Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 644722 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1470 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:51 pm »
Give the staff a break, why must everything be open all the time? If you haven't had a chance to do your shopping in the other 6 days and the 6 hours on a Sunday then you don't deserve your shopping. Ban football on a Sunday as well $good$

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #1471 on: August 05, 2015, 07:24:51 pm »
If you cannot cope with the current opening hours you must have a very disorganized lifestyle.....bring back half day closing in the week I say!!

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1472 on: August 05, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »
What was the point of trying to push water up hill. If a shop wanted to open for extended hours on a Sunday they just stocked Newspapers to get around the existing law. This is facing up to the reality of what has already happened and the modern world we now live in. Good or bad who's to judge, all I know is when they de-regularised licencing hours I was able to choose when I went for a drink and not have some bureaucrat or sanctimonious God bother'er tell me. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1473 on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:08 am »
It's an interesting one. But I can't see how they can justify their claim that it could be worth "£1.4bn to the economy". Surely there'll only be the same amount of cash to splurge?

But it does pose the wider question of whether a Sunday should return to the more peaceful day of yore. Having said that Police, NHS staff, Hotel workers and many others don't get every Sunday off.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #1474 on: August 06, 2015, 11:36:39 am »
Personally I think that it is all about choice - choice for the retailer, shopper and worker.  Current sunday trading laws do not support these choices for the retailer or the shopper, although it does support the right of the worker on Sunday - every worker has the right to opt out of Sunday working giving 12 weeks notice, without being discriminated against.  In Scotland they are already deregulated and some big shops trade from 10 - 6, in line I guess with what customers want.  One of the key aspects of retailing is being there when your customers want to shop.  I would suggest that customers are already demonstrating that Sunday is when they are wanting to do this.  An article I have read specifies transactions are growing faster on a Sunday than any other day - from memory I think it was a card companies data.  I also know from specific experience that Sunday is the biggest percentage growth day of the week, and £ per hour can outstrip most weekdays.  Removing customers from shops at the end of Sunday trading is difficult too, demonstrating too the demand for longer hours.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1475 on: August 06, 2015, 12:32:44 pm »
I don't understand it all. If on a very rare occasion we have needed something after 6 on a Sunday there is always Spar and Londis type shops open till late.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1476 on: August 06, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »
Sunday shopping could be getting more of a "Day out" .....or joint decisions on household items furniture etc. also in Llandudno's case out of town shoppers, couple of weeks ago I saw a mini bus unloading a group, outside TK Max   &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1477 on: August 07, 2015, 09:16:09 am »
Ministers are reported to be writing to the Church of England urging it not to oppose the measures which they argue could be worth up to £1.4 billion a year to the economy while ensuring high streets remain the "heartbeat of our communities".
Why should an unelected body have any say in law making?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1478 on: August 07, 2015, 10:20:20 am »

That's a thorny question, since many support the House of Lords and because we don't live in a society where our lawmakers are truly representational. If we did, the government would have a very different appearance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1479 on: August 07, 2015, 11:57:19 am »

That's a thorny question, since many support the House of Lords and because we don't live in a society where our lawmakers are truly representational. If we did, the government would have a very different appearance.
The House of Lords can act as a useful means of moderating proposed laws. However, we need to rid it of all the political and religious cronies and make it a truly independent elected body.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1480 on: August 07, 2015, 12:47:38 pm »
On that we agree, but I fear it's an impossible task.

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #1481 on: August 07, 2015, 01:40:59 pm »
Thorny and thornier still - I'm an avowed atheist, but see nothing wrong in the CoE expressing an opinion over upcoming legislation or regulation, so long as they do not expect to have a disproportionate effect on the making of that law (which, granted, they are an established church so do have more clout than they ought etc). Like any other clump of people or institution, it has a particular worldview which it wishes to advance and, though I may disagree with it, I respect the church's right to put it forward.

Likewise, I'm sure all sorts of charities put their views forward when it comes to legislation, even though they are not democratically elected.

That said, we live in an increasingly secular society where church attendances are dropping - Sunday is no longer just a day of worship and peace. The pace of life e'er changes.

That said, even though I'm an atheist, I appreciate the comparative break Sunday brings and feel sorry for all those retail workers who will not be able to contest this. While it may give some choice and leg-room for the likes of Tesco et al, individual workers will have little to no choice over their hours - thus, they are likely to be robbed of what little peace they get on Sundays. Shame, really.

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #1482 on: August 07, 2015, 04:26:15 pm »
Sorry Jonty, retail workers can opt out of Sunday working completely  - special law for all retail and betting shop staff.  They can opt out giving 12 weeks notice unless they joined prior to 1994 (I think) when they don't even have to opt out.  Opting out must be at no consequence to staff.  The only time they can't of out is if they have been employed on a Sunday only contract, in which case this implies they wanted to work anyway.  At the moment workers who wish to work Sundays are limited by the trading laws minimising their potential hours!  I just can't see the issue, most stores will naturally choose to only extend their trading hours profitably, so will only look to trade probably another couple of hours anyway. For those who don't like the idea of this, then it's simple - don't shop in those hours.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, to me it's about choice - to deregulate gives the retailer, the shopper and the worker more choice.  How can this be a bad thing?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1483 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:18 pm »
Heard that Mostyn estates had bought the Victoria center,it sure needs a coat of paint on the veranda;s.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1484 on: August 25, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
Get your quote in Wrex .