Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638927 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
This closure will probably only leave M&S, Greenwoods and WH Smiths in (and just off) Mostyn Street as shops left from my childhood during the fifties.

I wonder have I missed one?   ?{}?

What about Clare's and Marie et Ci?  I know the latter is now M & Co but some people still use the old name. 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2011, 06:42:24 pm »
Clares may still say Clares but it is now under different ownership than the founder's family.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:53 am »
This closure will probably only leave M&S, Greenwoods and WH Smiths in (and just off) Mostyn Street as shops left from my childhood during the fifties.

I wonder have I missed one?   ?{}?

What about Clare's and Marie et Ci?  I know the latter is now M & Co but some people still use the old name.

I will agree with Clare’s as it is still there but, Blodyn, I cannot accept Marie et Cie because it has definitely gone.

What about Searle’s the opticians down by the Savoy cinema?

I didn’t need specs in the fifties so I cannot remember how long Searle's have been established in Mostyn Street.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2011, 08:14:57 am »
Lots of activity in the old Bay Trading shop lately, it's currently being refurbished inside and out - is a tenant on the way in?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2011, 10:54:34 am »
It also looks as if the RNLI will shortly be moving into one of those two new shops across the road from Harmony House in St George's Place.

Offline dogstail

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:17 pm »
Iceland is no longer shutting, and will be staying open.  I just feel sorry for all the staff that left when really they had no need to, hope they are happy wherever they are.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
Lots of activity in the old Bay Trading shop lately, it's currently being refurbished inside and out - is a tenant on the way in?

Wasn't that the Past-Times seasonal store, open only until Xmas last year?
Maybe it will be the same again.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2011, 08:19:44 am »

Wasn't that the Past-Times seasonal store, open only until Xmas last year?
Maybe it will be the same again.
Possibly but the work looks a bit more comprehensive than for a casual tenant. Maybe its just the Landlord sprucing it up to try and make it more attractive.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2011, 08:20:53 am »
??? I find it hard to understand how DFS have not filled their job vacancies for the Llandudno store, they seem to have been advertising these jobs for months yet still advertising today ,weird. ZXZ

Have you seen the scale of the alterations still being carried out?

Perhaps, DFS are unable to say when they hope to be open.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:17 am »
Iceland is no longer shutting, and will be staying open.  I just feel sorry for all the staff that left when really they had no need to, hope they are happy wherever they are.

"A spokeswoman for Iceland commented: “We can confirm that the Iceland store at Mostyn Champney Retail Park was due to close on November 5 due to heavy overheads. However, after discussions with the landlords we are delighted to be able to confirm that we will be remaining open and that the store will be refitted in the very near future."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/10/28/llandudno-s-iceland-supermarket-to-stay-55578-29675933/

Offline Jack

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »
Anyone heard of an antique furniture warehouse opening next week in the former Ball and Boyd building?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
Yes I was told about 10 days ago and when I offered a free plug on the forum I was turned down !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2011, 01:39:31 pm »
Nemesis that was'ent very nice, especially to a kind lady like you. Don't they know that there is no such thing as bad publicity (except of course cafes and bad public health inspections)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2011, 02:57:34 pm »
Yes I was told about 10 days ago and when I offered a free plug on the forum I was turned down !
A new business that turns down free advertising? Amazing.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
mmmm that's what I thought !
And thanks for the compliment Mike  :-*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.