Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 340587 times)

Hammy and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #675 on: April 07, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »
I am the third owner of the house that I live in and years ago  kept in touch with the original owner of the property.   I remember telling him that I had dug up the old woody roses that were in my garden window box and chucked them in the bin.
I then wished that I hadn't said anything as he said that they were the only Roses in North Wales that came from Charles Dickens' garden and he would have liked them for himself.      :-[
They weren't very nice looking though and when I pricked my finger on one of the thorns then they just had to go!

We are only the 5th owners of our property, which seems amazing as it was built in the late 1840s. All the previous owners have now passed away, but have had some interesting conversations with their families. Apparently some of the past owners grew enough veg. in the back to feed the whole house, before the construction of the garage and car park.!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #676 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:44 pm »
The warmth of the last few days has brought the buds on this bush into flower, but our large Rhodendrons show no sign of coming into flower just yet.

Offline hollins

« Reply #677 on: April 22, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »
Looks lovely Hugo. Our first rhododendron is on its way out and we also have this large magnolia tree in flower at the moment.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2016, 04:42:23 pm »
After the snow, sleet, hail and rain we had on Saturday, yesterday was the first day that I could mow the lawn.    After a few hours and four bags of grass cuttings later the lawns looked good.
Today they still looked good in the sunny weather, but there were dozens of Dandelion flowers all over the place.   They  seem to have popped up overnight, just wish our flowers would do the same.         :rage:

Offline hollins

« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2016, 05:05:13 pm »
Not noticed much in the dandelion department here but some lovely blue things appearing. Can't wait for the next month or so when the garden really gets going.

Offline DVT

« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:17 pm »
Spent this morning in my new "job" as a "Laburnum Archer" in Bodnant!  Extra volunteers were required to deal with the expected high number of visitors and, as I have a long link to Bodnant, I decided to become one of them.  Surprisingly busy this morning in the sunshine!

The first three laburnum flowers are now out, only a few thousand more to go!  Plenty of colour with rhododendrons, azaleas, tulips, magnolias and other plants.  The next few weeks will be the best, so hopefully some good weather to match!

Offline hollins

« Reply #681 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »
Well done you. Good luck!
 We arrived there at 4.50pm the other day and were disappointed to find that it closed at 5. I thought it might be open later at this time of year when it is in its full glory.

Offline DVT

« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2016, 09:23:33 am »
Sorry you couldn't get in - but next week and week after will be the arch in full glory.  Bodnant Gardens will be open until 8pm on Wednesdays, dogs are also permitted between 5pm and 8pm (not loose, short leads please!).  Other days it will be 9am to 5pm.

Check out their website for full info www.bodnant-garden.co.uk !!

Offline hollins

« Reply #683 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:27 am »
Thanks and good luck with the job!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #684 on: May 18, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
The recent spell of good weather has now brought out our Rhododendrons into flower

Offline hollins

« Reply #685 on: May 18, 2016, 02:54:26 pm »
So lovely Hugo. Must go to Bodnant and check on how DVT is getting along!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #686 on: May 18, 2016, 03:05:14 pm »

Offline hollins

« Reply #687 on: May 18, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »
I bet that is lovely too. Have you been there before Hugo?
This is what is out in our garden today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #688 on: May 18, 2016, 05:18:08 pm »
I haven't been to Garthewin before but the photos of the garden look really good.    With all the lovely photos of the plants in your garden and the animals that visit it too, I had you down for living on an estate something like Bodnant or Garthewin.    ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #689 on: May 30, 2016, 06:37:35 pm »
This last week has brought the Clematis on and there's a shed underneath all that lot.