Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015285 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3750 on: June 08, 2019, 01:52:41 pm »
Rumour has it the owner of the Tal-y-Cafn couldn't make it work & it has gone into liquidation owing over a million. Yet another rumour is that the people who own The Toad are taking it on & are opening next month. We will have to wait & see what happens in the hope this time service is better, portions are larger & prices a lot lower.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3751 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:04 pm »
I have also heard that new owners are taking over.  It may just be the times I called but it always seemed to be closed until mid-day during the week.  If it had looked open, even for coffee, it might have attracted more trade.  I hope the new people are more commercially savvy and make a success of the place which is a good location.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3752 on: June 08, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »
You are right there Cambrian, they have done the place up nicely and it's in a very handy and beautiful location being so near to the river so it would be an ideal place for having just coffee or a lite bite.
When we go up the Conwy Valley we often used to stop at Plas Maenan just for a coffee and just sit outside when the weather was good

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3753 on: June 10, 2019, 11:25:51 am »
Rumour has it the owner of the Tal-y-Cafn couldn't make it work & it has gone into liquidation owing over a million. Yet another rumour is that the people who own The Toad are taking it on & are opening next month. We will have to wait & see what happens in the hope this time service is better, portions are larger & prices a lot lower.

Your rumour appears to be correct, and I am sure Hugo will be happy, I know he enjoys eating at The Toad, so good news all round.

Pub boss takes on Tal-y-Cafn with plans for revamp
The owner of The Toad in Rhos-on-Sea has signed a lease at the Conwy Valley pub.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/pub-boss-takes-tal-y-16405349

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3754 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »
That's good news Steve     $good$

I believe that the owner of the Toad also has the Manor in Conwy.   I haven't been there yet but hope to do so soon.

https://www.themanorconwy.co.uk/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3755 on: July 07, 2019, 09:48:20 am »
Further to this post............Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways,         « Reply #3719 on: January 22, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »                                                                                                   

Plans for 20 new flats in the centre of Llandudno are set to be shot down next week.

Members of Conwy’s planning committee meeting on Wednesday will discuss an application convert the old Neville Hotel site into flats.
This application relates to the site on a corner position at the junction of
Augusta Street, Vaughan Street and Oxford Road in Llandudno, opposite the train station.
It seeks planning permission to turn the public house into flats and to build  building to form 20 apartments and associated works on its car park.  Cont.... https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17754408.flood-risk-lack-parking-flagged-concerns-llandudno-flats-plan/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3756 on: July 11, 2019, 09:51:16 am »
Re above.....   Former pub conversion into flats given go ahead against advice
Councillors approved the plans for the Nevill in Llandudno, despite officers recommending it should be refused.

“Everybody knows that large public houses are no longer viable, something has to be done with this site.

“The land next to it has been a mess all of my life. Are we abandoning Llandudno? We expect the hotels on the front to invest, we’re building a new Premier Inn, we’vew got a new police station, all of those would be flooded long before the Nevill."

“We either continue to invest in Llandudno or we write it off and we’re not ready to write it off, it’s the premier resort of Wales."
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-nevill-planning-flats-16564813

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3757 on: July 13, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
Tal-y-Cafn's new boss says he will 'grab opportunity' to return pub to its glory days
The Conwy Valley pub has reopened after a revamp of the site.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/tal-y-cafns-new-boss-16540867

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3758 on: July 17, 2019, 05:26:03 pm »
We had a meal at Signatures today, a wedding anniversary celebration (35 years...).  For those who haven't heard of or tried the place I have to say Signatures stands head and shoulders above the local eateries. 

It has a lot going for it, including ample free parking next to the restaurant, easy to reach (first exit after the Conwy Tunnel driving West) and, most importantly, great food.

Really excellent eating places are thin on the ground. We've eaten at Gordon Ramsey's, the three Michelin starred Royal Monceux in Paris, the St Pancras in London and our most recent discovery - the York Marriott. What's special about all those is that they make apparently simple food taste very, very different.

Dave R recommended Signatures and we've never looked back. It's on a caravan site, which can make some people raise an eyebrow, but the food is outstanding.  Best of all they have their own 'club' which is free to join and offers discounts when dining.

But for a great meal I don't know of anywhere as good and certainly nowhere better.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3759 on: July 17, 2019, 05:38:15 pm »
Best wishes and congratulations to you both on your anniversary................    clappinghappy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3760 on: July 17, 2019, 06:51:36 pm »
Congratulations and best wishes to you both and you couldn't have picked a finer place to celebrate the occasion.      I had my 70th birthday there and they couldn't do enough to make the day go well
In your words "It may be on a caravan site, which can make some people raise an eyebrow"  but some of those " caravans"  cost over £300 K  so you are looking at something quite exclusive
I hope that you are a member of Signature like we are because you can get some very nice offers when you are a member

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3761 on: July 17, 2019, 07:07:06 pm »
Thank you, both, and we are indeed members.  Had a long chat with Jimmy himself, today, as it was quiet, and talking to him it's very clear why the place is as good as it is.

The caravans are indeed pricey, and one owner leaves his Bentley on site while he works in London, then comes back for weekends, eats at Signatures and retires to his luxury mobile home.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3762 on: July 17, 2019, 07:18:08 pm »
Very nice for some and I must admit that wouldn't mind a caravan on the site as it has everything and is in a lovely location.

Just as an add on here, I did some research into a Williams family some time ago and was able to unite her with the current Williams family and Geoff Williams was an old friend of mine from our teenage years,    We all met at St Tudno's Church and Geoff told me that Jimmy was his older brother.      My favourite restaurant by a mile

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3763 on: July 17, 2019, 10:30:24 pm »
Signatures is indeed excellent, and unbeatable in this area.
Important to point out that they also offer 20% off your entire bill, including drinks, on a Wednesday. That’s a Facebook offer.
Watsons Bistro in Conwy is not far behind signatures in terms of quality also.

Deganwy Quay Hotel on the other hand is just terrible.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3764 on: July 18, 2019, 08:35:44 am »
That's why we like going on a Wednesday :-)  Jimmy was saying Wednesdays are often slow at lunchtime. When we went there were only around 8 other covers in use.