Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638434 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2013, 10:19:43 am »
It seems to get more and more small 'departments'.

The place is a bl**dy mess, not just in the shop but all over the sidewalk, often on the public area causing obstruction to pedestrians.    $angry2$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: February 01, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
I was in Waitrose in Menai Bridge earlier, what a fantastic shop it is, such great quality food. If only they could be persuaded to open in Llandudno; I imagine the demographic would be perfect for them.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #722 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:09 pm »
    Back to Craft Llandudno. I was in there today and find out that "they" have now taken over the next door shop to the left, as you face them. So now there are three..
    Thinking of this thread I asked the lad on the till why they had painted out the Land dud no bit. For what it is worth, he said that they decided to change the name when they took over this next door unit.
    I didn't bother asking why they hadnt painted over the whole name. He might have been guessing. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: February 02, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
A rather colourful shop is in the process of opening in St. Georges Place, next to Caffe Nero. The paint is still wet, as Fester found out when he looked through the door.  :laugh:
It's going to be a Bag Shop.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #724 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
It already had bags in the shop before Xmas.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #725 on: February 03, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »
It already had bags in the shop before Xmas.

I think they may have been and gone $bounce$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #726 on: February 03, 2013, 06:40:01 pm »
  I must be very careful with my words here. I am delibrately vague about all the details. Not because I've forgotten them, but I don't fancy being called up to some Court for God knows what sin
  In a semi local paper in the last few days. I wonder what you make of it. Looks decidedly dodgy.
  Indeed, if Ian or Dave don't fancy publishing this---go
ahead and delete, I understand.

A man, not local by birth but that doesent really matter. Starts a business off in the U.K.    Goes bankrupt.       Not put off, he struggles out of bankruptcy and opens a business not too far away from here.   Should I say what sort of a business? Dont think I better had.
     Does well, very successful.  Branches out into another town.
    Now has taken on another property which USED to be very successful for very many years, but, for one reason or another, closed down two years ago.
     He intends to reopen this, that is what the article is about. Financed by one of our high street banks, named. Indeed had their photos taken with him.
     Only thing that strikes me. One is that the out of town branch has been closed for a couple of months, with no sign of reopening.
     Two. The new place is right opposite where he is already trading. And, presumably, in the same line.
     And backed by the Banking community.
     Is one of the penalties of growing old mean that you have seen all these things before, and you know what is likely to be the end result.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: February 03, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
What sort of business was it, Mike? This rings a vague bell.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #728 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:02 pm »
Basically ----- and hush ------ coffee shops.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #729 on: February 03, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »
What sort of business was it, Mike? This rings a vague bell.

I think you might be able to hear Big Ben striking thirteen now!   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: February 03, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
Basically ----- and hush ------ coffee shops.
The bell has rung! I'm sure the last time i was in the original branch a few weeks ago, I heard the staff saying that they would be closing shortly...maybe to move to the new branch? As you say, the out of town branch has given up the ghost several months ago.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #731 on: February 03, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »
   Oh, well thats not so bad. Indeed that makes sense. But there was no mention of that in the papers.

My point, now you have thrown light on it, was, it irritated me to see Bank people strutting around on photographs on what was, by what was stated in the paper, a completely unfeasible business proposition.

If, indeed this man is consolidating his two small businesses in two towns into one in one town, well thats O.K.

As I said in the first place, this new site ran very successfully for very many years.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #732 on: February 06, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Apologies, but I did not know where to place this but Quinton Hazell has gone into administration;

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/02/06/80-jobs-at-risk-as-mochdre-car-parts-factory-enters-administration-55578-32757177/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #733 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:38 pm »
That's really bad news for the people working there and also the area in general. Quints has been one of the biggest employers in the area for many years.
I had an evening job there making clutch plates and enjoyed the short time I was there so I just hope that something positive can happen to everyone there.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #734 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:58 pm »
                  That is really sad news. I worked there as a machine toolsetter for 30 years from 1968-1998 and also my wife worked there for 38 years. When I first started there they had upwards of 500 staff working a 3-shift system and also a "twilight shift" in the evenings, and more in the offices and computer department. I still know some of the staff there now, so let's hope something can be done to secure employment on the site. Oddly enough I was attending a funeral over the road from there in the crematorium this afternoon and I was telling a mate of mine who had moved away and I hadn't seen for 50 years that I had spent most of my working life there. Little did I know what was going on inside the factory at the time!   :(