Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 647087 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #735 on: February 06, 2013, 11:13:48 pm »
Very sad news, over the last 40 years I've fitted many QH parts to cars that I have owned, probably still have some QH parts in stock!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #736 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01:40 am »
My sister and her husband both worked there after leaving school.

About 30 years ago, along with many others, they both moved to the West Midlands when Quints relocated their computer department down that way.

My brother-in-law was made redundant by the Group last year and, fortunately, found employment quite quickly at Rolls Royce in Derby.

Finding similar work in and around Mochdre will not be easy for the present workforce.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:03 am »
Let's hope a buyer can be found who can keep the business running.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #738 on: February 07, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
Not good news!  :(

80 workers redundant in 'bombshell' move at Mochdre car parts factory
By Martin Williams, Business CorrespondentFeb 7 2013

LESS than 24 hours after being told their jobs were under threat, 80 workers at a Mochdre car parts factory have been made redundant.

Staff at Quinton Hazell were given the bad news this morning.

Parent company Klarius, which employs 1,200 people, appointed administrators KPMG yesterday.

QH has been making water pumps for customers such as Opel, Jaguar and Nissan for over 60 years.

Klarius declined to comment, but North Wales Unite union regional officer John Hamilton said: "After a meeting with KPMG today, all 80 employees have been made redundant.

"We are very disappointed because the management, with the support of the workers and Unite, had turned this business around.

"It's because the parent company Klarius had cash flow problems and pressure from the banks.

"The staff are very frustrated and angry. This is a real body blow."

Speaking to the Daily Post yesterday morning, one QH employee described how the workforce were told the company was to go into administration, before being sent home.

"There has been little for us to do for weeks, and management have been coming here less and less frequently. Now we know why," they said.

The Klarius group was billed as the largest European manufacturer of aftermarket car parts and makes 90,000 parts from five manufacturing plants – three in the UK, one in Spain and one in Germany.

Its Mochdre facility played an important role as the centre for testing and manufacturing of water pumps and related engine ancillary equipment.

The site was opened by Eric Quinton Hazell in 1946, manufacturing ball joints and steering components, before being sold to Burmah Castrol in 1972.

At its peak in the 1950s and 60s, QH sold to more than 160 countries worldwide and was the largest independent supplier of automotive parts in Europe.

Mochdre councillor Adrian Tansley said losing it will be a “huge blow” for the village.

“This is a real bombshell, I thought they were on the up and up,” he said.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/07/80-workers-redundant-in-bombshell-move-at-mochdre-car-parts-factory-55578-32764022/#.URN8Vt5azfY.twitter

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #739 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:55 am »
Piece of good news: HMV are keeping their Llandudno & Bangor stores one. Wrexham is closing, however.

ADMINISTRATORS for HMV today announced 66 stores will close, including Wrexham.

Outlets in Bangor, Chester and Llandudno are safe for now.

The affected stores employ 930 staff. No fixed date is set for the closure and they will continue to trade in the meantime.

However, it is expected that closures will take place over the next one to two months. HMV currently operates from 220 stores in the UK.

Nick Edwards, joint administrator, said: “As part of our ongoing review of HMV’s financial position, we have now completed a review of the store portfolio and have identified 66 loss making stores for closure. This step has been taken in order to enhance the prospects of securing the business’ future as a going concern.

“We continue to receive strong support from staff and are extremely grateful to them for their commitment during an understandably difficult period. All other key stakeholders remain very supportive and I continue to be hopeful of securing a future for the restructured business.”

Nick Edwards, Rob Harding and Neville Kahn were appointed administrators of HMV on January 15.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/07/hmv-to-close-wrexham-store-but-bangor-and-llandudno-outlets-safe-for-now-55578-32764123/

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #740 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:02 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: February 07, 2013, 04:14:20 pm »
The old HSS shop on Mostyn Broadway is to be the Llandudno branch of Crest Co-operative.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #742 on: February 07, 2013, 04:50:25 pm »
Not good news!  :(

80 workers redundant in 'bombshell' move at Mochdre car parts factory
By Martin Williams, Business CorrespondentFeb 7 2013

LESS than 24 hours after being told their jobs were under threat, 80 workers at a Mochdre car parts factory have been made redundant.

Staff at Quinton Hazell were given the bad news this morning.

Parent company Klarius, which employs 1,200 people, appointed administrators KPMG yesterday.

QH has been making water pumps for customers such as Opel, Jaguar and Nissan for over 60 years.

Klarius declined to comment, but North Wales Unite union regional officer John Hamilton said: "After a meeting with KPMG today, all 80 employees have been made redundant.

"We are very disappointed because the management, with the support of the workers and Unite, had turned this business around.

"It's because the parent company Klarius had cash flow problems and pressure from the banks.

"The staff are very frustrated and angry. This is a real body blow."

Speaking to the Daily Post yesterday morning, one QH employee described how the workforce were told the company was to go into administration, before being sent home.

"There has been little for us to do for weeks, and management have been coming here less and less frequently. Now we know why," they said.

The Klarius group was billed as the largest European manufacturer of aftermarket car parts and makes 90,000 parts from five manufacturing plants – three in the UK, one in Spain and one in Germany.

Its Mochdre facility played an important role as the centre for testing and manufacturing of water pumps and related engine ancillary equipment.

The site was opened by Eric Quinton Hazell in 1946, manufacturing ball joints and steering components, before being sold to Burmah Castrol in 1972.

At its peak in the 1950s and 60s, QH sold to more than 160 countries worldwide and was the largest independent supplier of automotive parts in Europe.

Mochdre councillor Adrian Tansley said losing it will be a “huge blow” for the village.

“This is a real bombshell, I thought they were on the up and up,” he said.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/07/80-workers-redundant-in-bombshell-move-at-mochdre-car-parts-factory-55578-32764022/#.URN8Vt5azfY.twitter

:( Sad news, it's getting more like a dark throw back to the 80s as the days go on - John Hamilton the Unite officer is a good friend and colleague of mine, obviously nothing could be done here.

Offline CamKrist

« Reply #743 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:51 am »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: February 12, 2013, 01:42:41 pm »
I've always said the pedestrianisation of Station Road was a disaster for the shops...

Towns 'should be more accessible', says surveyors group RICS

By Chris Dearden
BBC News

Welsh councils are being asked to look again at pedestrian zones amid concern they are deterring shoppers.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) says towns need to find new ways to attract people.

They should make them easier to get to and easier for car drivers to navigate around, it says.

RICS members are meeting this week to discuss what should be done to make town centres more accessible and get more people spending there.

One town the group says could benefit from a review of pedestrianisation is Colwyn Bay.

One of its main shopping streets, Station Road, has been free of traffic since the 1980s.

Philip Arundale says pedestrianisation has been a "big nail in the coffin"
Philip Arundale, who runs a greengrocer set up by his great grandfather there in 1878, has decided to close and concentrate on deliveries instead.

The ban on traffic from his street is partly to blame.

"Pedestrianisation has been a big nail in the coffin," he explained.

"Fruit and veg is heavy. People don't want to be carrying bags of veg to the nearest car park. When cars could come down the street, people just used to pop in.

"We've really campaigned against pedestrianisation the whole time. But now it's too late. It's terribly sad. I've been here all my life, and my father, grandfather and great grandfather before me.

"We'll be carrying on with just one member of staff and focusing just on deliveries - it's a shame."

"It will not put the clock back, but improved accessibility may attract new independent retailers”
Richard Baddeley
RICS member

Richard Baddeley, a surveyor in Conwy county and a member of RICS in north Wales, said towns like Colwyn Bay, Holyhead, Rhyl and Holywell have all had pedestrianised areas for some time, but now need to think of new ways to get people spending.

"Shopping has changed. High streets have changed. There are now out-of-town shopping centres - they're a draw for people," he said.

"One out-of-town shopping centre near north Wales - Cheshire Oaks in Ellesmere Port - has increased its turnover by 22% this year.

"The key issue is accessibility. Small and medium-sized towns need to think about how they attract cars in the future with improved parking and making the shops more accessible.

"It will not put the clock back, but improved accessibility may attract new independent retailers."

Master plan
Conwy council said it looked at whether to reopen Station Road to traffic a few years ago, but almost everyone who replied to the consultation said things should stay as they are.

Anglesey council said it is looking in detail at how many people shop in the centre of Holyhead.

Dewi Williams, Anglesey's Head of Highways and Waste Management, added: "the issue of pedestrianisation in town centres is one which provokes considerable debate.

"While we have no plans to change the current arrangement in Holyhead at the moment, we will be happy to consider the outcome of a public consultation that a local community group are planning on holding in the near future.

"The Holyhead town centre master plan currently being undertaken may also inform us of the benefits of any proposals."

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #745 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:12 pm »
A rather colourful shop is in the process of opening in St. Georges Place, next to Caffe Nero. The paint is still wet, as Fester found out when he looked through the door.  :laugh:

Re my comment "I think they've been and gone", I'm pleased to say Dave was right. The Bag shop started trading again last Saturday and is still as colourful as ever.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Linda

« Reply #746 on: February 18, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »
I've always said the pedestrianisation of Station Road was a disaster for the shops...

Towns 'should be more accessible', says surveyors group RICS

By Chris Dearden
BBC News

Welsh councils are being asked to look again at pedestrian zones amid concern they are deterring shoppers.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) says towns need to find new ways to attract people.

They should make them easier to get to and easier for car drivers to navigate around, it says.

RICS members are meeting this week to discuss what should be done to make town centres more accessible and get more people spending there.

One town the group says could benefit from a review of pedestrianisation is Colwyn Bay.

One of its main shopping streets, Station Road, has been free of traffic since the 1980s.

Philip Arundale says pedestrianisation has been a "big nail in the coffin"
Philip Arundale, who runs a greengrocer set up by his great grandfather there in 1878, has decided to close and concentrate on deliveries instead.

The ban on traffic from his street is partly to blame.

"Pedestrianisation has been a big nail in the coffin," he explained.

"Fruit and veg is heavy. People don't want to be carrying bags of veg to the nearest car park. When cars could come down the street, people just used to pop in.

"We've really campaigned against pedestrianisation the whole time. But now it's too late. It's terribly sad. I've been here all my life, and my father, grandfather and great grandfather before me.

"We'll be carrying on with just one member of staff and focusing just on deliveries - it's a shame."

"It will not put the clock back, but improved accessibility may attract new independent retailers”
Richard Baddeley
RICS member

Richard Baddeley, a surveyor in Conwy county and a member of RICS in north Wales, said towns like Colwyn Bay, Holyhead, Rhyl and Holywell have all had pedestrianised areas for some time, but now need to think of new ways to get people spending.

"Shopping has changed. High streets have changed. There are now out-of-town shopping centres - they're a draw for people," he said.

"One out-of-town shopping centre near north Wales - Cheshire Oaks in Ellesmere Port - has increased its turnover by 22% this year.

"The key issue is accessibility. Small and medium-sized towns need to think about how they attract cars in the future with improved parking and making the shops more accessible.

"It will not put the clock back, but improved accessibility may attract new independent retailers."

Master plan
Conwy council said it looked at whether to reopen Station Road to traffic a few years ago, but almost everyone who replied to the consultation said things should stay as they are.

Anglesey council said it is looking in detail at how many people shop in the centre of Holyhead.

Dewi Williams, Anglesey's Head of Highways and Waste Management, added: "the issue of pedestrianisation in town centres is one which provokes considerable debate.

"While we have no plans to change the current arrangement in Holyhead at the moment, we will be happy to consider the outcome of a public consultation that a local community group are planning on holding in the near future.

"The Holyhead town centre master plan currently being undertaken may also inform us of the benefits of any proposals."
Having worked for many years at 2 shops on Station road,Colwyn Bay and Hubby use to have a business in the bay, i have to agree that no benefit was gained for the traders in the road when it became pedestrianised, just the opposite ,Older folk had problems parking and people had to watch they didnt get knocked down with van drivers speeding through. Also a few years ago when Station road had the revamp, we watched council workmen rip up and skip well established palm trees that would cost you or I hundreds to buy and shrubs all just dumped ,roots destroyed. All to be replaced with grey grey grey and more grey paving etc. Everywhere looked so GREY it blended in with the sky on a winters day. Nothing looked good . I remember there were meetings about reopening the road, but to be honest from what i was told it was a forgone conclusion by the Council to keep Station road pedestrianised. So who ever said folk didnt want the road opened again was either telling porkies or didnt ask enough people what they thought.If the Council ever changed their minds and opened up the road I can only see a vast improvement for the shops that are left and it may bring a little life and character back to the road. Sad though a little too late for some. Also they should have kept vehicle access to the Promenade open,even if it was one way down there, so many visitors dont know the way to the beach.

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #747 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:05 am »
HMV in Llandudno survives a second round of closures - following the first wave of 66 announced closures, a further 36 stores are announced for closure which will leave an estate of only 110.  There is however no indication that this is yet the end of it, but good news so far as it is a prominent unit in the town and provides good jobs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #748 on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:48 am »
A good sign indeed. HMV is a key retailer in Llandudno.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »
'Hotter Shoes' will be opening in the old Stead & Simpson shop in Mostyn St, Llandudno.