was hot and satisfied the palate, although at £2.50 and £2.35 respectively were overpriced for what was served.

The "freshly cooked mushrooms in a creamy sauce on 2 slices of thick toast" could land them in deep trouble with Trading Standards.  To my mind the mushrooms were tinned sliced mushrooms, deep-fried and there was no sauce, let alone the creamy variety to be seen.  The toast was medium sliced at the best.  They had not been seasoned so it was a case of pepper and salt yourself.

The "bacon and egg batch", for yours truly, also did not meet up with expectations!  The bap (as I prefer to call it) was devoid of any spread such as margarine or butter.  The bacon was well cooked which suited me fine.   However, the egg was "out of this World", or should have been sent into outer space never to descend on this Earth again!  It was round, having been cooked in an egg ring, and apart from being over cooked with no runny yolk, was discoloured on both sides from being cooked in a dirty pan.

The mushrooms were £1.99 and the bap  just under £3.00, total bill a smidgen under £10.00.

The whole menu seemed to revolve around Burgers, eggs, bacon, beans, chips, black pudding with a couple of other items such as lasagne etc.    I don' think you will ever see any normal vegetables or boiled potatoes in the place.    Their business will have to rely on car trade as there is no room for truckers in the reasonably sized car park, and I believe the quality and value will have to be adjusted to suit a more discerning clientèle.

My summary - just another GREASY SPOON and under average, even after having been open for a few weeks.
Well that says it all, prob one place we wont visit in a hurry then. It wasnt too bad when it was the 55 diner as I recall but then only ever had a cuppa there. They need to up their game then as there are quite a few good breakfast places.  &shake&

Offline Linda

« Reply #1584 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »
While Yorkie was slumming it in Llanddulas I was living it up in Llandudno!
 ;D
That looks like an Asda special kids meal lol. Taken my grandson in there and had one too  :)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1585 on: July 03, 2013, 07:38:37 am »
One thing I forgot to mention was the staff.  There appeared to be 3 men involved in the Kitchen, 2 men behind the counter and 2 ladies serving.   So lack of staff was not an excuse!   :D

A worker was surveying the trees and brushwood between the cafe and the A55 and another was fitting a new lock to one of the doors.   :o
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1586 on: July 03, 2013, 08:10:04 am »
Good review, Yorkie! No excuse for not having Table Service, really, if they had that many staff.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1587 on: July 03, 2013, 08:10:27 am »
Work has started on the former Merrymoon shop to convert it into a cafe.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1588 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:18 am »
The whole menu seemed to revolve around Burgers, eggs, bacon, beans, chips, black pudding with a couple of other items such as lasagne etc.    I don' think you will ever see any normal vegetables or boiled potatoes in the place.

There's some pictures of their food on their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/OinkysDiner.  Certainly looks like a place to go for a bit of stodge.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian48

« Reply #1589 on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:57 am »
Work has started on the former Merrymoon shop to convert it into a cafe.

Is it going to be a chain or an independent?