Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336376 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:29 pm »
Sorry to miss your claim to fame DVT and the garden but well done.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #766 on: April 15, 2017, 12:20:13 pm »
I was a bit late cutting the grass last year and noticed that there were dozens of small Cowslips in the lawn. Normally I would just mow over them but I picked out a few and placed them in a spot in the garden and they seem to be doing ok so this morning I've picked up a few more and will do the same again.
The Pieris has started to turn red and looks all right from one side but on the other side is a Calico Bush which was grown too close to it.    I could do with a few lessons on gardening  from DVT  but couldn't afford his commission now that he's reached celebrity status on TV     ;D

Offline DVT

« Reply #767 on: April 15, 2017, 05:33:04 pm »
Gardening is something I don't do but certainly learning a lot about the plants.  Gardeners at Bodnant are always very helpful with identification and advice!  I get to wander all day enjoying their work!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #768 on: April 15, 2017, 11:08:50 pm »
You're a lucky guy DVT  to be working in such a nice office, good luck to you and I might see you there one day.     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #769 on: April 16, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »
Every year I put combings from my dog Marco into the garden in March and April for the Crows and Jackdaws and other birds to come and take away for their nest building.    This year was no exception and over the weeks I have put the combings in the garden until the supply ran out.
Recently I've noticed soil on the floor underneath some wall baskets I use for planting Geraniums but thought no more about it until I caught the culprits at it today.     A pair of Crows were tugging away at the lining of the wall brackets and have done a good job because the lining now has all but gone.
I won't get some new material until the nesting season has finished

Offline hollins

« Reply #770 on: April 23, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »
Blossom weekend.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #771 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:33 pm »
Spring is such a nice season when everything is coming back to life, lovely photos Hollins.           $good$ 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #772 on: May 04, 2017, 08:19:29 pm »
The warm sunny weather this week has started to make  the Rhododendrons come into flower

Offline hollins

« Reply #773 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05:59 am »
On Friday we visited the one time home of Clough Williams Ellis, Plas Brondanw.
Well worth a visit to see the gardens, house and grounds full of his favourite features!

Offline hollins

« Reply #774 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:29 am »
Plas Brondanw.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #775 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:51 pm »
Looks Lovely!   $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #776 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:15 pm »
It's officially been declared today that Bodnant's Laburnum Arch is now in full flower - probably be at it's full best early next week - earlier than last year so hopefully no-one gets caught out and misses it!  We are seeing record numbers of visitors lately so get there early to view.  Looks as though I may need to be there more than my current two days!

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodnant-garden

The film of Daphne du Maurier's classic "My Cousin Rachel" is due for release next month - the plot involves laburnum seeds - the seeds used in the scenes were supplied by Bodnant last year.  We expect the final credits to include "Starring Rachel Weiss ... poisoning by Bodnant" !!!

Offline hollins

« Reply #777 on: May 24, 2017, 06:57:15 pm »
Iris week.

Offline hollins

« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2017, 09:21:17 am »
A few pics from Plas Cadnant Hidden Garden.
Well worth a visit.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #779 on: June 09, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »
I had been doing a lot of garden clearance work in a neighbours garden recently so consequently I've neglected my own lawn and the grass had grown a bit.
When I got the lawn mower out and started mowing the lawn I noticed this Orchid popping up above the grass so it's had a temporary reprieve from the lawn mower!