Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1025949 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3810 on: January 15, 2020, 05:14:08 pm »
It was cold when we got out of the car on Colwyn Bay Promenade but at least we had a warm welcome when we walked into The Toad.
A chicken stir fry and then a nice cappuccino went down very well on this cold afternoon    $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3811 on: January 18, 2020, 05:45:05 pm »
We've visited the Thaitastic Restaurant (situated on the first floor in the old Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant on Mostyn Street) a few times since it opened. Food is fantastic, the Thai Green Curry is perfect.  It's closed now till the end of January but well worth a visit when it reopens. $hands$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3812 on: January 19, 2020, 10:39:28 am »
Thanks for posting that Dave as I had no idea that there was a Thai restaurant in the area        $good$

We used to go to the Thai in Deganwy and the food was delicious there but then it closed so we'll have to give the Llandudno one a try as soon as we can

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3813 on: January 19, 2020, 05:31:16 pm »
Hugo, there is another Thai restaurant in Gloddaeth Street where Poyntons the butchers used to be.  $dins$

There has also been yet another for a while at Lyndale Hotel in Old Colwyn on the main road opposite the old Queens Hotel.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #3814 on: January 19, 2020, 05:33:09 pm »
ThaiTastic has a hygiene rating of 1 unfortunately, in fairness it was about the time it opened.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3815 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:02 pm »
Hugo, there is another Thai restaurant in Gloddaeth Street where Poyntons the butchers used to be.  $dins$

There has also been yet another for a while at Lyndale Hotel in Old Colwyn on the main road opposite the old Queens Hotel.

Thanks Bri,  I'll check the Gloddaeth Street one out but will pass on the Lyndale Hotel as I had heard about it before

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3816 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:52 pm »
A shame to see that Providero Limited is in administration with significant debts. The business appears to have been taken over by Mostyn Estates/Peter Ormerod.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3817 on: January 23, 2020, 04:48:45 pm »
A shame to see that Providero Limited is in administration with significant debts. The business appears to have been taken over by Mostyn Estates/Peter Ormerod.
Second time his name has come up this week............

Quote from: Meleri on January 13, 2020, 03:32:54 PM
Just thought I would have a look at how the application for the new Coop on the old Billingtons Garage site was going, but it appears to have disappeared. The application 0/46933 registered 23/12/2019 isn't now on the CCBC Planning portal, does anyone know if it has been withdrawn?

A DP story this morning has some interesting news.............. "The application for the new store has been submitted by the Llandudno Investment Partnership, which is a collaboration between Mostyn Estates and local businessman Peter Ormerod."
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-co-op-conwy-could-17533546

Online SteveH

« Reply #3818 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:18 am »

Providero cafes and brand saved by investors as company goes into liquidation
The sale has secured jobs at the popular coffee shops in Llandudno and Llandudno Junction.

This has now seen the assets sold to investors - including Edward Hiller at Mostyn Estates - which has secured the future of the cafes and the jobs of all the staff.

The original company has now gone into liquidation with insolvency practitioners Parkin S Booth handling the affairs. A statement has shown creditors are owed just over £200,000 - mainly to private investors.      more https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/providero-cafes-brand-saved-investors-17625443

Online SteveH

« Reply #3819 on: February 01, 2020, 10:16:17 am »
Some unexpected names.

The 12 Conwy businesses with a one star food hygiene rating
These ratings are accurate as of January 30, 2020

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/conwy-businesses-one-star-food-17666539

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3820 on: February 01, 2020, 10:27:35 am »
Interesting to see Dave's favourite - the  Thai Tastic - on the list.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3821 on: February 01, 2020, 11:08:05 am »
Bit of a shocker seeing Nikki Ips Deganwy  :-\

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3822 on: February 01, 2020, 12:32:55 pm »
I've not been to Nikki Ips for years but always enjoyed the meals that I've had there but I'm going to wait a bit longer before I go to Dave's  Thai Tastic  restaurant.     It's a shame because I have enjoyed Thai food in the past

Online SteveH

« Reply #3823 on: February 01, 2020, 01:17:18 pm »
Bit of a shocker seeing Nikki Ips Deganwy  :-\

I was surprised too, but I remembered seeing this story last December, unfortunately true or not, it will still, affect their business, ....no smoke without fire.

"Renowned Nikki Ip's restaurant drops to one hygiene rating - and reveals just how it happened
The well-known Chinese restaurant in Deganwy has won numerous awards and attracted widespread acclaim.

Manager Stefan Kingdom said the rating dropped after the inspectors discovered no hot water was available during their visit.

"Unfortunately, during the day of their visit, we discovered our gas boiler was leaking," he said.
"The gas engineer came and, when he went away to get parts, unbeknown to us he'd turned the boiler off.

"Unfortunately, when the inspectors tried to wash their hands, they noticed there was no hot water.

"I told them about the boiler, and they said as there was no hot water the restaurant should have been closed down."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/renowned-nikki-ips-restaurant-drops-17330863

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3824 on: February 01, 2020, 03:22:39 pm »
This is what depresses me about the entire concept of the hygiene ratings. It's not the first instance I( know of where a single issue has been he cause of a downgrade. And hot water isn't actually necessary for washing hands.  It's certainly more convenient but a good quality soap and cold water will get hands just as clean. bacteriologically speaking. The dishwasher would have its own internal hot supply.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.