Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 636340 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #2025 on: April 08, 2019, 10:14:27 am »
Ooops  I was on the wrong side of the street.      Was that Draper's shop Hepworths or was Hepworth's nearer the HSBC  Bank?
My memory of that stretch is rather vague now

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2026 on: April 08, 2019, 11:10:55 am »
Cambrian, if Llandudno Library is Number 48 then it must surely follow that Number 50 is next door.

It is currently Pavers but in the past (if my memory serves me right) it has been Manweb, Telefusion and Browns.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2027 on: April 08, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »
Another advert reveals more details about the shop:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2028 on: April 08, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
You could buy a Sailor?   $donald$
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2029 on: April 09, 2019, 10:43:52 am »
The future of North Wales Debenhams stores were in doubt again today as the chain teeters on the brink of administration.

This morning Debenhams requested its shares be suspended from trading with immediate effect, pending a further update.

It comes after Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct made a revised £200m rescue offer for Debenhams - but lenders said it was not enough to persuade them to allow more time as it seeks new finances.   
   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864211

Offline Dave

« Reply #2030 on: April 26, 2019, 10:35:35 am »
The future of North Wales Debenhams stores were in doubt again today as the chain teeters on the brink of administration.

This morning Debenhams requested its shares be suspended from trading with immediate effect, pending a further update.

It comes after Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct made a revised £200m rescue offer for Debenhams - but lenders said it was not enough to persuade them to allow more time as it seeks new finances.   
   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864211

Off the hook for now!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48063604

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2031 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »
Superdrug have put in an application for new signage on Unit 9a Parc Llandudno where Bank Fashion Ltd had a store. Does anyone know whether they are relocating from Mostyn Street or will this be an extra Superdrug store for Llandudno?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2032 on: June 19, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »
Outdoor clothing and equipment brand Mountain Warehouse is opening a store at the site of a former HMV shop in Llandudno.
Now Mountain Warehouse has been confirmed as the new occupier with plans in to change the facade of the unit.

“They are a strong brand and research their markets well. Llandudno is a focal point for an outdoors branch focused on North Wales.  ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2033 on: July 03, 2019, 09:59:44 am »
Expanding shoe shop chain takes over well known Llandudno brand
Elevate Your Sole has taken on the Simon Baker store in the seaside town.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/expanding-shoe-shop-chain-takes-16521931

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2034 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:01 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that when walking to Asda's main store across the frontage there's a smell reminiscent of an abattoir?  It's been there for at least three weeks, now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2035 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:08 am »
CO-OP article..............
When I heard about this development I was worried it would not be in keeping with the local area, big and brash, but looking at these  photos, it looks quite subdued, so fingers crossed no fluorescent signage.

The church style Co-op set to open on former Tesco development site
The site in Rhos-on-Sea had been a United Reformed Church property.
Co-op will open its latest North Wales store this month.                       ref DP

M&S article.................
It is the end of an era for Marks and Spencer, which will be relegated from the FTSE 100 index of Britain's biggest listed companies on Wednesday.

It will be the first time the retailer has not been a FTSE 100 member since the index was launched in 1984.
Based on the closing price of its stock on Tuesday, its market value has fallen below the threshold for inclusion.

But the official announcement will not be made until Wednesday night, with the decision implemented on 23 September.
The food and fashion giant has had a hard year, with its shares down 40%.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49563757

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2036 on: September 19, 2019, 10:25:54 am »
This is from an article I'm writing, hence its style:

Some people complain that Amazon is destroying the high street and traditional businesses. I’ve always doubted that it’s Amazon’s fault, as in my experience the high street shops are doing a pretty good job all by themselves.

But last week, while searching for a quality chess set and board, I decided to look outside Amazon and instead to a smaller, independent business.  It was an interesting journey.

There are, in the UK, anyway, only three independent suppliers of chess equipment and I later learned that two of those get their supplies from the third - the largest, called Regency Chess. However, going on the websites alone I placed an order with a  company called Official Staunton.

For those who may be unaware, the word Staunton refers to the design of chess pieces now used worldwide and was created by journalist Nathaniel Cooke who named the design after the English chess master, Howard Staunton.  Using the name Official Staunton implies a guarantee of quality, something which proved not to be the case.

I placed the order on Sep 5th, and received an email by return promising me that I’d be advised by a further email when the set was dispatched. Okay so far, I thought, but that’s when things started to go wrong.

On the 10th Sep, we returned from shopping to find the dreaded red card through the door from Parcel force.  The card advised us they’d tried to deliver without success and we could either collect it from the post office (three miles away) or we could rearrange delivery.

I chose the latter, gained confirmation from Parcel force that it would be delivered the following day, and waited in all that day.  It failed to arrive.

By this stage I was becoming irritated: we’d had no promised email from Official Staunton, and lost an entire day waiting in for Parcel Force.  I sent an email to Official Staunton and waited for a response. That didn’t arrive (how long does it take for a company to send off a quick reply telling you they’ve received your email and will get back to you?) and had to send a second.

The company did reply to that one but the reply was not an apology or admission of fault. They stated that they’d been on contact with Parcel Force who’d told them that they’d made two attempts to deliver. Sadly, Parcel Force was unaware that we have security cameras covering the front and rear entrances which record all movement and they’d picked up nothing at all other than a couple of large birds and a friendly cat.

I pointed that out in a return email to Official Staunton, and also their own failings in failing to send the promised advisory email on dispatch and also failing to provide a tracking number - something I found distinctly odd. They responded by claiming they’d been in touch with Parcel Force who’d argued there was no trace of the rearranged delivery time (which was shame, since I’d taken a screenshot) but interestingly not denying my claim that they were lying about having attempted delivery twice.

Being a long time user of Which?’s excellent legal service I pointed out that our contract was with Official Staunton and that specified delivery to our home. By failing to provide a confirmatory email and failing to supply a tracking number Official Staunton were not fulfilling their part of the contract and I gave them 24 hours to contact ParcelForce again and arrange a second delivery or I would exercise my rights and cancel the purchase.

All that was required of Official Staunton was to contact Parcel Force and ask them to do what they’d already claimed they had: redeliver the item on a specified date. The response from Official Staunton was interesting:

We are a very small independent business and do not
have manned lines to reply to complaints as quickly as you demand.

To be honest i am shocked you have raised such a complaint when
parcel force have attempted a delivery which you were not at home to sign for?
So the natural progression is to rearrange a delivery which you assert you did,
however after speaking with parcelforce they have no knowledge of this rearranged delivery?

The situation is if you do not collect the parcel from your local post office
the goods will be automatically returned to us and at such a time we will apply a full refund

I do not understand why you have emailed in a legal manner when we are simply
trying to deliver the order you placed and were not available to sign for in
the first instance. From that point we have simply advised that you collect your order.

So it appears that some small companies who clearly fail to deal with their customers well are prepared to lose a substantial sale, plus their postage costs, and for what? The time it takes to honour what they promised in the first place.

I believe this type of behaviour is why Amazon has done so well. Why would you want to put yourself through protracted wrangling and arguing with a business when you can simply get something from Amazon and know - with cast-iron certainly - that they’ll keep you informed as to the delivery date every step of the way and refund without question if anything goes wrong? This type of behaviour is why the High street is failing. I eventually ordered from Regency Chess - possibly the largest Chess set supplier in Europe - and received outstanding service.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2037 on: September 19, 2019, 10:46:01 am »
Definitely shooting themselves in the foot, their comment... " We are a very small independent business" ...by their customer service standards destined to stay that way.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2038 on: September 25, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »
New CO OP open in the petrol filling station on Abergele Road, Old Colwyn, which re-launches on Thursday following a £1m three month overhaul of the site infrastructure and food store.  ref DP

Sainsbury's is shutting another 60 to 70 Argos shops and moving them inside its supermarkets as part of a reorganisation.
It will also close up to 15 supermarkets and 40 convenience stores.
The closures are part of a plan to reduce costs by £500m over five years, it said.
However Sainsbury's also plans to open around 120 new grocery outlets, mostly convenience stores.
Interesting article .........   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49822845

Walking around llandudno today I noticed a few empty shops, unfortunately looking grubby,  but nice to see, at least three new ones, two in the Victoria centre.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2039 on: September 25, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »
PS from above............    I noticed the H. Samuel shop, being gutted this morning, everything being loaded onto vans, (which incidentally were parked on the new pavement, so hopefully no oil stains )  now rumors around that the staff were unaware of this situation, and were working as normal yesterday.          &shake&