Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016230 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3600 on: October 09, 2017, 09:07:06 am »
We went to the LC Drink & Dine (the London pub in old money) in Upper Mostyn Street for Sunday lunch yesterday. £9 for the standard meal, choice of beef, turkey or lamb, plus all the usual trimmings. Very good quality and great value for the price.  $good$  $good$

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190724-d12688740-Reviews-The_LC_Drink_Dine-Llandudno_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3601 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:27 am »
I'll have to try out the LC soon.

I popped into the Cross Keys in Llandudno for a drink on Saturday night. What can I say? They've laminated the floor, given it a lick of paint and put some more TVs in. Unfortunately there was still karaoke and no one seemed to care for the sports on the tellies. Very poor beer selection (mostly lagers) with just one hand pull (Doom Bar) which, on the positive side, only cost £2.

Not sure I'll be rushing back unless it's to watch the footy.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3602 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:30 am »
That is amazingly reasonable for a pint of Doom Bar. My only worry would be that I can't see the regular clientele drinking too many doom bars and it's likely to be sitting there for a long time.

I also saw they are doing free pool, free jukebox and having a live band every Friday night.

It's nice to see a pub, for a change, aiming for the local market rather than the 'golden calf' tourist ploy.

I hope they are succesful  Z**

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3603 on: October 10, 2017, 12:11:21 pm »

It's nice to see a pub, for a change, aiming for the local market rather than the 'golden calf' tourist ploy.

I'm interested in your thoughts as to how a pub aims for the 'local market rather than the 'golden calf' ploy', surely a good pub has decent beer, is clean and welcoming to all, visitors and locals alike regardless of demographics of the clientele? Certainly, some pubs because of their location are more inclined to have either more visitors or locals as a customer base, but surely the basics are the same?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3604 on: October 10, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
Price. I don't know about you but if I'm holiday I'll happily spend between 50 and a 100 pound on a good meal and some drinks in a pub. However If I'm going to my local pub 3 or 4 times a week to play pool/darts, watch football, listen to a band etc I don't want to be paying £4 plus a pint and lord knows how much for spirits/soft drinks etc.

Also a 'local' pub has regulars and its own characters, feel and atmosphere. A revolving door 'tourist' pub is never going to have those things.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3605 on: October 10, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Good points, and hard to disagree with the logic.

Have you read any of Pete Brown's books or writings?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3606 on: October 10, 2017, 12:38:37 pm »
I have one of his books - one man walks into a pub, in my bookcase but haven't got around to reading it yet.
I like Bill Bryson and Tim Moore so hoping I will enjoy this book as well.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3607 on: October 10, 2017, 01:16:33 pm »
Pete Brown is actually regarded as the 'Bill Bryson of beer' and his book 'Hops and Glory' is excellent, as is 'Three Sheets to the Wind'. 'Shakespear's Local' is leaning to the 'heavy' side, and probably more interesting if you're a Londoner.

'A Man Walks into a Pub' is possibly his best work.

Here's a question for you: Would the Albion in Conwy be so successful if it were on Mostyn Street? If not, why not? And, if it would be, why hasn't anyone done it?

(I do have my own theory about this...)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3608 on: October 10, 2017, 01:27:26 pm »
It's a good question. I dare say their biggest stumbling block would be Wetherspoons - both have no music and a good selection of beer. The Albion doesn't do food and for local drinking pubs in Llandudno you actually have a lot of competition compared to Conwy - i.e the Cross Keys, The Neville and The Kings Arms in spitting distance as well as the Snowdon not fair away. You also have three social clubs competing for local patronage.

I would edge towards the fence and say it would be a risky proposition.

What's your theory?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3609 on: October 10, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
I have watched the success that is the Albion over the past few years, and the refurbishment of most of Conwy pubs - not to mention the opening of a new one, The Bank, at a time when many pubs are closing. I have given the matter due consideration and several moments thought as to the difference between Conwy and Llandudno and my conclusion is the same as yours - price - but from a different angle. The local trade from the relatively affluent rural and semi-rural Conwy area are not so price oriented as 'ambience' oriented; they want a pleasant pub experience, not simply the cheapest. Plus, the average visitor to medieval Conwy is possibly rather different to the average Llandudno visitor, a walker, hiker, history buff or someone who appreciates the 'quaintness', and is prepared to pay for it. Many tourists are foreign and find the prices acceptable. They are, like you and I on holiday, prepared to pay for the nicities in life and the Albion is a bit like a working museum, a feeling of nostalgia for the wood floored pubs of 'Olde'. The boat owners from the marina are another source, and you don't own a boat and berth it in Conwy marina if you are in any way price concious. All of which differ from Llandudno, whose resident population and visitors are possibly far more price conscious, shall we say, and look at price first and quality second; ambience perhaps not of the importance that it possibly is to Conwy clientele. 

So, in all, we agree, sadly, the Albion business model might not work in Llandudno.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3610 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »
I'll have to try out the LC soon.

I popped into the Cross Keys in Llandudno for a drink on Saturday night. What can I say? They've laminated the floor, given it a lick of paint and put some more TVs in. Unfortunately there was still karaoke and no one seemed to care for the sports on the tellies. Very poor beer selection (mostly lagers) with just one hand pull (Doom Bar) which, on the positive side, only cost £2.

Not sure I'll be rushing back unless it's to watch the footy.

I did warn you about this.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3611 on: October 11, 2017, 09:17:04 am »
I have one of his books - one man walks into a pub, in my bookcase but haven't got around to reading it yet.
I like Bill Bryson and Tim Moore so hoping I will enjoy this book as well.
My fave Tim Moore book is You Are Awful (But I Like You), in which he visits the worst parts of Britain. Hilarious!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3612 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:52 am »
I've just finished reading that. Great book - poor old Anglesey sea zoo!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3613 on: October 11, 2017, 12:26:01 pm »
My question for you Bosun then is, if a Wetherspoons were to pop up in Conwy would the Albion still be as successful?

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3614 on: October 11, 2017, 01:32:40 pm »
So, in all, we agree, sadly, the Albion business model might not work in Llandudno.

The Albions business model in Conwy isn't so clever either, as their expansion into the Bridge is now a thing of the past. After the sale is complete you will at least be able to get a good wood fired pizza there courtesy of Johnny Dough's  $dins$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)