Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015405 times)

Offline Linda

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1260 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:53 pm »
Anyone been in Afon Conwy recently.  I was surprised they had removed the soft play and climbing frames and filled the area with more
tables, when I asked the waiter that served us ,he said they needed more covers. Fare enough! although  in the past we have taken our grandchildren as after their meal they have played in the play area and we have all been able to eat a meal in peace. The food is quick and easy if your hungry, and when they had the playcentre if you had kids with you you overlooked the fact that the menu could be better.
Having said that on Friday we went for the chip shop buffet as was recommended by a friend, it was all ok and fish was really nice. Just noted though the place was nearly empty when we arrived at 7.30. I have never walked in straight to a table before, always had to wait.
I don't know where everyone was as Friday has been a busy night . I did like the fact we were hungry and got food right away but something wasn't right. If they wanted to go more upmarket ok! fine but the food was all the same, not even up to the standards of good pub food.
Does anyone else feel that Afon Conwy haven't done themselves any favours by removing the Playcentre. ?{}?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:29 am »
. . . . . . .needed more covers. Fare enough! although  in the past we . . . . . .

Now was that a minor spelling error. or a clever pun?   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #1262 on: March 20, 2013, 10:51:19 am »
 Spelling error whoops! I cant take the credit for a pun . I blame the spell check  ;D

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1263 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »
Department stores can be sorry places to eat these days but I have always been fond of having a good lunch while out shopping. I have good memories of my great aunt taking me to Browns of Chester years ago for a real treat.
Most these days are self service but here are two of my favourites which still cook the food to order with the kitchens visible and best of all waiter/ waitress service.
The first two photos are Aubaine in Selfridges in Manchester.
It has a great view and was originally the M&S coffee shop in the brand new store that they built after the bomb. Later on they sold the back half of the store to Selfridges which it still is.
The third photo is The Kitchen at John Lewis, Cheadle Royal. The food is excellent and on some of the dishes you can choose between a small or larger portion which I like. The service is good and you can see the chefs cooking your meal.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1264 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50:37 pm »
If you want a memory of times past---- I can remember being taken to Kendal Milnes in Manchester whilst shopping with my Mother. As we ate mannequins paraded between the tables showing dresses which were obtainable in the store.
My treat was their sherry trifle served in a noisy silver dish! OMG I feel like a dinosaur. !! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1265 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »
What about this chinese at 43 Mostyn ave DaveR,what do we know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1266 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »
What about this chinese at 43 Mostyn ave DaveR,what do we know.
In the old Fortes factory? It has consent for restaurant use but rent is pretty steep, £26k a year. What's happened to the Chinese that was supposed to be going into the Washington?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1267 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:43 pm »
Seems a waste,but nice if we get a nice chinese in c-y-d

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #1268 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »
FU,S Restaurant   Bar    Victoria Docks Caernafon  LL 55  ITH                                                                 this is the new owner of the washington. the name FU  rang some bells i remember the      namein one of the local papers when the wash shut down  Romanjohn

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2013, 07:20:11 am »
Had a meal in the re-furbished Cottage Loaf ,very nice,i think they have gone for the Pen-y-Bryn look.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1270 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »
                 I had to go to Conwy this morning and I remembered the commendations from Hugo, Fester and Hollins for the Archway Chippy. As it was getting near lunchtime Mrs. Gwynant and I had the (Pensioner's) Special, Cod and chips, mushy peas and tea and bread and butter for £6.75p each and we can both thoroughly recommend it! As Hollins said, the place was spotless, the food excellent and the service and toilet facilities first class. I have passed the place many times in the past without knowing that it was there, but it will be hard to do so in the future!    $thanx$
                 Couple of cracking jokes this morning,Ian.
                                                                                    $good$                                                               

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1271 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:03 pm »
:-))))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1272 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:50 am »
Saw some scaffolders out side thee Washington,i think they where about to put something up,of course it could just be some eccental work like a hole in the roof or something but it would be nice to think it was progress on the eyesore.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1273 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:24 am »
The Wash is starting to look very tatty now. Still think it's far too large for a Chinese Restaurant.

Lots of work going on at the old Fortes ice cream factory in Craig y Don now.  ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1274 on: March 28, 2013, 12:12:22 am »
I used to go to a Chinese Restaurant, as big if not bigger than The Washington building.

It had a stage for entertaining, (usually Karaoke).... and it was very busy for many years.
Never was it possible to get a table on a weekend.

Then.... after about 12 years... it inexplicably closed down.
I suspected Triads!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -