Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 340765 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #705 on: June 12, 2016, 02:13:52 pm »
That's a shame Hollins because all your other Clematis all look very good and healthy.   The one you lost is the Montana variety, the same as the one we have on our shed.
I don't know much about Clematis but I bet DVT  will have an answer for you.    There is a thing called Clematis wilt which occurs sometimes without any warning but it normally goes for the larger flowering types and the smaller ones like the Montana ones are more resilient to the disease.
I believe that Clematis don't like dry conditions or having the bottom of the stem exposed to the Sun but there may be a number of reasons that may affect them.
I hope that you get the answer you are looking for because your garden always looks so nice and it's rather sad when you lose such a nice plant like that

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #706 on: June 19, 2016, 01:38:04 pm »
World’s top 10 most exotic plants and where you can find them in Wales.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/worlds-top-10-most-exotic-11490419

Offline hollins

« Reply #707 on: June 19, 2016, 04:10:20 pm »
It's delphinium city here this week!

Offline DVT

« Reply #708 on: June 19, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »
Hello to Hollins ... just saw the post by Hugo a few days ago so have tried to find the answer for you - I am certainly not a gardening expert, just someone who appreciates all the work that goes into them, although have learnt a lot during my six weeks at Bodnant!

Anyway, I got hold of the expert at Bodnant and described what you had said - seems the Bodnant clematis plants sometimes do the same thing - just die off without warning.  Clematis wilt was mentioned, as well as exposure to the sun.  Another possibility is that the bark low down has been damaged in some way - could be slugs/snails or a break due to wind - as the outer bark contains the "feeding tubes" of the plant and by damaging them there is no way that the food can get to the rest of the plant (this also applies to many other trees and shrubs).

Sorry cannot be any more helpful than that.  Hope you can find the cause from the above comments, and sort out a replacement if necessary.

Offline hollins

« Reply #709 on: June 19, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
Many thanks to DVT and Hugo. Excellent replies and most appreciated. We will investigate!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #710 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »
I put a large broken terracotta pot over the bottom part of my Montana so the Sun couldn't get at the roots or base of the plant and it is doing very well.
Having said that my large flowering Clematis which is exposed to the Sun for a lot of the day has no cover whatsoever and is also doing ok so I don't know the answer.
I've also read that you prune one type of Clematis ( can't remember whether it's the large or small flowered variety)  but I don't bother pruning any of them.   

Offline hollins

« Reply #711 on: June 23, 2016, 08:17:36 pm »
Visited Bodnant today and sorry we didn't see you DVT.
The laburnum arch had died back but still looked impressive. The highlights were the blue mecanopsis, the water lilies and the roses. We were impressed with what they have done at the "Far End" where the lake and the boat house is.
I really liked the way they had planted the water lilies at the pin mill pond at either end in cream and bright pink. It looked very pretty and I managed to get the bright blue flies in the photo. There were loads of them there. What are they?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #712 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »
Superb photos Hollins.   

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #713 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:29 pm »
 Common Blue Damselflies

Offline DVT

« Reply #714 on: June 24, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
Sorry Hollins, wasn't on duty yesterday (Thursday) and did my last laburnum archer stint this morning, but I am planning to return next week as an "ordinary" volunteer!!!

The laburnum has almost gone over although digital photos are still bringing out the yellow in it.  There was a bed of dark blue mecanopsis near the pin mill, but gone over.

Roses and water lilies now at their best, I spent Wednesday afternoon listing all the varieties in the rose beds!

The damsel-flies are plentiful, there are a few yellow ones as well.  When we had the pond dipping for the kids a couple of weeks ago plenty of their larvae were pulled out of the pond (and put back).  Down in the dell you could have seen the electric blue demoiselle caddis flies, very stunning, and if very lucky the emperor dragon-flies.

First thing this morning I took a walk to the far end, saw the female shelduck with five ducklings, Canada geese with their one remaining offspring (it is suspected that mink has taken the other two) and a rare sight, a family of goldcrests.  Didn't see the kingfisher which I did catch a quick sighting of last week!

I was thinking to myself as I was there that I'd like to go back 50 years and start my working life again, but this time I'd try and get to work in the gardens (but not as a gardener!) - can but dream!!!  My father and great-grandfather worked for Bodnant Estate, grandfather worked on the estate and surrounding area as a postman!  Hopefully get close to that dream as a guide in the coming weeks.

Offline hollins

« Reply #715 on: June 24, 2016, 04:11:50 pm »
Thanks snowcap and DVT.

It was a pity we didn't meet you DVT because you are obviously very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the place.
Like Hugo said we are so lucky to have this attraction so near to us.
I wish you all the best with your next phase of volunteering and look forward to your updates.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #716 on: June 24, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »
Good luck with your dream DVT  that's certainly a nice office to work in and keeping the family tradition going.      $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #717 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:45 pm »
Some years ago I planted a Hosta in a very large pot, it's in the wrong spot but seems to be doing ok and at least the slugs and snails haven't bothered it.   Apart from that it's far too heavy to move so it's going to have to stay where it is.
One shrub I like is the Kalmia Latifolia  aka   Calico Bush, it's now in flower but these will finish soon.    I have no idea how you should prune these bushes but I just use my hedge cutters and hope for the best and it seems to respond to this hard pruning.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #718 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:42 pm »
I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem with Camellias this year.    I have about five Camillia bushes in the garden and not one has flowered this year, in fact there isn't a single bud on any of the bushes which normally all flower every year.
If they still haven't flowered by the time I get the hedge cutter out in July they are going to get severely pruned.

Offline hollins

« Reply #719 on: July 20, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »
Just picked these from the garden.
Happy Days!