Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638308 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Shops ...................Food recall
« Reply #1725 on: December 19, 2016, 04:29:44 pm »
Lidl recalls gravy granules after PAINT THINNER chemical found in some batches.
The products affected are 300g packets of Kania Gravy Granules for meat and for chicken with best before dates of October and November 2017.
Other Kania products are not affected by the recall.
Lidl will display notices in all stores that sold the products, and customers are being urged to return the granules for a full refund.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lidl-recalls-gravy-granules-after-12342271

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1726 on: December 19, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »
Alternatively, simply mix the gravy granules into B & Q's non drip brown for a thinner finish...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1727 on: December 19, 2016, 06:05:34 pm »
Alternatively, simply mix the gravy granules into B & Q's non drip brown for a thinner finish...

Matt or gloss?  ;)

Offline Dave

« Reply #1728 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:47 am »
I moaned about some restaurants serving meals on pieces of slate, it's only appropriate that the contents of the meal carry on the home construction theme I guess.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1729 on: December 24, 2016, 10:54:49 am »
Co-op recalls chocolate Santa figures after BATTERIES found in two.
Co-op has announced a nationwide recall of 165,000 hollow milk chocolate Santa figures after two alleged tampering incidents.
A spokesperson for the Co-op said two of the chocolate figures had been found to contain a small button-cell battery.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/co-op-recalls-chocolate-santa-12364226#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1730 on: January 05, 2017, 06:11:02 pm »
Retailer Wilko hopes to open a new store in Llandudno by the summer.

The Daily Post revealed last year that the owners of Mostyn Champneys wanted to accommodate the chain at the retail park - creating 60 new jobs.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/wilko-hopes-llandudno-store-open-12412191

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1731 on: January 06, 2017, 09:20:40 am »

The Daily Post revealed last year that the owners of Mostyn Champneys wanted to accommodate the chain at the retail park - creating 60 new jobs.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/wilko-hopes-llandudno-store-open-12412191
Isn't that just the same rubbish that you can buy in Home Bargains and B&M already?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1732 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:38 am »
But it might be a better class of rubbish...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1733 on: January 06, 2017, 10:16:44 am »

Isn't that just the same rubbish that you can buy in Home Bargains and B&M already?

Never mind rubbish:- B&M sell quite a lot of quality items at as much as £2.50 less in price. I know your horror of instant coffee, but Nescafe Gold Blend is £4.49 a jar against £7.00 at times in Asda. Same for a large bag of Spiller's Shapes. £1.00 less than any where else.
Ignore the rubbish, because yes they both sell it, but if you mind your pennies, it is certainly worth a look !
Look after the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1734 on: January 06, 2017, 05:10:23 pm »
There's a lot of snobbery in shopping it seems!
Not everything in Home Bargains, B&M et al is actually cheaper than you can buy elsewhere but there again, a lot is, and lots of the products are big brand names too. We buy all our sun screens in Home Bargains, way cheaper, as well as other bit and bobs. I think they often get offered over production lines, especially on products that have failed to meet the sales figures that the big multiples demand and consequently get discontinued.Trouble is they won't be there next time!
Aldi and Lidl on the other hand are largely own label but the quality is outstanding and that's as good a reason to shop there as the fact the prices are cheaper too.
Lidl have one of the best adverts I have seen for some time at the moment. Really make the point well.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/18641.htm?ar=9

I once challenged my late Mum to a blind taste test on some of her favourite groceries and in nearly every case she chose the Aldi product over the well known brand. I persuaded her to buy some for herself but next time I visited she still had the Aldi products unopened and had carried on buying the branded ones. Never could understand it but I sure it was something to do with self esteem!
In the early days when Lidl and Aldi stores were built in Germany I'm told the car park was always at the rear of the store so customers didn't have to be seen shopping there. When Lidl opened in Colwyn Bay some years ago the clientele usually drove an old banger, nowadays you are just as likely to see a brand new BMW or Merc.
Mind you, might be the same people, just spending the savings on a new motor!

Offline mull

« Reply #1735 on: January 06, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »
Hope nobody has bought any dog chews on sale in B&M .

Some of these are made in China and have caused kidney failure . Be carefull out there.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1736 on: January 06, 2017, 06:22:42 pm »
Wilko's have a much better range of Xmas trimmings than any of the others!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1737 on: January 06, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »
Well said Dave. It tickles me to death when I go to Aldi ( most weeks ) when I see rather well dressed people scuttling around in there as though they are frightened of someone seeing them buying anything ! They usually end up at the till with a trolley load of good value foods. Wonder if they do like your Mum or actually use their purchases.
You are also correct about the vehicles that they are loading, smart and tidy, not old bangers full of last year's takeaway boxes and nasty old tissues.
Happy Shopping.....and remember some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing..........................see you in Aldi?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1738 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31:10 am »
Butcher Tony Doyle's Quality Meats calls in liquidators
The company is one of the biggest butcher's in North Wales with mobile vans and shops.
Tony’s Meats Ltd, which trades as Tony Doyle's Quality Meats, runs around a dozen mobile meat trucks across the region with retail premises in Kinmel Bay and Llandudno.
But the company with its base at Tir Llwyd Industrial Estate, Kinmel Bay has called in liquidators.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/butcher-tony-doyles-quality-meats-12617726

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1739 on: February 17, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »
Over the last week I have become aware of 6 separate businesses who are closing down in the next few months. (i.e. when the lease ends)
In general they are in central Llandudno, Clonmel St, Madoc Street and St George's place.
In addition, several more of the pier concessions will be available to rent in 2017
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -