Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 636312 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:54 pm »
Oscar thinks that Sainsburys opening in Llandudno may be under threat thanks to the actions of CCBC's conservation officer:

"Sainsbury's are by no means guaranteed to open in #LLANDUDNO, due to #Conwycouncil 's conservation officer.He is playing awkward"

He deserves to have a kick up the A*** then, we can't be creating problems for a quality retailer like Sainsburys who is willing to invest in the town, with all the accompanying jobs.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »
What is he conserving? an empty tatty shop! I suppose he has to follow the instructions from various committees and sub committees  :roll: :roll:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2012, 04:01:55 pm »
Footprints and Red Tape--- again !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:47 pm »
Not enough of the brown envelopes in circulation!    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:37 am »
I agree Yorkie......the guy is taking the mik  &shake&
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »
Do you remember Billy Rowlands the tobacconists shop?  Next door to Stange?  He had lovely curved windows and I thought it such a shame when the shops amalgamated and they had to disappear.  Now the new Vyella shop with curved windows have solved the problem by painting them grey so that they look like pillars.  What a shame that the planners allowed them to do this.

According to this week's NWWN there are planning problems with the proposed Sainsbury's.  If it is allowed to drag on much longer they will just give up and go somewhere more welcoming which will be a shame as I want to use my Nectar card"!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:21 pm »
Those curved windows in Country Casuals are actually perspex, they became very discoloured and Past Times covered them over with paint or vinyl. Shame they haven't forked out to have glass reinstalled there.

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »
Those curved windows in Country Casuals are actually perspex, they became very discoloured and Past Times covered them over with paint or vinyl. Shame they haven't forked out to have glass reinstalled there.

My Father used to own 68, Mostyn Street. He was a pharmacist and his business Blades Chemist was on the ground floor, with a stockroom and staff room on the first floor, and a flat on the second floor which he let out for a number of years. At that time it had plate glass curved windows and they were still there when he sold the property in 1984. However I have a feeling that vandalism later led to them being replaced with something slightly less prone to damage.
I'm pleased to see that you read the Weekly News Llechwedd. There are planning ongoing  problems with Sainsbury's  and CADW is involved, but I've been assured these are close to being resolved and Sainsburys are still eager to open in the town.
Caffee Nero's marketing department say they expect to open mid to late February but can't give a definite date yet.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »
What's with all this underlining? It's really REALLY irritating Ian!

Yes of course I remember Blades the chemists Craigydonian, those were the days.  I didn't know that the current windows were perspex but had noticed how discoloured they are.  No excuse to paint them though just put glass back.  Probably cost a fortune.  How do you bend glass that size?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »
My Father used to own 68, Mostyn Street. He was a pharmacist and his business Blades Chemist was on the ground floor, with a stockroom and staff room on the first floor, and a flat on the second floor which he let out for a number of years. At that time it had plate glass curved windows and they were still there when he sold the property in 1984. However I have a feeling that vandalism later led to them being replaced with something slightly less prone to damage.
That's interesting, I don't suppose you have any photos of Blades to share?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2012, 12:30:39 am »
Here you go Dave, a picture of The Blades for you, as requested.... (aka Sheffield Utd FC)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2012, 08:33:37 am »
Erm....thanks mate!  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »
The new CC/Viyella shop

Offline Ian48

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2012, 10:05:19 am »
I think they have done a lovely job with the CC/Viyella shop. Looks very smart and good quality, just the type of shop we need around there to start to bring it up to the mark again. Let's just keep our fingers crossed for Sainsbury's as that will increase the footfall in that area dramatically.

I think that the Caffe Nero will look very good. I have been in many of their cafes across the country and have always felt that they do the best job out of all Starbucks, Costa etc. in making their cafes look top-quality. They will milk it, but I am not sure how much business they will take off places like Cafe Culture etc. Anecdotally, I know myself and friends of mine probably wouldn't have gone to those other places for a coffee, we would probably just not have bothered or gone for a stronger drink elsewhere as the coffee is usually like dishwater in most places in town. Some places like Fortes, have a loyal customer base, that I think will stick to it and Caffe Nero might be a bit pricey for other people who usually go to places like the Milk Bar and the Coffee Centre.

With Caffe Nero, I would probably be spending money I otherwise probably would not have spent.

Hopefully that corner will look a lot more inviting than it did when it was Burtons. I always thought those painted-over windows and the boxed-off display windows made the whole building look a bit dead.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:27 pm »
Work has started today on Sainsburys.