Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 341303 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Gardening
« Reply #570 on: November 14, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
Very bad for the blood pressure,  and mine is 'through the roof', apparently.   &shake& &shake&

I have just been informed of this in the last hour!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #571 on: November 14, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »
I blame Ian and Dave R. for building your hopes up offering you that refund. You must be in a right state trying to hide it from Mrs. Fester

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2014, 07:39:13 am »
I blame Ian and Dave R. for building your hopes up offering you that refund

Mea Culpa, and Fester's been having several drinks to calm himself down and reduce the pressure...  WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
Yum ! Stollen---the stollen mini bites are a lovely mouthful too. I also see that Iceland are selling exotic meats.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #574 on: November 15, 2014, 01:25:24 pm »
Kangaroo!  Yummy!   ;D

And Ostrich!  Mmmmmmm!   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #575 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »
I saw these "Bear's Breeches" in the Chateau Rhianfa grounds on Sunday and it's the first time I have ever seen the leaves without any mould on them.
Mine last for a month or so but then become infected with a type of mildew and I just cut the leaves off and leave the spikey flower alone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #576 on: December 03, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »
I haven't planted all my Daffodil bulbs yet as the Geraniums are still flowering and I haven't got the heart to pull them out of the pots while there is so much colour in the garden.
It's getting colder at night now so I'll let the frost finish the Geraniums off and then I can put the Daffodil bulbs in.

Offline Jack

« Reply #577 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:51 pm »
Hugo, do you protect your tree fern against frost?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #578 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:47 pm »
Normally I do but last year I didn't and got away with it.    A few years ago I lost one Australian Tree fern because I didn't protect it from the frost and it died.   I scooped the top of the fern out and put an ordinary fern in the crown instead but am not sure if it has taken or not.
This year I'll cut the leaves off and protect the crown with a type of fleece blanket soon.   At the moment the fern is quite green and healthy and I must admit that I hate cutting them off while they are still looking good but it has to be done.

Offline Jack

« Reply #579 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply Hugo, in the past I have dressed the crown of mine with straw and wrapped it in plastic sheeting but I think this year I will invest in a fleece!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #580 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »
I have used straw before and even some of my dog's wool but never plastic as I think that would make the fern sweat and could damage it or so I'm told.
With the fleece jacket, it breathes just like the fleeces we wear when we are walking and keeps the frost out too.   The fleece jackets are normally too big but I do use the excess fleece on the crown of the fern just for additional protection.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #581 on: December 07, 2014, 03:10:44 pm »
I just finished mowing the lawn on Thursday just before the rain and hail came down so I was quite lucky.
Against advice from other gardeners I kept the blades low so this will be my last mowing of the lawn until the coming Spring.   I've dozens of Daffodil bulbs planted in the lawn so fingers crossed that I haven't chopped the heads off like I have done in the past.     :o

Offline hollins

« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »
Signs of spring!

Offline hollins

« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »
I have just read in the National Trust magazine about another new area opening at Bodnant on 28 March. This one is called The Far End and here is a link to some info about it.

https://bodnantgarden.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/far-reaching-dream-coming-to-fruition/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »
Beautiful photos Hollins and so nice to see such nice colours at this time of year.   I must visit St Mary's Church in Caerhun soon as there is usually a good display of Snowdrops there about this time of year.
You must be pleased with that camera of yours as those photos you've posted are really good.    $good$