Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015171 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3765 on: July 18, 2019, 04:33:52 pm »
Fresh plans for Conwy Valley pub have been revealed
The Red Lion in Ty'n-y-Groes closed in 2014 and has been on the market since then.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/fresh-plans-conwy-valley-pub-16607998

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3766 on: July 26, 2019, 09:38:28 am »
I see L’s Coffee & Bookshop (Conwy) have been voted Cafe of the year (North)  in the National Welsh Cafe awards... https://www.lscoffee.co.uk/l-s-coffee-books-conwy.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3767 on: July 26, 2019, 09:53:56 am »
Well, it certainly wasn't for the quality of their website:

"Here in L’s Coffee & Bookshop we are in a prime location, located halfway up the left hand side of the high street. Here you will discover a wonderful array of delicious mouth watering foods fit for a king and L’s Coffee and Co carries on in that tradition today. A tradition that means L’s is the sort of place that even Royalty would feel at home.

Whether your coming in for a coffee on the go, breakfast on the run, lunch with the family, or just an afternoon tea with your friends, L’s has a great menu of food and drink to tempt you back at anytime of the day. Children and dogs are always welcome here and with free doggie treats and plenty of water, we’ll look after your four legged friend just as well as we would look after you.

We also have plenty of room for buggies outside as our Conwy shop, has a purpose built an tea garden to the rear, which allows you to while away the hours chatting and drinking coffee after lunch."

Wonder why places pay for a website and don't bother getting anyone to check the English?  I'd do it for nothing, but people seem to assume they know all about how to write.  What I find very odd is that the same people would almost always ask for help with their accounts. First impressions count - and what a badly written web page does for me is put me off ever going there. If they can't get a simple thing like the website well written, what hope is there for anything else?

It's a bit like that appalling travesty in the Victoria Centre: the shop in the NW corner with the enormous sign: "You know Who's".  Unbelievable.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3768 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18:48 am »
Schweppes ?   

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3769 on: August 02, 2019, 02:39:24 pm »
I have been past the Marmalade Cafe in Rhos Road  Rhos on Sea many times and it has always been busy so that is a good sign.    I've never been in it before but today due to a change of circumstances in our day out Mrs H took me for lunch there.
We had the meal inside the cafe and the outside is deceptive because the cafe is quite big inside it and it has a very tempting menu
We both chose the Panini with Tuna melt and sweet chilli and it was very tasty indeed.    We'll be back there again soon but can understand why it is always busy.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3770 on: August 02, 2019, 04:04:57 pm »
Pleased to hear you & Mrs H had a nice meal at The Marmalade Cafe Hugo, it's one of our favourite daytime places to eat. They will be opening the cafe at the new Archive in Conwy in Autumn, so with all the frequent visits you make to the Archive, you can kill two birds with one stone & eat there as well. They also make delicious cakes too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3771 on: August 02, 2019, 04:26:52 pm »
Thanks for the info about the Archives Meleri,  I'll probably spend more time in the cafe than in the Archives.      ;D

Mrs H went to the Marmalade Cafe for the first time recently and that's why we went there today.   Apart from such a good menu I couldn't take my eyes off all those cakes there, they looked absolutely delicious.       $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3772 on: August 02, 2019, 05:30:30 pm »
I like the sound of the Marmalade, will give it a go soon......

Owners of Conwy's best-loved Italian to sell up after 30 years
Popular family-run Alfredo has been put on the market, and is likely to remain a restaurant.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/owners-conwys-best-loved-italian-16687237

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3773 on: August 04, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »
It might still be a restaurant in future, but it won’t be Alfredo’s.... and that’s a disaster.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #3774 on: August 05, 2019, 01:18:21 pm »
...meanwhile the Bird scarer kite appears to be working at West Shore Beach Café

LINK

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3775 on: August 05, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »
Thanks for posting the link on the West Shore, it certainly seems very windy there today   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3776 on: August 19, 2019, 10:16:30 am »
We were in Bangor last week so we went back to the Domu Cafe/bistro in the High Street for lunch.     It has a very friendly atmosphere and the staff are really nice and the vegan/ vegetarian food is delicious.    I just wish that the place was nearer home so we could go there more often

http://domukafe.com/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3777 on: August 19, 2019, 11:50:18 am »
That kite's impressive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3778 on: August 25, 2019, 02:30:04 pm »
Ye Olde Bull Inn in Llanbedr-y-Cennin  to reopen soon.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3779 on: September 05, 2019, 02:50:56 pm »
LLANDUDNO jazz fans no longer have to wait until the summer.

The first of a new series of monthly jazz shows at the Underground Bar at Tiffany's Cafe Bar, Llandudno begins on Thursday, September 26th with the return of Danish artist Sara Oschlag.

Following the appearance from the Sara Oschlag Trio, the Llandudno Jazz events will continue with Art Themen on Thursday, October 31, Neil Yates Thursday, November 28 and Alans Barnes for a festive evening on Wednesday, December 18.

Tickets are £8.50 from ticketsource.co.uk and £10 on the door. All proceeds go to help St David's Hospice.

This exciting new venture features some of the finest jazz talent the UK has to offer, with all net profits will go to St David's Hospice via the late founder of the Llandudno Jazz Festival Ed Burke's three brothers Tom, John, Henry.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17883457.llandudno-jazz-welcomes-sara-oschlag-art-themen-monthly-series/