Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015707 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3690 on: July 03, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
Poco Coffee appears to have gone bust despite a recent merger with the Coal Shack.

* Ian, can you please rotate?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:46:18 pm by Ian »

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3691 on: July 03, 2018, 01:42:37 pm »
Time Cafe Bar Castle Street Conwy is up for sale, the owners have moved on to Plas Maenan.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3692 on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:27 pm »
I’m personally glad that the Coal Shack has gone.
Despite glossy promotional stuff and attractive prices, it was terrible when I visited recently.
Why oh why can’t places who base their business on burgers actually deliver a decent quality burger ?
I’ve seen it time and again, especially during the Extravaganza, where local businesses churn out fairground quality burgers and charge way over the odds for them.

It’s just pure greed.

Edwards of Conwy would supply them a burger that they would be proud to sell, for only a few pence more than the cheap crappy ones.
It’s just self defeating behaviour, and terrible business sense.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #3693 on: July 05, 2018, 02:23:52 am »
I don’t know how it does now as we don’t get out often that way and it’s changed hands a while back but there was a lay-by stop on the Holt road not to far from me that did a roaring trade and had an excellent local reputation. He may have done similar with other things but I know he sourced his burgers from a local butcher.   As far as I can see, it can work well even for something like a road pull in.

(Although I live with 2 non meat eaters and I am as likely to take a veg option [but not egg – shame as we  kept hens a few times but I’ll only eat egg  in cooking, eg. in a cake] myself, but parents also reckoned his omelettes were superb so maybe he used free range eggs...)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3694 on: July 06, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
Poco Coffee appears to have gone bust despite a recent merger with the Coal Shack.

The Cambridge Restaurant has also been repossessed by its landlord and this is summer !!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3695 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:20 pm »
I foresee many others going the same way Bri.
I’m hearing, and seeing for myself that the season is once again getting ever shorter,  and within that, the trading day is getting shorter.
It’s a phenomenon I mentioned 2 or 3 years ago, and it seems to be accelerating.

Some bars in Llandudno no longer open on Mondays at all..., and of those who do, most open from teatime only.
Last night we were around town, and The (new) Belmont was entirely empty, as was Gresham.
The ludicrously overpriced Snooze had about 8 tables full of customers.
Fountains had a live band on stage.... and not a soul in the bar to listen to them.
The only relatively busy bar was The Irish Bar.  He has the sun until late evening, and keeps his prices sensible.
It’s a mean old scene out there,  but quality and price will still get patronage, as evidenced by the queue outside Home Cooking, right up to closing time.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3696 on: August 05, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »
It sounds lovely, Hugo.

Although, I must confess I had to google ‘crostinies’.  :)

After having had such a delicious meal at Plas Maenan we decided to go back again for Sunday lunch.  We sat on the balcony and had drinks as we did before and the waiter brought the menu to us to select our meal.  There was no set menu for Sunday lunch so I went inside to see if there was another menu but was told that there wasn't another menu as some guests had said that it was too hot for a three course meal so the set menu was withdrawn but will be reinstated in September!
Other guests had also been looking forward to the set course but unlike us they decided to have a drink and  go without ordering any food.   With no roast beef on the menu we ordered something else but it'll be a while before we venture back again because of other things that happened today

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3697 on: August 05, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »
How disappointing, Hugo?

I hope you suggested they amend their website for Sunday Lunch 12-5pm.

http://www.plas-maenan-hotel.co.uk/dining.php

http://www.plas-maenan-hotel.co.uk/dining-sunday-lunch.php

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3698 on: August 05, 2018, 10:21:02 pm »
It was disappointing Bri, especially after our last visit there.     I just hope that our experience today was just a blip as the place has so much potential.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3699 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »
Plans are in for a new micro-pub.
Dave Guinn opened his first small drinking spot in the town last October with the launch of TAPPS on Madoc Street.
This has proved a major success with drinkers which has encouraged Mr Guinn to propose opening a second site.

He wants to convert a former osteopathy premises in Craig-y-Don into a bar - called The Ascot Taproom,A planning application has been submitted to Conwy council
 “We feel this will offer Craig-y-Doin something new, which is presently lacking, we wish it to be an enjoyable venue for all ages to enjoy local products.”    REF DP

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #3700 on: September 26, 2018, 04:24:49 am »
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere (I looked but couldn't see it), but this is what the owners plan to do with the West Shore Beach Cafe, if they can get the permission.

As I'm always complaining about irresponsible developments, I'm glad to say that I think this would make a very nice addition to the area, improving upon the current structure, and surroundings greatly. A selfish part of me actually really likes the underdevelopment of the West Shore, not wanting it to get too popular! But they've obviously put a lot of heart and soul into the project, and unlike some I could mention, they seem to have excellent taste, and a design that really does look like it will drastically improve upon the current structure.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3701 on: September 26, 2018, 07:37:26 am »
Thanks for posting that design Edith, it looks good and I hope that the owners can get the go ahead.     With the West Shore you will never get it developed while they still have the sand problem that has been created by the Council but luckily for the cafe it is not in the area that has been adversely affected by the sand.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3702 on: September 26, 2018, 09:19:58 am »
Now let's see what happens here with our council 🤔 Sitting outside there watching the sunsets  food and a glass of wine 🌞 No better place.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #3703 on: September 28, 2018, 08:15:34 am »
I think the plans are amazing , this of course is rented off the Council.
In the case for transparency I hope the council know what they are doing with a fair lease and a fair rent, it works both ways.
Why in any case does the council keep hold of such assets?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3704 on: September 28, 2018, 05:54:23 pm »
A North Wales restaurant has been given an award from the world's most famous food guide.

Every year the Michelin Guide celebrates restaurants all across the country with Bib Gourmand awards.
Named after Bibendum - the Michelin Man - the award highlights establishments which offer " good quality, good value cooking ".The 2019 awards bring 27 new restaurants to the foodies' bible which now includes a total of 143 - including one from North Wales for the first time ever.
The restaurant is none other than Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias, Colwyn Bay - described as a "striking beachside brasserie" by Michelin.   ref DP

See what happens when you marry a Glasgow girl...........  ;)