Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638978 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1980 on: January 04, 2019, 04:04:51 pm »
A RETAIL giant has confirmed it will leave the centre of Llandudno and move to the retail park.

Marks and Spencer has been located at 61 Mostyn Street for more than 80 years.
The company has not stated when the store would relocate to Parc Llandudno, but did confirm that all "existing staff" would make the move.

“We’re still in the planning stage. That process continues and we’ll share plans with the community as soon as we can.
“The store will be a full line store which means it will sell both clothing and food, and the whole team will stay with M&S.”
The business did not disclose which unit it hopes to occupy.

Cllr Greg Robbins, who represents the centre of Llandudno on Conwy County Borough Council said: “Obviously if M&S go from the town centre it will have a serious effect. We can hope a new tenant of high quality will be found for the building.

“It is a very difficult time for trading at the moment. But what will happen is still a big unknown because M&S has not been in contact.”

Mayor of Llandudno, cllr David Hawkins said: “It is worrying to see what has been happening to the town centre which still retains its Victorian character and hopefully this will be maintained. If M&S goes it will leave quite a gap.”

Edward Hillier, managing director of Mostyn Estates, the freeholder of the property M&S currently occupies, said: “They hold the building on a long lease and it is for them to find another tenant.”                ref Pioneer

Offline Dave

« Reply #1981 on: January 04, 2019, 08:25:52 pm »

Edward Hillier, managing director of Mostyn Estates, the freeholder of the property M&S currently occupies, said: “They hold the building on a long lease and it is for them to find another tenant.”                ref Pioneer

Wonder what it's costing to have M&S 2 closed compared to keeping it open.I haven't set foot in the menswear department since they closed the shop and shoved them upstairs somewhere in M&S 1.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1982 on: January 05, 2019, 09:18:50 pm »
So if M&S are moving does that mean the other pieces of the jigsaw are in place 🤔 I wonder.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1983 on: January 06, 2019, 09:04:32 am »
I was wondering that, too.  More especially, what is happening with Debenham's...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1984 on: January 06, 2019, 02:51:49 pm »
I'm told, but not certain if it's correct, that there is a covenant preventing anyone operating a grocery store on Champneys RP. Presumably part of the agreement with Asda when they moved.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1985 on: January 06, 2019, 03:58:59 pm »
That was correct Dave, but that is part of the jigsaw, but can we see a big concern going into M&S Mostyn st.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1986 on: January 07, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
I'm told, but not certain if it's correct, that there is a covenant preventing anyone operating a grocery store on Champneys RP. Presumably part of the agreement with Asda when they moved.

That was correct when Champneys was first opened but as has been previously stated on previous threads that covenant has now expired.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1987 on: January 08, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »
M&S where supposed to have a new build and the unit occupied by Outfit,then Outfit where moving into Bank and TUI shop units and TUI move too Carphone Warehouse have i got that right.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1988 on: January 10, 2019, 01:03:51 pm »
M&S and Debenhams report falling Christmas sales

"Debenhams is in talks with its lenders about its £520m credit line."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46820588

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1989 on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:27 pm »
Nice big store, that...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1990 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:34 pm »
Debenhams share price has fallen from 80p to under 4p in just over a year, and is technically insolvent.
Debenhams will go bust, primarily because Mike Ashley wants that to happen, then he can cancel all outstanding debt and relaunch the brand in a cheaper and tackier image. 
However, even if M&S did want to take that unit, it’s nowhere near large enough, and there’s not a chance that the car parking situation could cope.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1991 on: January 12, 2019, 09:09:25 am »
I'm wondering; I agree it's not large enough as it stands, but I did hear several months ago one idea was to take some adjacent units then build upwards.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1992 on: January 12, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »
That’s correct Ian, but that was the Outfit shop, which has room around and above to be developed.
I’m saying that it’s the Debenhams unit which is likely to be vacant very soon, which is less suitable for M&S.
It’s a shame about Debenhams, because along with M&S, it’s the shop I spend most in.
However, like most others, I tend to wait until things are reduced in the Sale to buy them.
That’s the problem, few if any of us are willing to pay full margin these days.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1993 on: January 14, 2019, 07:14:03 am »
Nlce to see a let agreed sign in the old antique shop next to Peacocks,i thought it would be years before we saw any movement in our empty shops.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1994 on: January 15, 2019, 10:16:48 am »
Surely parking can't be any worse than it is now for M&S? Is the proposed store big enough ( if we knew were it was going!)? Maybe they should try using the store as a look before you buy online store carrying minimal stock? Retail needs to adapt to the current climate that's for sure.
If I'm honest I'm no more likely to buy anything if they move or if they stay put. I heard it was the grocery £1 they were after and the ability to load a trolley and take it to the car like other supermarkets.Personally I don't buy that much volume to make a difference to my shopping but I do see some with fully loaded trolleys.Interesting times.