Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015577 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3720 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
It's a shame it's closing the Neville is a good pub, had many good times in there with Pete. Needs must I suppose its a big building the overheads must be enormous and let's be honest the pub game is not what it was. There's countless Hotels, B and Bs, Travel lodge etc so residential apartments are the best way to go. I think Petes made the best decision. Still the pub will be missed.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3721 on: January 25, 2019, 05:13:48 pm »
We went out for lunch today and it was back to Fryday's in Penrhyn Bay where we had the senior citizen special.  Cod, Chips and peas served with Homemade Tartare Sauce & Lemon Wedge, bread and butter plus a pot of tea and an ice cream.
We both chose the Parisella's Cherry and Almond ice cream
The food was delicious and the batter on the fish was the best my wife has tasted.    Apart from really great value at £7.20 the atmosphere there is very friendly and the waitresses there were excellent

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3722 on: January 26, 2019, 12:23:31 pm »
Pete from The Nevill is obtaining the permissions to build those apartments yes, but up to now he hasn’t got a developer to take it on.
Yes, he is planning to sell up and go ahead, and he’s been very open and honest with his customers and various darts and pool teams about it.
He’s spent a fortune thus far on his designs and applications, and has done a very good job of it.
However, I reckon the pub will still be there for a year or so, at least.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3723 on: January 26, 2019, 03:04:54 pm »
We had the cooked breakfast at the Olive Grove in Deganwy this morning. Not the cheapest but very good quality.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #3724 on: January 26, 2019, 03:37:45 pm »
Yes we walk along from Westshore a couple of times a week to visit The Olive tree at Deganwy

Offline dingo20

« Reply #3725 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:11 am »
Got to try Taylors cafe opposite the town hall on the corner breakfasts are brillian! Great value for money and they let dogs in sneaky walk on a Sunday morning and a belly buster breakfast mmmmmm

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3726 on: February 08, 2019, 04:34:49 pm »
Got to try Taylors cafe opposite the town hall on the corner breakfasts are brillian! Great value for money and they let dogs in sneaky walk on a Sunday morning and a belly buster breakfast mmmmmm

Any food place that lets dogs in is one to devoutly avoid I’m afraid.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3727 on: February 09, 2019, 08:45:12 am »
It's a highly contentious issue. Some owners believe they'll miss out on custom if devoted owners can't bring their dogs in, as some owners can't bear to be parted from their dogs. Others, however, feel that many folk instinctively mistrust restaurants that permit dogs inside.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dingo20

« Reply #3728 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:41 am »
Why would allowing dogs in to a cafe put you off going in?

Offline Dave

« Reply #3729 on: February 16, 2019, 11:49:35 am »
Not everyone wants to share a confined space with someone else's beloved pet that they seem to think has equal status to humans. Some dogs are well behaved, fully trained ,beautifully groomed and might well be acceptable. Some however won't be, they'll smell doggy, particularly on  a wet day, they'll shed hair which will end up who knows where and they will slobber at the sight of food and might even shake their heads and send slobber flying everywhere.
That's why it's best to just say "No dogs allowed".
On the other hand, a warning sign clearly stating dogs are allowed gives those who don't want to share their space with our canine friends the chance to look for an alternative elsewhere.
The cafe owner can decide which gives them the best business opportunities.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3730 on: February 16, 2019, 01:56:24 pm »
Correct Dave,  but there are too many Dog Friendly cafes now.
I’m going to open an openly Dog Hostile Cafe,  I think I’ll do well.
Case in point, I was in Cafe Nero yesterday with Dave R,  and the quiet looking Mutt laid at the side of the table next to me, stood up and shook itself.
The sun streaming through the window clearly exposed the cloud of dust and hairs which cascaded all around as a result.
Why should I have to inhale all that crap?
It’s incredibly unhygienic to let dogs into any place serving food and drink.
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3731 on: February 16, 2019, 03:04:40 pm »
On the other hand, a warning sign clearly stating dogs are allowed gives those who don't want to share their space with our canine friends the chance to look for an alternative elsewhere.
The cafe owner can decide which gives them the best business opportunities.

You are right Dave, when you pay good money for a meal or even just a coffee, you want to enjoy it and be comfortable in the surroundings and not be distracted by other things.
I do own a dog but I never take him with me when I am going somewhere for a meal,  that's only my choice but I can also see other peoples point of view.
I took a couple of friends out for an evening meal and the restaurant was really nice and the food was delicious and very reasonably priced but we weren't prepared for loads of screaming little kids running about the place at 9 o'clock in the evening  and being a nuisance to the other customers  who were trying to enjoy their meal.   I'm not exaggerating but it was like "Nightmare on Lloyd Street"
If only they had posted a notice on the door giving us a warning of what we could expect then we could have gone elsewhere.
It's about 10 years ago and we have never been back.     It is a nice place and I couldn't fault the food, so it is good for some but not for me and if you don't like a place for one reason or another then don't go there as there are plenty of alternatives in the area

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3732 on: February 16, 2019, 04:38:50 pm »
Kids and Dogs Hugo,  I suffered at the hands (or paws) of both of them yet again this morning.
It could only have been worse if I’d been accosted by a group of dogs, who smoke! 😂
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3733 on: February 16, 2019, 05:52:07 pm »
Kids running riot are the fault of the parents. As are badly behaved dogs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3734 on: February 16, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »
There are a lot of adults i hate sharing my coffee and a pint with lol