Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 645936 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #930 on: November 29, 2013, 10:06:24 am »
I buy the DVDs for any film I particularly want, then rip the dvd to our media server. That way, I have both a digital copy and the 'hard' copy.

I won't pay for Sky's rental offerings but I find there's enough on the 'On Demand' section of in Sky Movies.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Linda

« Reply #931 on: November 29, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »
The games and consoles were popular in blockbusters, and still pretty busy on the film side. As Fester said before its sad for the staff who
needed their wages before xmas.!  There are a no of dvds still for sale at a couple of quid for anyone interested.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #932 on: November 29, 2013, 01:38:51 pm »
I buy the DVDs for any film I particularly want, then rip the dvd to our media server. That way, I have both a digital copy and the 'hard' copy.

I won't pay for Sky's rental offerings but I find there's enough on the 'On Demand' section of in Sky Movies.

The sky film rentals are a rip off - I have sky on demabnd through the internet and netflix and both provide more films then I could possibly watch. I wanted to watch 1984 a few weeks back and sky wanted £3.50 to rent it - Netflix had it free.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #933 on: November 29, 2013, 02:52:50 pm »
I remember the days of racing over to North Wales Video when they had the shop in Vaughan St to rent the latest release on video.

I remember when we got our first ever video.  The first film I hired was the 1953 version of War Of The Worlds which we hired from Jubilee Video.  I think I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick because I was disappointed to find that it didn't feature Richard Burton, David Essex and Phil Lynott and the Jeff Wayne soundtrack was also missing  :(.

But I seem to remember that at the time video recordings were extremely expensive to buy, I'm sure it was something like £70-80 to buy a film, so hiring a video was the only sensible option.  These days there are so many cheaper ways to get hold of films it's inevitable that places like Blockbusters will become obsolete.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #934 on: November 29, 2013, 04:32:19 pm »
I remember the days of racing over to North Wales Video when they had the shop in Vaughan St to rent the latest release on video.

Similarly, I remember from 1976 onwards, excitedly rushing down to HMV every time a new Motorhead album was released.

Funnily enough, 37 years on, I'm still doing it!   $good$ $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Minime

« Reply #935 on: November 29, 2013, 11:45:02 pm »
Havent rented for ages, we dont have sky but have Netflix which we use most of the time.  I also frequent the cash converter type places to get blurays and 3d bluray.  I buy most of the new kids movies on 3d as they get watched over and over.
I did sign up for blinkbox free trial and balked at the prices.  Wanted nearly 2 quid an episode of a series I could get box sets for 10 quid off amazon

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #936 on: December 16, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »
Can somebody please clean thye eggs of the old Timothy Whites window,it looks a disgrace(or Ethel Austins to the young ones),if i was manager of the jewllers next door i would wash it myself.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #937 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:47 pm »
wrex the council have enough problems making fools of themselves with colwyn pier  _))* and mostyn est don,t care so long as they dont put the wrong windows in oh and paint it the wrong colour , the whole of mostyn st is a mess .

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #938 on: December 27, 2013, 05:06:52 pm »
We went out looking for boots for Erindoors this afternoon, we ended up in Shoe Zone in Mostyn Street, good value but the sales staff seem very miserable and uninterested generally!  &shake& 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #939 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »
Always too hot for me in there.!Phew !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #940 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »
We went out looking for boots for Erindoors this afternoon, we ended up in Shoe Zone in Mostyn Street, good value but the sales staff seem very miserable and uninterested generally!  &shake&

I got some shoes from there, but my Mrs rolled her eyes at them, as she calls it the 'Plastic Fantastic Shop'
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #941 on: December 29, 2013, 02:25:59 pm »
Not being able to run to the realms of some of the local prices, I have had a couple of pairs of 'Cushion Walk' shoes from there, which are Ok if you don't mind either sweaty or permanently cold feet !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #942 on: December 29, 2013, 02:49:21 pm »
which are Ok if you don't mind either sweaty or permanently cold feet !

So not quite the epitome of sartorial elegance one might have hoped for, then?

:D :D :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Jack

« Reply #943 on: January 18, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
Tina Holley the artist is opening a gallery in Augusta Street opposite the old Argyll Hotel on February 5th. It will also be the location for a picture framing workshop. Next door another gallery has already opened.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #944 on: January 18, 2014, 05:42:18 pm »
Thanks for that info Jack as Tina Holley is one of my wife's favourite artists.      $good$