Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 650009 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #2055 on: December 04, 2019, 03:56:20 pm »
It might not be retail, but a very interesting proposal, I also suspect Dylans will not be happy, check out their web page.

A Restaurant chain wants Marks and Spencer site in Llandudno,

Plans have been submitted to transform the former Marks and Spencer store in Llandudno.
A plan is in from restaurant and bar chain Loungers      https://loungers.co.uk/       to sub-divide the site and create an eating place.

While it would be a loss of a retail space it would mean this large empty site is occupied - with jobs created.
A statement from D2 Planning said: "The unit has been vacant since M&S vacated on February 10 2018. The property has been marketed since then and no interest in retail has been received.   ref DP

Offline Dave

« Reply #2056 on: December 06, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
As I walked out of Asda pushing my trolley the man in front set off the alarm. He hurriedly moved to his right and dropped his shopping basket containing a couple of what looked like expensive electrical items in an empty trolley nearby and then moved away maybe 20m or so where he waited to see what happened next.
A cunning plan as nothing happened. The security guard didn't react but I asked my wife to go and tell him what was going on. Meanwhile the  shoplifter returned and headed straight to me and asked me if there was a problem. "No" I replied "I'm just waiting for security' I told him.
I think he must have decided that his best bet was to vanish and with no sign of security arriving I told two of the guys that were collecting trolleys what had happened. At this point the security man arrived, I pointed out where the shoplifter was in the car park and left them to it.
My wife thinks that the security guard was actually watching the whole scenario on camera and perhaps waiting for the shoplifter to return and pick up the basket before confronting him.
I could only describe the shoplifter as one of lifespan's misfits. His pallid unhealthy appearance suggested a drug user looking for the easy option to raise funds. I wish I could find more sympathy for them but I struggle. We all pay in one form or another for their habit.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2057 on: December 06, 2019, 11:44:40 am »
Well done Dave, it's very refreshing to know that there are honest and responsible people about     $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2058 on: December 06, 2019, 12:35:29 pm »
 &well& Dave, we keep hearing security alarms going off, without any reaction from the staff, I bet its not his first attempt. 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2059 on: December 09, 2019, 01:09:38 pm »
A new retailer has been found for the empty Maplin unit in Llandudno.           ref DP

Now Wren Kitchens hopes to move into the vacant unit - creating a large showroom with 40 kitchens over two floors.
This has seen site owner The Hercules Unit Trust (HUT) - which is majority owned by British Land - apply to build a mezzanine floor at the unit.
It would give Wren the space to showcase its kitchens in North Wales, with their nearest site currently in Chester, one of 85 stores across the UK.
https://www.wrenkitchens.com/kitchens?Kenshoo_IDA=Search&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_rfvBRCPARIsANlV66P9fWahYYn1y1o9wwzg-WF0GWfYIpvOV1p-TxzDoblqB9iylDSmAv4aAk5nEALw_wcB

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2060 on: December 09, 2019, 02:29:47 pm »
 I think that the security guard may have been watching, to see if the man returned to collect the items that set off the alarm, because they would not be able to charge him with theft until he had left the building with them.   ))*
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Dave

« Reply #2061 on: December 09, 2019, 03:18:11 pm »
I think that the security guard may have been watching, to see if the man returned to collect the items that set off the alarm, because they would not be able to charge him with theft until he had left the building with them.   ))*

He'd left the building as he'd walked out of the door to set the alarm off. If you have to be clear of the covered way to count as being outside then it's plainly a ridiculous law.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2062 on: December 09, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »

Actually, that's not the case, now. The retailer has to prove intent and that can be done with video footage showing that the thief had passed the checkouts and was making their way out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2063 on: December 23, 2019, 03:09:01 pm »
We are hearing of fun and games at Asda, the parking area is full, there are queues on the main road, and they are working a one out one in system, also same system on trolleys, no one allowed in without a trolley, security must be a nightmare.

Offline Dave

« Reply #2064 on: December 23, 2019, 03:59:12 pm »
I drove past one man brazenly pushing his trolley up the road towards the rugby club. He was struggling to steer it as the back wheel was locked! That's one less available to an Asda customer.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2065 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:54 am »
We are hearing of fun and games at Asda, the parking area is full, there are queues on the main road, and they are working a one out one in system, also same system on trolleys, no one allowed in without a trolley, security must be a nightmare.

Not just Asda..

Supermarket chaos as Christmas shoppers 'brutally elbow each other' in aisles
Aldi, Tesco, Asda and Marks and Spencer shoppers describe chaotic scenes as people rush to buy last minute essentials for Christmas Day

"Just completed a tour of duty in war torn Aldi Bangor. Never again."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/supermarket-chaos-christmas-shoppers-brutally-17467916

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2066 on: December 26, 2019, 09:55:29 pm »
It's that sort of malarkey that puts me right off Christmas more and more as I get older. As if the enforced joviality of it is not enough, you see people acting like possessed consumerists on a mission and nothing can be allowed to get between them and all the stuff they need to buy. Its hideous.

Still, had a great day yesterday, nice and relexed. +}}{--

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2067 on: December 27, 2019, 09:42:23 am »
We noticed there's been a steady build-up of the hysterical and deranged passing through checkouts in the past three weeks.  Quite amusing, if you can watch from afar, but not very nice when you're forced to be there.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2068 on: January 02, 2020, 10:02:49 am »
The High Street is changing but not dying, according to the founder of the outdoor clothes chain Mountain Warehouse.  https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/stores/lla/llandudno/

Mark Neale does not subscribe to the "doom and gloom" view of the High Street, despite some big names disappearing

I like this piece of thinking.
Mr Neale added: "We love towns where there are visitors, tourists, people on a day out to the beach. If they come to the beach and it's raining, Amazon can't help them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50948451

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2069 on: January 02, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
Good point. Although they could send a brolly for the following day...   $drink$