Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638292 times)

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1830 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:06 pm »
Fortnum and Mason then they are a dead cert.
Just keep saying it and it will happen
 ;D

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1831 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:38 am »
Marks and Spencer names North Wales store closure date 10 Feb.
This is the first step by the retail giant in its plan to relocate store to a retail .

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/marks-spencer-closure-store-wales-14226110

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1832 on: January 31, 2018, 11:24:19 am »
Apparently, I believe they're taking the stores next to Debenhams and then building storeys on top.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1833 on: January 31, 2018, 03:47:34 pm »
Marks and Spencer names North Wales store closure date 10 Feb.
This is the first step by the retail giant in its plan to relocate store to a retail .

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/marks-spencer-closure-store-wales-14226110

Something Fishy here, why would you close the store, make staff redundant and then in 12-18 mths time start up all over again? Only makes sense if the current store is burning ££ and if that's the case, is the end for M&S in the town.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1834 on: January 31, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »
The article says they are keeping the staff on in the bigger store  ? 

I read recently that M&S are closing 14 stores nationwide, along with Tesco and Sainsbury reducing staff levels in the thousands, either online shopping or the German companies are hitting them hard.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1835 on: January 31, 2018, 04:01:56 pm »
Ah never really noticed there were two stores, I find their stuff overpriced for what it is so have never been a customer. Makes more sense now

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1836 on: January 31, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »
The closure relates to the well publicised demise of the satellite store at 55 Mostyn Street.  The main store will continue and menswear etc is transferring there - until, or if, the new store is built on Parc Llandudno.   I understand the lease was up on 55 and M&S had to take a decision to renew or not.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1837 on: January 31, 2018, 08:33:11 pm »
Apparently, I believe they're taking the stores next to Debenhams and then building storeys on top.

M&S taking over the stores currently occupied by Boots, Monsoon, New Look and Next.  *&(

Are you sure, Ian?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1838 on: January 31, 2018, 11:22:15 pm »

M&S taking over the stores currently occupied by Boots, Monsoon, New Look and Next.  *&(

Are you sure, Ian?

.... or are we talking a new building to the left of Debenhams, in between Debenhams and the Tudno Castle demolition?
Not a big enough site surely?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Goofey2

« Reply #1839 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:20 pm »
I understand that they are taking over the Outfit store, building another level on that, also extending the store by taking up the grassed area between Outfit and Next.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1840 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:27 am »
I feel sad for our area, I just wish we had quality stores, we don't just need crappy supermarkets and clothes  shops, be proud of Llandudno and buy the best,  who needs pound shops, Aldi and LIDIL, we are getting like Rhyl not a good plan.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1841 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:35 am »

Are you sure, Ian?

I got the information from an insider in M & S, who told me in hushed tones...  I don't believe they're taking over all the stores - just the immediately adjacent one and possibly two.

New Look is fairly large in terms of ground area, so they could take that and slap a couple of storeys on. And being next to Debenhams it would be a fit, of sorts.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1842 on: February 01, 2018, 08:55:53 am »
I feel sad for our area, I just wish we had quality stores, we don't just need crappy supermarkets and clothes  shops, be proud of Llandudno and buy the best,  who needs pound shops, Aldi and LIDIL, we are getting like Rhyl not a good plan.

Hey !! Hold your horses. Not everyone can afford or WANTS to afford the inflated prices charged by some supermarkets and stores.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1843 on: February 01, 2018, 09:06:26 am »
I'd add that there's nothing wrong with Aldi's produce, either; we've only just started investigating them and their fresh orange juice is every bit as good as Tropicana, for far less.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1844 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:02 am »
I'd add that there's nothing wrong with Aldi's produce, either; we've only just started investigating them and their fresh orange juice is every bit as good as Tropicana, for far less.
I'd disagree. We've found Aldi's fruit and veg to be not of particularly high quality. On several occasions, I've seen rotten fruit on sale there.