Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336425 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #690 on: May 30, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »
Seems Hugo has a mini Bodnant of his own!

The Laburnum Arch is almost complete - give it a couple more days!!!  Over 3000 visitors yesterday (Sunday 29th) and today (Monday 30th) was up to 1500 when I finished my stint of duty at 1pm.  Plenty of colour throughout and the visitors have really been overwhelmed by the colours throughout the garden.

Gardeners World were in filming last Thursday - 12 hours on site for 5 minutes on the programme this Friday (3rd) - BBC2 at 8.30pm - you may catch me in the background but I suspect will be edited out!!!

On duty tomorrow (Tuesday 31st) to assist with the kids pond-dipping but then not in until next Monday due to prior commitments with the Three Castles Classic Rally.  Wonderful gardens and classic cars - this isn't work, it's sheer enjoyment!!!

Hope you all visit, well worth it!  I have met one forum member (big bad henry)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:38 am »
You're so lucky to be working in such a beautiful environment DVT,  not many people have an office like that.

That Laburnum arch is always spectacular to see and I read in the NWWN that some of your team went to the Happy Valley in Llandudno to work on the Laburnum arch there.  It has been a few years since I saw the Laburnum arch in Happy Valley but it looked good at the time.

I don't know what conditions make the Laburnum so special when in flower, but last year we had hardly any flowers on the tree and in fact we thought it was dying.  This year though, the flowers have been particularly good so perhaps the weather is a factor in how it flowers.

Offline DVT

« Reply #692 on: June 02, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »
I'm not at Bodnant for a few days due to commitments with the Three Castles Classic Rally, but will be back on Sunday afternoon ... the arch is expected to be at its very best this weekend and everyone expects it to be hectic as Bodnant is being featured on Gardeners World tomorrow (3rd) BBC2 at 2030 hours.

Offline hollins

« Reply #693 on: June 02, 2016, 07:31:07 pm »
Fabulous DVT, thanks. Good luck with your rally job also. Hope the weather stays like this for everyone.

Offline DVT

« Reply #694 on: June 02, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »
A bit more info about the random pics I posted!

Top left - the Chilean Fire-Tree - I know of three, one a very large bushy one which is a blaze of red.
Top centre - the male of a pair of tame pheasants
Top right - Wisteria on the terrace steps

Centre left - Himalayan Blue Poppy - there are not many truly blue plants but this is splendid.
Centre centre - don't know what this is - must find out - there is also a blue version.
Centre right - view from Furnace Woods towards the house - the woods are opening to the public in 2017 - see the deature in today's Daily Post about the "penjellick walk"

Bottom left - the conifer closest was planted by HM The Queen in 1977, and the next one was planted by Prince Philip - suspect they're grown a bit since then!
Bottom centre - the Chinese handkerchief tree that is often asked about - this is the smaller one of two in the glades - some say it's their best year yet.
Bottom right - giant sequoia in the glades - a tree-creeper is nesting in a crack in the bark!

Laburnum arch - that picture doesn't do it justice - taken on my phone camera early before it got crowded!  The light continually changes throughout the day and when in full sunlight it glows all the way!

If you do visit, and it's well worth it, say hello if I'm on duty - I go under the name of Dave T and am one of the yellow "archers"!!!

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #695 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:38 am »
saw the laburnum arch on the news at six tonight, mine as started to lose its petals already, what a mess to pick up but lovely to see all the same

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #696 on: June 03, 2016, 11:20:46 am »
Great photos Dave T , I saw the "penjellick walk" article in the Pioneer,I thought you must be doing such a great job that they are giving you another 100mtrs  ;)   

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/162794/gallery-new-plans-unveiled-for-bodnant-garden-expansion.aspx

Offline Hugo

« Reply #697 on: June 03, 2016, 12:15:53 pm »
saw the laburnum arch on the news at six tonight, mine as started to lose its petals already, what a mess to pick up but lovely to see all the same

You are right Snowcap, I only have the one Laburnum tree and it's a mess afterwards.   I mow all the petals up but I still manage to fill two or three green bags with the flowers.      The flowers and the scent from them make it really worthwhile   

Offline DVT

« Reply #698 on: June 03, 2016, 09:42:59 pm »
Imagine clearing up the laburnum arch after flowering - 64 trees and 10000 flowers!

I did make it onto Gardeners World - they got my best side ...

Offline DVT

« Reply #699 on: June 06, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »
The laburnum arch today (June 6) now in its full glory.  Hopefully the sunshine and showers will keep it well groomed for the next two or three weeks.

2700 visitors today (Monday), about 4000 yesterday (Sunday) - this pic was taken late afternoon!

Offline hollins

« Reply #700 on: June 06, 2016, 10:29:29 pm »
Incredible!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #701 on: June 08, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »
Visit Bodnant's pop up garden at Llandudno promenade this weekend

THIS weekend, Bodnant Garden will be hosting a mini-garden by the sea on Llandudno promenade, complete with deck chairs, lemonade and cake.

The team will showcase the wide variety of plants from across the world that are grown and looked after at Bodnant Garden- including American redwoods and Asian rhododendrons.

Visit the promenade from 10am and the team will provide the opportunity for passers-by to know more about the worldly plants they look after at the garden, that you can visit this summer.

The pop-up comes as National Trust Wales launch their latest campaign to encourage the people of Wales to explore the four corners of the globe without leaving Wales – by visiting National Trust gardens across the country.

Bodnant Garden are also looking for volunteers, to help in a host of roles from guides to gardeners. Visit the pop-up garden to find out more information ref pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #702 on: June 10, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »
More than 20,000 people visited Bodnant Garden in the first week in June making it the attraction’s busiest week in history.

Fine weather at the stunning garden saw visitors flock to the attraction National Trust garden near Conwy.
The week saw an average of 363 visitors walking through the gardens gates every hour, with that figure rising to more than 700 visitors per hour at peak times.

The garden also received more than 7,000 visitors over the weekend – another record – and enjoyed its best-ever late night opening, with more than 500 evening visitors – many of those bringing their dogs for Wag Wednesday walkies.
Bodnant Garden general manager William Greenwood said: “Crowds have flocked to see the famous Laburnum Arch in spectacular June sunshine.
Mr Greenwood continued: “This year we’ve pulled out all the stops to make the June experience a memorable one for everyone, opening the garden gates early, and late, and offering breakfasts in the tearoom for early birds.

“We’ve also recruited a team of special volunteers,     $good$    Laburnum Archers,   $good$   to help visitors coming here for the flowering spectacle, which normally attracts around 50,000 people over three weeks in June but the way things are going we could well break that record by the end of the month too.”
MORE  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwys-bodnant-garden-best-ever-11454331

Offline Hugo

« Reply #703 on: June 10, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
Bodnant Gardens is a credit to everyone involved and we are so lucky to this beautiful place so near to us.     $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #704 on: June 12, 2016, 01:56:56 pm »
The first photo is a bit of a sad one as we have lost a clematis again. Top half was last year and bottom half this year.
We seem to lose at least one each year and no idea why because they have died after cold winters and mild ones. Does anyone have any ideas?
I think the one that died was Clematis Montana and fortunately we still have another one on a different wall which you can see in the middle of the second photo. This pic shows the ones that are out in flower this week.