Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 340363 times)

Offline squiggle

Re: Gardening
« Reply #660 on: March 07, 2016, 09:19:03 am »
Summer seems so far away at present but this little clip of an English Country garden makes it seem nearer.   I  remember the song the first time around too but that was ages ago!

I've just been trying to find out how old the song really is.  The tune is a old dance tune which was popularised by a Percy Grainger piano arrangement but I found nothing definite about the words, except the list of birds in the lyrics I've found fit a North American garden rather than an English one:

Bobolink, cuckoo and quail
Tanager and cardinal
Bluebird, lark, thrush and nightingale

I guess for this time of year, we could (if it wasn't so cold and wet here)  go Welsh here with Moliannwn

Now lads, we give praise
The spring has arrived
The winter and coldness has passed
The trees will be wearing their leaves
And the fair warmth of the sun
And the lambs to frolic in the meadows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xUOTe_dqI

Back to our garden. I want to get the sweet peppers and aubergines started in the propagator this week.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #661 on: March 07, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »
Some of the Polyanthus plants that I got from Talgoed Nursery in Glan Conwy.       3O plants for £15.00 and they add a bit of colour to the garden at this time of the year.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #662 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:04 pm »
We did the same on Friday last, good plants and as you say Hugo, they add colour.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #663 on: March 07, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »
I only really do the greenhouses and some other salad things but will be growing some plants from seed for my mother:

Marigolds.  I've done them for the past few years and look well with/ are supposed to be good companions for the things in the veg area round the back.

Sweet William to go in the mostly perennial border in the front to fill some gaps and add some colour.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: March 13, 2016, 09:37:22 am »
Yesterday Tellytubby and I visited Talgoed Nursery in Glan Conwy and the Polyanthus were now £10.00 for 2 trays.   After a nice hot chocolate there Tellytubby came away with two trays, thats 30 good plants for £10.00.    $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #665 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:10 pm »
Some signs of spring on this lovely day.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #666 on: March 19, 2016, 05:11:24 pm »
I've assembled a small 2 shelf staging stand for my mother this afternoon. It took me the best part of 2 hrs!  Some of the reason for it taking so long was I'd missed something in the not so clear instructions and near the end of assembly, I found a part was upside down – I had to undo a fair bit to correct this.  Still, I think its green coated aluminium looks good and (unlike the wooden one replaced – they never seem to last that long) should last and mother is happy.

I only got round to getting the heated propogator out yesterday.  I'm letting the compost warm up first but I'll (at last…) get the peppers (Topepo Rosso – a sweet pimento type – I do better with these than bell peppers) and aubergines (Hansel – on of the types you can pick small and is well suited to our small greenhouses) in tomorrow.

We bought a printer to print laminated labels mostly (I've a few other things I want to use it for) with gardening in mind.  We also got some plastic sticks to go in plant pots, to suit the 12mm tape. I've only just worked out the cost. 7p per stick and if I'm to guess the average length of tape used per label is 40mm, around 7p worth of tape. So 14p per labelled stick.  Some of the sticks will be reused though and we'll switch to “compatible” tape (Amazon has some in packs of 5 at £3 per cartridge compared to the £13 we paid for one genuine Brother cartridge) in future.

It won' be that long now before my windowsill and the porch are full of plants waiting to go out to the greenhouses – I aim for 1st May for that.  We only buy small packs (say avg 10-20 seeds) of seeds and I usually plant the whole packets where (eg. with the Ailsa Craig and Roma tomatoes for the greenhouse) I may only want 4-6 plants. There always seems to be people who will eg. be happy to take a couple of spare tomato plants.

Offline hollins

« Reply #667 on: March 20, 2016, 10:41:39 am »
Mr H has been busy germinating seeds for us too.
I can't wait for sweet pea time to come around again.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #668 on: March 20, 2016, 12:02:10 pm »
Mr H has been busy germinating seeds for us too.
I can't wait for sweet pea time to come around again.

My mother buys the sweet peas (and most other flowers) as plants.  I'm pretty sure that a Thomson and Morgan box of sweet pea plug plants arrived on Saturday.

She is fond of them too and tells me (I've a poor sense of smell...) they have a lovely scent which with some varieties can be quite strong.   Again, there will be vases of the cut flowers in the house later in the year.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #669 on: March 21, 2016, 03:27:36 pm »
Lots of Sweet Pea plants out the back of M & B plus lots of the other spring varities as well at very reasonable prices *tumble*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2016, 01:11:56 pm »
No need to water the garden today is the best thing that I can say about the Easter Sunday weather!

Offline hollins

« Reply #671 on: April 07, 2016, 02:38:45 pm »
Back home to spring.
These are in memory of the lady that planted this garden who passed away recently.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #672 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:12 pm »
Her memory lasts on in more ways than one so that's really nice.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #673 on: April 07, 2016, 03:42:03 pm »
I am the third owner of the house that I live in and years ago  kept in touch with the original owner of the property.   I remember telling him that I had dug up the old woody roses that were in my garden window box and chucked them in the bin.
I then wished that I hadn't said anything as he said that they were the only Roses in North Wales that came from Charles Dickens' garden and he would have liked them for himself.      :-[
They weren't very nice looking though and when I pricked my finger on one of the thorns then they just had to go!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #674 on: April 07, 2016, 03:44:28 pm »
Some photos from the garden today