Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 636360 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #330 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »
Milletts has now closed down whilst Cotton Traders next door is busily preparing for opening.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #331 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »
What's Diskos going to be and the book shop is closing for refurbishment???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
Diskos is having a new shopfront fitted and then an existing retailer from another part of Mostyn St will be moving in.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »
It was interesting to see the old 'Plumbs' sign reappear as work got underway on Diskos. I suspect it was Plumbs that installed the modern shopfront originally. What did they sell?

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »
It was interesting to see the old 'Plumbs' sign reappear as work got underway on Diskos. I suspect it was Plumbs that installed the modern shopfront originally. What did they sell?

Soft furnishings.

http://www.plumbs.co.uk/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »

Soft furnishings.

http://www.plumbs.co.uk/
Ah, thank you! It does ring a bell now you mention it.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2012, 08:08:53 pm »
The Millets store was completely emptied out today, whilst the Cotton Traders shopfitters were busy next door readying that store for opening:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:45 am »
Llandudno Smokery has gone into Administation.

Food Guide ‏ @foodguidetel
It's very sad to hear that the Llandudno Smokery @thesmokery have gone into administration. Tough times for regional food suppliers

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #338 on: March 16, 2012, 08:49:54 am »
Llandudno Smokery has gone into Administation.

It is certainly not good news, but the last time I went into the "plaice" I felt that I needed the bank manager with me to provide a loan.   As a result I now buy a lot of my fish and seafood online - 24 hour service, and beautiful quality, presention and packing.   :D

Mermaid are still in business though!  Even ASDA and TESCO have half reasonable fish counters.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:01 am »
Workmen are this morning installing the new glazed canopy on the Sainsburys store. Good to see it being done, as Sainsburys were initially reluctant to pay for it.

Good also to see other workmen dismantling the final bits of the ugly modern canopy over the former Diskos. Let's hope a suitably designed one replaces it.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:26 am »
Are Sainsbury's repainting the exterior and replacing the windows too? The whole frontage was beginning to look rather tatty.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: March 16, 2012, 11:27:51 am »
The exterior has been painted already and a new shopfront installed. It all looks very smart, much better than the tatty Woolworths in its final years.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #342 on: March 16, 2012, 11:53:51 am »
Mostyn estates are ripping diskos to bits,so it one of theirs,funny how they have left us with that mess for years,somuch for looking after the town.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #343 on: March 16, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »
To be fair, Mostyn Estates do look after the town and we could have far worse people in charge. If we didn't we would be the Bay or Rhyl, so let's not criticise too harshly.

I'm sure if they had endless pots of money they would love to do up every building in town, but that's not economically viable. On the other hand tey have restored several buildings beautifully (Annabelle's, Courts etc.).

What would be nice would be for them to reface the building. If you look at old postcards it was originally stuccoed, with nice mouldings around the windows, like may other buildings in town. Sometime (I guess when the shopfront was put in), it was scraped of the moulding and refaced in pebble dash. I doubt that will happen though.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #344 on: March 16, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »
I agree Ian.  On balance we are better with the Estate than without - though there will always be less than well-informed comments to the contrary.
Besides the locations mentioned, they have done up numerous flats around Vaughan Street which are now let.
I am sure there will be those more knowledgeable than I am but as ground landlord they only take possesion of buildings when tenants or receivers actually surrender or default on the lease.  These are no doubt complicated procedures I guess so we cannot say exactly when the Estate took possession of Diskos.