Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015348 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:40 pm »
The signs have been put up on the new William Glover gift shop which is opening opposite their cuurent shop in the old Wonderllandudno shop
Their furniture shop is up for sale.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »
 :(Nobody listens to me :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2011, 08:58:29 pm »
We do, Wrex!  ;D  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »
:(Nobody listens to me :'(

Sorry - didyou say something?    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »
 :D Yorkie,i said the town council does a excellent job for the town,they listen to all our complaints and suggestions and then act on them just why we voted for them to do for us.Now pick yourself up off the floor and ring one of them just to see if they have got a clue what is going on in town and see why exactly they are sitting on the council. WWW

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2011, 07:55:05 am »
Hi Wrex - Just for the record I am in virtual constant contact with the Council.  It has just taken over 2 months to get some information from them under the FOI Act.    I also have an ongoing problem which I hope the Ombudsman will be able to solve.   As an ex Councillor I am fully aware of what goes on behind the solid closed doors of the Council Chamber.  Even Judith has stopped reporting on their antics!    L0L

I think the booze bill for the Mayor's Parlour has gone up significantly since our my day!      ZXZ   ZXZ   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2011, 07:55:45 pm »
The old Alworths/Woolworths store with its new Poundstretcher signage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »
The old Wonderllandudno shop at No.1 Mostyn Street has now got its WG & Co. sign up. As already mentioned, it is an offshoot of the William Glover shop on Vaughan Street:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »
I'm told that Home Cooking have not bought Cafe 101 but it is the original owners returning?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »
I understood that it was Paul Blanchard and that came from the horses mouth (Pedro)!   Who cares anyway?   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:53 am »
In the past I have found it a pleasure to praise the quality of goods sold by ALDI but recently I have found their "fresh" vegetables more like what one would expect to be tossed out and given to the Zoo.
Cabbage tops on display with numerous yellow leaves, courgettes already showing decay, "Jersey" potatoes with scab, cucumbers going bad at the tips, yellowing cauliflowers and other such awful stuff.   I am very surprised as the Germans (in Germany), have always impressed me with their attitude towards food quality.    I'll have to stick to the tinned and packaged stuff in future.     :rage:
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2011, 11:02:36 am »
So will there be two now then, isn't the one up the road a poundstretcher?
I assume the old one will be closing.

I was wondering that myself.

My OH was told this morning by someone who works there that both are to remain open.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »
Following on from the discussions about the state of the shopping in Llandudno, here are my own views.These are purely personal comments on what I like to shop for when I am on holiday or a day out somewhere but what I think is lacking in this area.
When I am away I like to look for things which have been made locally and which remind you how you have enjoyed a place.
This also means that if I find something I like I will want to go back to that shop and the place to look for something else another time.
I would like to see a shop in LLandudno that sold locally made goods including paintings, photographs, cards, ceramics, textiles, jewelry etc.
It would also be good to be able to buy locally made food stuffs in the same place.

What about a cooperative department style shop that could incorporate all things local and that could be manned in turn by each of the producers?
There is a cooperative shop in Conwy that sells items from various  potters but I think that is exclusively pottery.
I know there is the Mostyn Gallery but to me it doesn’t seem to have individual enough goods for sale. I do not know how much they actually sell there.
A combination of new and old goods would be of interest. Somewhere for example that you could buy vintage welsh quilts along side new ones.
Vintage shops are much in vogue at the moment. I was recently in Cardiff in the Royal Arcade where there is an excellent mix of vintage and new shops. including Melin Tregwynt.
Other favourites of mine are,
Ruthin Craft Centre: This shop sells wonderful inspiring things but there are not many everyday purchases to be had there. They  sell special things you need to save up for.
White Lion Street Gallery Tenby : where they only sell cards made by the artists that they feature in the shop.
Oriel -Y - Felin St. Davids:
Roundhouse Gallery: Sennen Cove

These are all places that I have bought things and that I look forward to going back to.

There are always small interesting shops in small seaside villages but as soon as you get to a bigger town the shops become less interesting and the goods more mass produced and also produced abroad.
I presume, but I do not know, that this is due to higher rents.

Llandudno  has lots of shops that sell cheap mass produced things. What about some more expensive but more worthwhile locally made goods for sale?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:38 pm »
I agree with you on those points Hollins, If away anywhere I tend to make a bee-line for 'different' shops to buy presents to put away for Christmas etc for family and friends. eg if we ever go to Moelfre there is a super gift shop there which sells unusual bits and pieces. Same in Ludlow where we have just been for a day or two. There there are some lovely little shops which sell quality goods, an excellent cheese shop and the plant stalls on the market are fantastic. We always have a cake from the old fashioned cake shop there and thouroughly enjoy the hustle and bustle of locals and tourists alike.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
I agree about the vintage shops Hollins, there is lovely one in Rhewl just outside Ruthin called Homewood Bound selling refurbished furniture and kitchenalia, they also sell Cath Kidston and Emma Bridgewater goods, we were in there today, I'll need to save up to buy something from there next time I visit.

Listers in Llandudno is a nice shop and fairly affordable. The upper Mostyn street area is the best in town for the more unusual shops, surely a good area for market stalls!

I like to hunt for bargains though, and today was delighted to find a  green Lloyd Loom bedside cabinet for a fiver in  a new secondhand shop in Denbigh called Dragon Exchange.